tires and lift

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

OpieOnCrack
Regular
Regular

tires and lift

Post by OpieOnCrack »

I have had the good fortune of being given a new set of 11.5 x 31" tires for a 15" rim. My question is what modifications must be made and what backspace should my wheels have. The rims the tires are mounted to are 6 lug. Is there any adapter that exists to mount on my 5-lug crew?

Thx in advance.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

You will need at least 2 " of lift and trimming will still be needed.
There may be adapters, but you will spend more on them than replacement wheels will cost, not to mention you will not have enough rearspacing when you are done.
I would say sell them and put the money toward a set of tires that will fit much better.

6" rearspacing is stock, venture far from that and you will run into problems. Put a front tire up on the curb and turn your tire to where it comes closest to the rear of the opening. Take a measurement. This is what you have to play with. Reduce rearspacing and, or add wider tires and this measurement decreases.
Those 11.5" tires reduce that number by 1.25". We do not have that much room to spare, and that is with the stock wheels.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but those wheels and tires are not going to work for you.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

I agree you will need atleast 2 inches of lift. Crank the torsion bars and add shackles or a body lift, or both would be good. With that said, you may still rub. I have 30x9.5s with no rub but I did crank the tb and shackles on the rear, also with 1" spacers front and 1.5" back. Don't go further than that back if I had to guess or you'll rub, front you will need to atleast go 1", possibly more to prevent rub on the frame.

This will be trial and error.

A 31x10.5 tire is more standard and less width so more likely to fit. What kind of tires are these? Are they worn enough to make it worth the work and cost?

This site has some decent prices and good quality product you might find what you're looking for in adapters here:
Ebay Store EZ Accessory
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
OpieOnCrack
Regular
Regular

Post by OpieOnCrack »

These tires have less than 2000 miles on them. i was planning a 2" body lift but was not wanting to cut the truck. Thanks for the info. Any other ideas are helpful.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

That might be "do-able". a little massage with a hammer will clear the fender if you stick with the stock wheels.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
vrodracing90
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by vrodracing90 »

I am a newby to S-10's but I am confused? I understand that stock wheels have 6 inches of back spacing but......

If you go to 8 inch rims instead of stock what kind of back spacing do you use then?

If you are spacing the wheels out with spacers why not just get less back spacing on the rims?

Where did you get the spacers from?
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

You can simply get different backspacing on the rims. The front and rear however are not lined up on our trucks so the fronts will stick out a little further. That is why I personally chose to get spacers to equal the stance not offset it. You could easily get rims that will do the same job however. The choice is yours there are a few options out there.

That link above that I posted has spacers (labeled adapters on the site). I ordered 1" spacers for the front and 1.5" spacers for the rear. All were hub/wheel centric for a very decent price. They are also the correct OD for the wheels if you search for another thread you will see why that is important. I have had no issues so far and find them a quality product. Just look for wheel adapters, and get the 4.75 5 lug to 4.75 5 lug so there is no change.

Here is a list of the ones that fit our truck on that site.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
vrodracing90
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by vrodracing90 »

Thanks but please help me with the back spacing on a 8 inch rim. What changes as far as spacing on the 8 inch over 7 inch.

Isn't true that if you install a 31x10.5x15 on a 7 inch rim it is going to be over all taller than if you install it on a 8 inch rim?
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

I guess I don't follow, are we talking backspacing or rim size? The 31" tire is going to be 31" regardless of rim size. The backspacing just simply is the inches that the tire is going to be in or outward from the hub.

Check the links in this thread to understand wheel dimensions more.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
vrodracing90
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by vrodracing90 »

True what I am asking is that a stock rim if I am following right is 7 inchs with 6 inches of back spacing and I am going to a 8 inch rim what kind of backspacing should I be looking for? The most that I have been finding is 4 to 5 inchs.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

You will need as close to 6" as you can find. 4 1/2" is a minimum and be prepared for rubbing. The increased scrub radius can be too much.

Put a tire on the curb and take some measurements. Each can differ a little. Let us know how much clearance you have.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
24digger
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 24digger »

Our wheels are actually 8" wide if you measure outside to outside, but they measure them from bead to bead on the inside.

And I see what your saying about a 31" tire on a 7" rim versus an 8" or other size.

