Bilstein Shocks

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

PGH04ZR5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Bilstein Shocks

Post by PGH04ZR5 »

I can't seem to find this in print anywhere. Now that Bilstein is running buy 3 and get the 4th free sale I wanted to get a set. Do the 5100's only fit full size trucks? I have seem pics of your trucks with the yellow/blue 4600's and have read on here that they are some of the best. Just wondering if the 5100's would fit or not? The websites do not list our trucks as options but as reading in searches, those are not always accurate.

Thanks

BFrisk
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I don't think any of the stock suspension trucks are running either of those models.

All that I know about are running the Heavy Duty OEM replacement shocks.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Heres a link: http://www.shockwarehouse.com/index.cfm ... _year=2001
That will take you to the correct Bilstein Shocks for our CC, just scroll down a little and you'll see the complete set, add to cart.
$180 shipped!
Maybe this is the excuse I need to get myself a set instead of my Gabriel shocks??
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
YellowCrewCabber
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by YellowCrewCabber »

These are the same as the 04 models right??
[size=75]04 ZR5 CC

Xbox Live Gamer Tag-Gefke6367[/size]
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

The shocks would be the same. Thats a killer deal, free shipping.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
YellowCrewCabber
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

green02crew wrote:The shocks would be the same. Thats a killer deal, free shipping.
Sure is a killer deal. I'm gonna try like hell to get it. Ends April 30th.
[size=75]04 ZR5 CC

green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Well I have given in and got the Bilsteins. Came in today. I will see if I get a chance to install tomorrow before work as long as I have time and its not too cold. That is quite the sale they are having, motivation for those that have not purchased shocks to get them now!
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
YellowCrewCabber
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Getting closer...

Just ordered the Bilsteins. Boise Spring Kit will be next.
[size=75]04 ZR5 CC

green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

I installed mine couple days ago. Thanks to this deal online I have great shocks! They do make a difference over what I had, not huge but there. I would say as big a difference as the twin tube pressurized I had vs stock. Ride is actually smoother, handling about the same. Can't complain there! Good purchase too since one of my 4 previous shocks was already gone, would not rebound on its own. Go cheap and you pay twice. They had a lifetime warranty but not worth replacing.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
DLP
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by DLP »

Ordered a front set of Bilsteins tonight. I had a problem with the front end making a clunking noise when I hit any little bump. When I had the T-bars cranked up a couple months ago, the clunking got worse and on both sides. I had a set of Ranchos with 55,000 miles on them. Time for a change. Had my son push down on the push bar and the truck bounces and makes the clunk at each time it reaches the top. As he bounced the suspension, it looks like the Rancho shocks are bottoming out before the armes hit their stops. So I am not sure if the shocks are worn out or if they were too short. Either way I will be able to count them out in a couple days.
[size=75][b][color=blue]2003 Blue Crewcab[/b][/color][/size]
DLP
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by DLP »

Got the shocks and installed them today. Same issue as the Ranchos. Had to run them upsidedown and without the boots to clear the CV boots. But they work great! No more torsion bar rattle and the truck rides so much better. I didn't realize I had 55,000 on the Ranchos. Both of them were shot beyond belief. Looking forward to my road trip to Florida next week. Hope my tranny cooler gets here tomorrow.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

With the Bilsteins the boots are down in the rear and they are up in the front. Do a little more research but, leaving that tube exposed on the fronts will be sentencing them to a very short life span. Nothing is backwards about them. You sound like me and you need to accept that things have changed a little in the past 3 decades. :wink:

[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
DLP
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by DLP »

At first I put the fronts on with the boots up. The tube rubbed on the CV boot at full turn just sitting level. I don't want to rip or burn one of the CV boots. So I flipped the shocks and cut the covers off. They are the same diameter as the Ranchos I had. When I ordered the Ranchos, it said in the add they needed to be installed upside down. I will keep an eye on them.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Something is amiss, my friend. Have had mine on without issue for over 3 years. We can compare part numbers and photos later in the week but, something is bad wrong or they changed part numbers and design since late '03
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
DLP
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by DLP »

Do you know if the valving will have any effect being upsidedown? Oil/gas and passages looking like the shock is too full or too empty.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

DLP wrote:Do you know if the valving will have any effect being upsidedown? Oil/gas and passages looking like the shock is too full or too empty.
I do not have time to research tonight but, I do know that Brule and I are running the same HD shocks. I do not remember any serious install problems. All I do remember is "boots down" rear and "boots up" front.

Here is a thread.

Here is another

thread :wink:
DLP
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by DLP »

I have read all the threads about the shocks that I could find. And there were a lot of them! . Not a 50/50% member boot up or boot down. But it does seem that most all that reported boot down members changed over from Ranchos like myself.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

There have been a few converts from Ranchos. All I am saying is that those with HD Bilstiens run the fronts boots up.. I have given you an out in the way that they may have changed designs and the boots up will no longer work. I have given you the option to exchange photos and part numbers later this week.

What exactly do you want to say or to have me me say?

Run them however you wish but, do not look to several of us to support your wish.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

If you are running the body up and boot down, make sure you are not hitting the upper a-arm on the body of the shock when the suspension is unloaded.

Bilsteins use a springless design and may be more sensitive to running upside down? I have nothing to back that up with though.

It has been a very long time since my install.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Gotta agree with Brule and Reed on this one. I installed mine a little over a year ago with boots up in front and boots down on rear. No perceptible rubbing issues or other problems ever since. My truck is stock height with only minimal T-Bar crank to level to stock heights which was done to correct hang-down on right side of truck.

Also of note when I installed mine. There are drain holes on the boots and installing the shocks any way other than I just described would position these drain holes incorrectly so they held any water that got inside the boot bellows and cause further damage to the shocks via rust or possibly seal damage.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
DLP
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by DLP »

f9k9 wrote:There have been a few converts from Ranchos. All I am saying is that those with HD Bilstiens run the fronts boots up.. I have given you an out in the way that they may have changed designs and the boots up will no longer work. I have given you the option to exchange photos and part numbers later this week.

What exactly do you want to say or to have me me say?

Run them however you wish but, do not look to several of us to support your wish.
Sorry if I sounded like I was whinning. Was not ment that way at all. I appreate(sp) all of your help. I don't mean to second guess those of you who know more about this truck than I do.

So I went back outside tonight and started looking things over. I pulled the drivers side tire off and turned the wheel. The outer CV boot just misses the shock shaft. So I did the same with the passenger side. The inside CV boot clears the shaft by a couple inches. Got to looking at the CV boots. The left and right outer boots are different lengths. The drivers side one is quite a bit longer and is clamped closer to the inner boot. That makes the boot stick out closer to the shock. This is the one I test fitted at first. I turned both shocks upright and replaced the shock covers. Tomorrow, I will change out the half-shaft on the drivers side. The boot isn't torn or loose. Just a different one. I have had the truck since it was new and never changed the CV boots.

Thanks again for the help. I didn't mean to come off wrong. Darrell
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

DLP wrote:...........Tomorrow, I will change out the half-shaft on the drivers side........
Wow, that sounds extreme but, your scenario is highly unusual. I'd almost risk the shock versus going to that much work. If you do replace it, go with a good one. Good luck!
YellowCrewCabber
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Well aparently my shocks were back ordered. Suppose to get them this week. Got a little nervous reading the last few posts. For a moment I thought I had ordered the wrong shocks. :shock:
[size=75]04 ZR5 CC

DLP
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by DLP »

My buddy had the day off today. So he changed out the half-shaft for me. I would have chanced it rubbing for awhile. But I am heading to Florida Saturday. I didn't want to take chances on a 3,000 mile trip.
mcluvin
Regular
Regular

Post by mcluvin »

i ordered mine today we'll see how they do
mcluvin
Regular
Regular

Post by mcluvin »

well i pu the bilstiens on over the weekend and wow what a difrance of course the stock shocks with 62000 miles on them were shot probly when i bought the truck but the bilstiens are awsome non the less