Probably a broken record.....

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

YellowCrewCabber
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Probably a broken record.....

Post by YellowCrewCabber »

lI have read alot of info here on different set ups but it seems (hope I'm wrong) that there is always a rubbing issue. Please tell me I'm wrong. A couple of questions though. What brand do you all think is the best for the lowest price. For the 2" body lift, the Boise spring/ or the shackle set up. (I'm thinking of going with the Boise spring) Shocks....from my understanding the Bilstein are the best but for $130 per shock they better last 300k miles. The front sway bar kit.
And best of all HOW MUCH FOR ALL THIS?
I like what bobblesmitty has set up. (no t-bar crank) If I do a crank it will be no more than an inch.
Oh yeah, If and when I get the goodies to do this. CAN SOMEONE COME TO FRANKLIN AND HELP ME DO THIS?? :lol:
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Okay, I went the Daystar shackle route four years ago. My rear has settled and if, I had it to do over again, I'd go with the Boise spring pack. I spent many miles on rough trails looking at the rear of HenryJ's CC and I know they work well! You are going to have to contact them for the current price but, I am guessing $200 for them. Bilstiens can still be had for $240 for a set of four if, you know how to search.

You're looking at $440 with the two mods.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The Performance Accessories PA-192 is the only 2" lift I have seen readily available. That would be my first choice. Check the box for missing parts, as that has been an issue.

I like the springs over shackles, but that is a budget issue. The springs are expensive. You can put shackles on for a lot less money. If you don't haul lots of weight or tow , the shackles will be fine.

Bilsteins are not $130 each. They are $62.95 each. Complete set of four delivered for $251.80 at shockwarehouse.com . Money well spent. I can not say they will go 300k miles, but I have a pair coming close to 200k right now. They are still good.

2" lift= $232
Springs= $200? Shackles $100
Shocks= $252

Total= $684 or $584

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:..............Total= $684 or $584
I forgot about the BL but, Brule is correct.

Toss in a few cans of PB Blaster or Sea Foam Deep Creep to soak fasteners daily, for a week or two before the job is planned. Maybe a pizza and the drink of your choice if, you have helpers.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
YellowCrewCabber
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Thank you for the help you all have been great. Sorry about the mix up on the price of the shocks. My fault.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I have said this many times, look for a local spring shop. Copy the pictures and directions from the BSW webpage that I did. Have your local shop build a kit and you will save quite a bit. Shipping being $50 is pretty expensive!

All that said, the comfort knowing they have done this kit many times, may be worth a little extra. I still get some heartburn over them not getting the u-bolt length right.
No one is perfect, I guess.

Do some research. A local shop building the kit is a good option if available.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

2" Performance Accessories body lift
Bilstein HD shocks
Daystar greasable shackles (if you do not tow alot or carry heavy loads), helper springs (springs on a budget) or a thicker spring pack with more leaves like the Boise kit.
Energy Suspension polyurethane sway bar kit

I had the 2" Performance Accessories body lift, Summit sway control helper springs (1-1/2" lift Daystar shackles replaced the helper springs), 1" t-bar crank, 31" Goodyear MT/R's, and the Energy Suspension sway bar bushing kit.

My CC handled better with the helper springs, but it did better off road with the shackles (more flex and a smoother ride).

The only rubbing I had was on the sway bar (inner tire) when the steering wheel was turned all the way to either side.

This rubbing was very minimal and could have been solved by just welding a little material to the factory steering stops. :wink:

Steve
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Bilsteins still $59.99 each front or rear for our trucks at Autozone online. Shipping free over 75 bucks which is no problem as two shocks beat that figure by themselves. Also lifetime guaranteed.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
YellowCrewCabber
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

HenryJ wrote:I have said this many times, look for a local spring shop. Copy the pictures and directions from the BSW webpage that I did. Have your local shop build a kit and you will save quite a bit. Shipping being $50 is pretty expensive!

All that said, the comfort knowing they have done this kit many times, may be worth a little extra. I still get some heartburn over them not getting the u-bolt length right.
No one is perfect, I guess.

Do some research. A local shop building the kit is a good option if available.
Thanks Henry. I will definately do that.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I really do not think that you need the help but, soak you junk down and I will help you here in, the spring. I have the air tools and am a master locater when stuff falls in the gravel! :lol: Between these guys here, heeps and trail repairs I have gotten pretty good! :wink:
YellowCrewCabber
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

[quote="f9k9"] I have the air tools and am a master locater when stuff falls in the gravel! :lol: quote] LOL Thanks K9 I appreciate the offer. Be nice if I could get it done before spring. That kind of money doesn't come easy for me. Wow, this is going to be an expensive project. I really want to do this though. Wish I would have knew about this site a few years ago.