I think they would be different, minimal but different.
[size=75]2002 Yellow Crewcab, Gaylord X2000 Lid, Ventvisors, Painted to match bugshield, Stepshields, K&N filter,rear swaybar, Bed X-tender,Window Tint, 1.25" wheel spacers,overhead console with trip computer, steering wheel with radio controls, bilsteins, optima redtop, taylor wires. flowmaster 40 muffler, energy suspension swaybar bushings[/size]
vrodracing90
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by vrodracing90 »

I have found 5 inch but that has been hard finding that. It was in a 16 inch wheel.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The tire will play a part here too. The shape of the tread at the corner. Sharp corners rub worse. Rounded clear better.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
vrodracing90
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by vrodracing90 »

HenryJ wrote:The tire will play a part here too. The shape of the tread at the corner. Sharp corners rub worse. Rounded clear better.
BFG mud terrain, KO's or Goodyear MTR's for example
DeiselRed
Crew
Crew

Post by DeiselRed »

So with a 2" in Body lift you can fit 30x9.5s with no problem correct?
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

I run 30x9.5's on mine without a body lift, just t-bar tweak and shackles with 1" front spacers and 3" rear. You should be able to move up to 31x10.5 with no problem with the body lift and cuts, You might have some frame rub at full lock each vehicle is a bit different and a rounded shoulder design will work better than one with sharp corner lugs
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
DeiselRed
Crew
Crew

Post by DeiselRed »

Without altering anything in the suspension can you go 30x9.5?

And could you use bushwackers extend-a-flares to fit 33's?

and everything else is awnsered in the thread :P :lol:
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

DeiselRed wrote:.........could you use bushwackers extend-a-flares to fit 33's?......
No
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

30x9.5's will rub without at least the t-bar tweak and possibly the spacers. They will hit the back edge of the opening of the wheel well. and even with a t-bar tweak and spacer I do get some rubbing in the wheel well when hitting large bumps with a heavy load (4 people) but not too bad. If you do the cutouts and add a spacer you should be fine without tweaking the t-bar. YMMV though depending on the tire. I would do the cuts then go to a tire shop and test fit a tire you like to see if it will have clearance.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
DeiselRed
Crew
Crew

Post by DeiselRed »

Would you need spacers to fit 30x9.5 in order to not rub correct? I do plan on getting a 2in bodylift soon. The shackles and T-Bar mod will be next.

I guess my main question is would 30x9.5 fit with just a 2in bodylift.
Last edited by DeiselRed on Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

The 30x9.5 should fit with no problems at all with the body lift alone, they will look small in the wheel wells though
DeiselRed
Crew
Crew

Post by DeiselRed »

Can you go bigger then if they would look small? 0_0

I suspect the other mods would need to be done if your going any bigger right? :lol:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Check out AZS10Crews old truck. That was a good looking combination and very capable:

Image Image

- ThunderII KE7CSK
DeiselRed
Crew
Crew

Post by DeiselRed »

that looks great :) thats with a 2in BL with 30x9.5s?

Probably did the T-Bar crank and shackles in the rear?

Thats pretty much the look im going for.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

That is what Mark did. Nice truck for sure!

The black wheels with the stock S-10 hubcaps is a nice touch too. No question if that one is a 4x4.

My guess would be about $1000 to get there from stock, less the shields, lights and bar.
A very attainable and reliable way to go.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

The setup pictured is with 15x7 USWheel Daytonas (some places call the RockCrawlers) with 5" of backspacing and 30x9.5/15 Dunlop Mud Terrains (crappy tire in my opinion...but the did they job at the time), 2" PA body lift, front t-bar crank (added about 1"), and 1.5" lift Daystar non-greasable shackles on the rear. I think I might have added the Bilstein shocks by that point to FWIW.

Front tires rubbed on the bottom rear of the wheel well liner when turning and flexing...but it was nothing a BFH couldn't fix. If I remember right, there's kind of a lip built into the wheel well liner at the bottom rear than can be hammered up out of the way. That combo never rubbed on the fender at all.

Cost at the time came to about $800-$900 for the parts listed above (without the shocks). Will probably be slightly more today.

Oh...almost forgot...3" wheel spacers on the rear and no spacers on the front.

I eventually added 31x10.5" MT/R's and rubbed on the back of the front fenders pretty good. Eventually did the cutting and installed the Skidz flares.

If you need any more details, let me know.
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
DeiselRed
Crew
Crew

Post by DeiselRed »

Can you use stock ZR-5 rims to fit the 30x9.5s? And do you need 3in wheel spacers in the rear to fit them as well?
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Stock wheels are good for the 30's. Spacers are not needed but they bring the wheels out from under the wells and make the track more even (stock the rear is narrower.
DeiselRed
Crew
Crew

Post by DeiselRed »

Ahhh I understand. Thank you very much.
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

DeiselRed wrote:Can you use stock ZR-5 rims to fit the 30x9.5s? And do you need 3in wheel spacers in the rear to fit them as well?
I had those 30x9.5 Dunlops on my stock rims with no body lift for a while and they didn't really rub much at all under normal driving conditions...maybe a little on the bottom rear of the wheel well liner in the front when turning and hitting bumps, but not too bad.

The one place I remember they really did rub prior to the BL was during one off-roading trip when I sailed into a 2 foot deep x 10 foot long x 15 foot wide hole in a gravel road out in AZ at around 40mph. I made it just far enough over the hole to plant the front end squarely on the far side of the hole, which flexed the front end all the way up into the top of the wheel well. That made the tires rub the top of the wheel well liner as well as bend the lip down on the edge of the fender at the top of the wheel well opening. Scraped my skid plate pretty well too...fortunately I had just replaced the plastic POS with an aluminum one a few weeks prior. Kind of a fun "Oh Sh!t" moment. :)
[size=75]Mark
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
DeiselRed
Crew
Crew

Post by DeiselRed »

LOL omg...I bet that would be a Oh crap moment...must have scared you a little bit ^_^
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

DeiselRed wrote:LOL omg...I bet that would be a Oh crap moment...must have scared you a little bit ^_^
Yeah...especially because we were a good two hours from civilization out in the desert. But I was young and dumb then so it didn't really phase me. :lol:
[size=75]Mark
OpieOnCrack
Regular
Regular

Post by OpieOnCrack »

Will try to post pics after I wash it this weekend. Got all the height mods done.
DeiselRed
Crew
Crew

Post by DeiselRed »

PA body lift is ordered...I plan on doing the T-Bar tweak right after my body lift is done.

Now another question is I know that the 30x9.5's will fit.

But could I squeeze in 31's?? Depending on the type of Tire? Or would I need spacers?

I was looking at the BFG MT KM2's and the 31x10.5 seemed to look like a pretty smooth looking tire...smooth edges too. If I need wheel spacers Ill get some.
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

I run 31 10.50's on stock rims. The only rub I have is on sharp turns. The left front tire rubs the frame. I don't do much off roading mostly street use. I have no body lift.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

On the front, wheel spacers or any reduction in rear spacing will make a wider tire rub the rear of the fender worse.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

DeiselRed wrote:Now another question is I know that the 30x9.5's will fit.

But could I squeeze in 31's?? Depending on the type of Tire?
With a 2" BL, 31's will easily fit and the only rubbing you will have will be on the frame at full turn left or right.

The rubbing really isn't all that bad, but if it does bother you all you have to do is have someone with a welder add a little material to the factory steering stops. :wink:

I'm also picking up a set of the new BFG MT KM2's in 31x10.5/15 for my 05 Z in the next 2-3 weeks. :D

Several copmpanies are offering a $50-$100 rebate on a set of 4 right now.

Steve
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

killian96ss wrote:
DeiselRed wrote:Now another question is I know that the 30x9.5's will fit...........But could I squeeze in 31's?? Depending on the type of Tire?
With a 2" BL, 31's will easily fit and the only rubbing you will have will be on the frame at full turn left or right........
I'm going to have to comment on this one Steve. Each CC is different and maybe Steve had good luck with his and 31s but, I had problems with the 2" BL, TB crank with 30s. I had to do some cutting on the bottom of the fenders. "With a 2" BL, 31's will easily fit and the only rubbing you will have will be on the frame at full turn left or right......." is not written in stone and you shouldn't expect the same results that Steve experienced. You can hope for them but, don't be disappointed if, additional modifications are required.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

f9k9 wrote:Each CC is different.
Acually they are all identical dimensionally. :?:

Reed, you know I'm just messin with ya right? :poke:

I know the results can be different due to alignment of the cab and bed on the frame after lifting both to get the lift blocks in there, the amount of t-bar crank used, the choice of wheel spacers "if used", and ZR5's have different fender flares, but even those differences should be minor in the end.

I also removed a small piece of metal that was sticking out from the bottom rear of each fender well so that the tires would not get cut up.

Steve
OpieOnCrack
Regular
Regular

Post by OpieOnCrack »

I've done shackles, T-bar, 2" PA body lift, and fit 31" x 11.5" x 15's on stock rims. They rub slightly on extreme turns. I just don't make extreme turns at the moment. lol
okie s10
Crew
Crew

Post by okie s10 »

Wished I would have known 11.50's would have worked(with a little rub). I went with 10.50's and think I would have liked the look of extra width. Guess I just wait till I wear out these pizza-cutters!
[size=75]---Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans............John Lennon[/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

okie s10 wrote:I went with 10.50's. Guess I just wait till I wear out these pizza-cutters!
:lol:

Some members are running 9.5" wide 33's.

Now those are pizza cutters. :P

I can see a narrow tall tire being better for gas mileage and crawling over higher objects, but from my experience flotation and a larger contact patch works better on most surfaces like mud, snow, and most rocks. :wink:

Skinny tires tend to dig you into a rut faster than wide tires, but if there is a solid surface underneath a taller skinny tire might keep you a bit higher in the mud preventing it from getting into everything.

Some mud boggers like the skinny tires because they have more steering control when flying through the mud.

I wonder if I'm going to get attacked because I made fun of the skinnies? :hide: ..... :lol:

Steve
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

OpieOnCrack wrote:.............They rub slightly on extreme turns. ........
Define "extreme" for us. I despise my 10.50s on trails. 3+ point turns are a PITA. I'm guessing your keeping an eye out for 40 acre fields to make a turn. :!:
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

killian96ss wrote:
okie s10 wrote:I went with 10.50's. Guess I just wait till I wear out these pizza-cutters!
:lol:
I wonder if I'm going to get attacked because I made fun of the skinnies? :hide: ..... :lol:

Steve
It's all about balance for what the intended use is. "Skinny" tires have a value in gummy mud as they tend to float around less and clean better having less center area to clean. Just need to consider what the intended final use is. 8)
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
OpieOnCrack
Regular
Regular

Post by OpieOnCrack »

Mine rub on full lock either way. These are only about 1/2;' to 3/4" wider than the street tires that were on it when I got it. I just don't go the final few degrees when turning. Haven't had it in the mud or rough terrain yet. Will be a few months for that. But even there, I have room to roam and won't have to go to full lock.
YellowCrewCabber
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by YellowCrewCabber »

04crewvt wrote:I run 30x9.5's on mine without a body lift, just t-bar tweak and shackles with 1" front spacers and 3" rear. You should be able to move up to 31x10.5 with no problem with the body lift and cuts, You might have some frame rub at full lock each vehicle is a bit different and a rounded shoulder design will work better than one with sharp corner lugs
If I did just a 1 1/2" T-bar crank and the Boise spring kit on the back...can I mount the 30x9.5 15 until I can get the body lift done?
[size=75]04 ZR5 CC

Xbox Live Gamer Tag-Gefke6367[/size]
YellowCrewCabber
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Okay, okay, I found it. :P
[size=75]04 ZR5 CC

Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

I am very happy with my 1.5 t-bar and 1.5 shackle with the Skids cut out's in the front. I did the bumper stop mod too. I only have the frame rub but I can live with that. I have 31/10.50 on stock rims. And give me a hard time but I still have the stock shocks at 55,000 miles.
2002 GMC Sonoma crew cab 4x4. Tb mod, Air box mod, pre cat delete,B&M shift improver, Trans cooler, Big three ,AD-244 alt,Red top Optima, e-fan, HD Radaitor,265/70-16' on 16x8 TA wheels,, t-bar tweek, 1.5 inch shackles and 2 inch body lift,Skids fender trim, 1.5 inch wheel spacers in front and 2.5 in back, Quad mod and Frog lights.
Transfercase vacuum switch change DO IT!!!
YellowCrewCabber
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Jongo8 wrote:I am very happy with my 1.5 t-bar and 1.5 shackle with the Skids cut out's in the front. I did the bumper stop mod too. I only have the frame rub but I can live with that. I have 31/10.50 on stock rims. And give me a hard time but I still have the stock shocks at 55,000 miles.
And a hard time you shall recieve. GET RID OF THOSE STOCK SHOCKS. My preferred choice are Bilsteins. :wink: You won't be sorry but you will be impressed.
[size=75]04 ZR5 CC

F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:That might be "do-able". a little massage with a hammer will clear the fender if you stick with the stock wheels.
Key words is "might be doable". All rigs are a little bit different. I waited for Brule to answer your question since, he is a little more credible than me. :wink: