Superlift - CV Axle Boot & Turning Issues

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

BobbyMarks

Superlift - CV Axle Boot & Turning Issues

Post by BobbyMarks »

Recently I had the 6" Superlift suspension lift installed in my S-10. At first I noticed the right boot loose, after that I had both CV axles installed new just as a precaution and now two weeks later the boots on both CV axles are broken. I was wondering if any of you guys had any solutions to this problem. And another thing I noticed after mounting the lift kit was that the turning radius is waayy bigger now than before. My steering wheel now only spins one circle to each side, when before it used to do 2 and half i think.

Any ideas would be of good use and appreciation. THANKS
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Do you have some adjustment to back off the T-bars?

I think there were some more flexible CV boots available? Worth a search.

Most if not all the IFS lifted truck owners are gone. I think Steve still stops in now and then. A Pm to him might yield some insight. I don't recall his having problems though.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Re: Superlift - CV Axle Boot & Turning Issues

Post by F9K9 »

BobbyMarks wrote:Recently I had the 6" Superlift suspension lift installed in my S-10..............................
Welcome to he forum. Wish that you would have asked for opinions before the SL lift but, it is done. What are your plans for the rig? Hope that you post pics of your CC when you have time.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
BobbyMarks

Post by BobbyMarks »

Sorry I did'nt post before, i only read past post and used them to make my desicion on getting the lift kit, as soon as a I'm done mounting the wheels and tires I'll post the photos

Who is steve? how can i reach him? i would like to solve this problem with out getting rid of my truck.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Steve2003

Although I think I read his front end was trashed. Still maybe he will have recommendations as I think his lasted longer than most.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:............ I think his lasted longer than most.
That is my understanding, as well. If, he does not chime in, remind me and I will email him. We seem to still keep in touch.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
bwenny247
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bwenny247 »

Had my BDS lift on the truck for about a little over a year before I sold mine. Never had any issues with it, or the front end. (I did replace the front wheel bearings, but that's what you get for 33X12.50 MT's)

The only reason I sold it was because I had to do my student teaching. 4 months without an income, while paying just over $3000 to be allowed the "privillage" of student teaching, with insurance, rent and a truck payment. I couldn't afford it anymore. I loved my lifted crew and if I would have planned a little better, I'd still have it today.
[size=75]*SOLD* 5" BDS, 2" PA, 33" MT's, HPPIII , Airaid TB spacer, K&N FIPK, March pulleys, 2.5" straight pipe, Trucktec tonneau, Herculinered body line down, 3/16" custom skid plates[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

bwenny247 wrote:Had my BDS lift on the truck for about a little over a year before I sold mine. Never had any issues with it, or the front end. (I did replace the front wheel bearings, but that's what you get for 33X12.50 MT's) .....................................
I for one remember your fondness off your CC and you put allot of time in it.
That was a sweet exhaust exit that you had on it. I turned to you about roll on bed liner sprayed quarter panels versus professionally applied and you recommended no to the "whatever" brand that you roll on yourself.

It might be time to to just give impressions of the CC and what we actually did with them. I know you hammered the snot out of yours. How often were you off pavement? What percentage did you hammer it?

I am a friend but, how hard did you hammer it off road? These guys are younger than you and I but, we need to pass on what we have done through trial and error and save them the headaches. These rigs are well out of warranty unless an aftermarket one was purchased.
bwenny247
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bwenny247 »

thanks for the kind words :oops: making me blush, lol

I wheeled my truck about 2-4 times a month. I never ran it in/on the rocks, always in the mud. that truck, and those tires, loved the mud. It was always sweet when you rolled out and got back on pavement...you could hear the gentle clunk, clunk, clunk of chunks of mud flying off the tires and landing on the roof and hood. I've got a picture of it up in my classroom, all my students give me that look like i'm nuts and ask me if I'm crazy for selling it. :lol:

I loved that truck, I always got compliments on it. I should try and track the kid down that I sold it to...actually I don't even remember his name :(
[size=75]*SOLD* 5" BDS, 2" PA, 33" MT's, HPPIII , Airaid TB spacer, K&N FIPK, March pulleys, 2.5" straight pipe, Trucktec tonneau, Herculinered body line down, 3/16" custom skid plates[/size]
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

I havent read alot of the threads but has all the 5/6 in lifts taken there toll on the front ends of the S10s.
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

jeff024 wrote:I havent read alot of the threads but has all the 5/6 in lifts taken there toll on the front ends of the S10s.
No one remains active here. I don't want to be a naysayer but, I do believe that either lift may be ok for the mall but. moderate offroading is tough on it. Most have either evolved into something else or.......whatever! We are on our second and third gen CC owners now. We do need to stress the search function to them though :wink:
mcluvin
Regular
Regular

Post by mcluvin »

ok so i just got my 02 cc. i am planning on getting the superlift. would it be practical for me for daily driving and very mild wheeling just to get to fishing and hunting holes?
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

mcluvin wrote:ok so i just got my 02 cc. i am planning on getting the superlift. would it be practical for me for daily driving and very mild wheeling just to get to fishing and hunting holes?
:bonk:

Save your money and get something cheaper as a huntin' and fishin' rig. I got a lifted XJ 2 yrs ago for 2K and they are cheaper now!

Either way be prepared to wrench on a lifted Heep or a lifted ifs S-10.

As a plus, you now have no worries if, you roll the Heep!

Last edited by F9K9 on Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
mcluvin
Regular
Regular

Post by mcluvin »

thanks and i will do some more searching
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Let's do a little math. :wink:

6" SUPERLIFT Bare bones lift, MSRP........$2,299.23. Their better kit is $2,541.22 !

Doing a quick google for prices I found the bare bones kit for $2043.95 w/free shipping!

Let's say you can get the install done for $500 and that is dreaming. We are now at approx $2550.

Now to be on the cheap side you want to keep your rims but, you want to go with 33" tires. You'll need 5 of them because you need a same size spare to make it to home from the fishing trip and you've torn a sidewall that can't be patched. If, you want new meats then you might get some for around $1000 but, nothing spectacular. You then search for weeks or longer on Ebay, Craigslist and your local 4x4 forums and find a used set with 50% tread for $300. You are now anywhere between $2,350 and $3.050! If, you can do the install or have friends that will do it for free. It requires some welding and a torsion bar tool that is $150 plus.

Bottom line is that if, you want to keep your rims, get used tires and pay for the install, that cost will be on top of the base $2,350! I can pretty much promise you that no one will install it for $500. I have confused myself with the calculations but, they are all conservative.

I didn't even go into where you might store that 33" spare. It ain't even going to where your stock one is now. :wink:
mcluvin
Regular
Regular

Post by mcluvin »

yeah i've been toyin with the math myself and doin lots of searching... seems like the mystary lift is the way to go so i'll probly start makeing things happin in that direction...
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

That's it in a nut shell.. But very, very conservative.... If you have good luck....
2002 GMC Sonoma crew cab 4x4. Tb mod, Air box mod, pre cat delete,B&M shift improver, Trans cooler, Big three ,AD-244 alt,Red top Optima, e-fan, HD Radaitor,265/70-16' on 16x8 TA wheels,, t-bar tweek, 1.5 inch shackles and 2 inch body lift,Skids fender trim, 1.5 inch wheel spacers in front and 2.5 in back, Quad mod and Frog lights.
Transfercase vacuum switch change DO IT!!!
mcluvin
Regular
Regular

Post by mcluvin »

i don't really like the idea of cutting the fenders though at least not yet
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

I did the skids front cut on mine.. I like it. No rub now and everyone can't tell they are cut... You have to know to see it...
2002 GMC Sonoma crew cab 4x4. Tb mod, Air box mod, pre cat delete,B&M shift improver, Trans cooler, Big three ,AD-244 alt,Red top Optima, e-fan, HD Radaitor,265/70-16' on 16x8 TA wheels,, t-bar tweek, 1.5 inch shackles and 2 inch body lift,Skids fender trim, 1.5 inch wheel spacers in front and 2.5 in back, Quad mod and Frog lights.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

What really boggles my mind is that I do not "get" UTVs!

$10K+ and you can't even drive them to work or use them as a parts rig when you find out that they gave you the wrong parts for your CC. WTF???????

Add the tow rig and trailer and I get flashbacks to some robot saying "this does not compute!"
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

f9k9 wrote:What really boggles my mind is that I do not "get" UTVs!

$10K+ and you can't even drive them to work or use them as a parts rig when you find out that they gave you the wrong parts for your CC. WTF???????"
You can legally drive those here in AZ, heck you can license anything on wheels as long as you have liability ins, headlight/tailight/brakelight and some sort of horn. Those rubber bulb ones work too. :lol:
[size=75]I didn't do it, it was already like that when I got it.[/size]
Gary H
Crew
Crew

Post by Gary H »

f9k9 wrote:
jeff024 wrote:I havent read alot of the threads but has all the 5/6 in lifts taken there toll on the front ends of the S10s.
No one remains active here. I don't want to be a naysayer but, I do believe that either lift may be ok for the mall but. moderate offroading is tough on it. Most have either evolved into something else or.......whatever! We are on our second and third gen CC owners now. We do need to stress the search function to them though :wink:
Never see Quickbiker here anymore but I wheeled with him back in January and his CC seems to be doing well. Of course he SFA'd his truck so I guess nothing about CV's and such applies anymore. After reading all the problems some were having with their 5" and 6" lifts, I chickened out and left my CC stock and found something else to go off road with.
[size=75]Gary.
(AKA Rusty)[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Gary H wrote:.......Never see Quickbiker here anymore but I wheeled with him back in January.........
Paul pops in and out on occasions but, spends most of his forum time on Pirate. His build is still what I want to accomplish on mine.
I got side tracked buying a lifted XJ! Our trails here are tight and I watched a SFAed ZR2 extended cab (same wheel base as ours) mangle the bed on his with nice protection and he was conservative on the skinny pedal. After I closed up all the channels of the rain gutters on the XJ I bought a wrangler heep. I just can't mod the heep and CC at the same time. :lol:

Picked up this for $2K. Don't ask how much I wrenched on it or spent on it. :lol: :lol: It was already lifted when I bought it.

Same obstacle $10K later and probably another $3k since the photo was taken.

BTW, I am in no way promoting heeps. Merely attempting to discourage the newer members from sinking $3k in a S-10 if, they intend to wheel it.

That Cherokee climbing that 3' rock ledge was doable because the dude spotting me has forgotten more than I will ever know. The 2nd pic shows a "kid" spotting me on the same obstacle (different "line") is a Toyota exec at our Georgetown, KY plant. He lost a brother in a Jeep rollover wheelin' accident so, when he spots me, I pay attention.

Sorry, off of my safety soap box.
Gary H
Crew
Crew

Post by Gary H »

Yeah, I'm not trying to promote or demote anything either really but after reading everyone else's experiences with off roading lifted S-10's, I decided either spend the big bucks to SFA mine or just find something that was already SFA and work with that. My CC makes a nice comfortable daily driver for me and that's where I plan to leave it. I never really planned to build a Grand Cherokee (Limited no less, totally LOADED! :roll: ). It's really too nice to tear up on the trails so I do miss out on some of the more exciting runs but it sure is a lot more capable than my CC ever will be. I never give a second thought to going through an obstacle with the ZJ that I would never dream of taking my CC through. In fact, I went through one while the ZJ was still stock that hung up my CC (there's a picture around here somewhere of me and my CC high centered going into a mud hole).
[size=75]Gary.
(AKA Rusty)[/size]
Gary H
Crew
Crew

Post by Gary H »

By the way, to sort of get back on subject, is there any replacement CV boots out there that are more flexible than stock. I can't keep the one on the right side in place. Probably trashed the joint by now anyway from all the crud I'm sure has gotten in there by now.
[size=75]Gary.
(AKA Rusty)[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I do know that some are more flexible that others but, I do not know which ones and I am not talking about boots but, axles. If, it isn't trashed then refilling with grease and Brule's large hose clamp trick should work.
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

Gary H wrote:There's a picture around here somewhere of me and my CC high centered going into a mud hole).
:lol: :lol: :lol: Yep That Picture Still Exists.......

And Just To Be Fair Here Is A Picture Of You Not Stuck :D

Last edited by gocntry on Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Crew Is Gone, Now I Have A Hoe
Gary H
Crew
Crew

Post by Gary H »

gocntry wrote:
Gary H wrote:There's a picture around here somewhere of me and my CC high centered going into a mud hole).
:lol: :lol: :lol: Yep That Picture Still Exists.......
And I'm sure it will haunt me for a long time too! :lol:

Oh, and when I look at that last picture, I think about the "Tread lightly" thing and just cringe. They eventually closed off that area and it was because everyone (including us) was back there tearing things up.
[size=75]Gary.
(AKA Rusty)[/size]
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

Gary H wrote:Oh, and when I look at that last picture, I think about the "Tread lightly" thing and just cringe. They eventually closed off that area and it was because everyone (including us) was back there tearing things up.

:oops: Opps, Sorry 'Bout That. I Removed The Picture
Gary H
Crew
Crew

Post by Gary H »

Oh, I don't know that you had to remove it. I've since learned better but it's fun to look back sometimes.

(Of course it was fun spraying mud everywhere too! :evil: )
[size=75]Gary.
(AKA Rusty)[/size]
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

Gary H wrote:Oh, I don't know that you had to remove it. I've since learned better but it's fun to look back sometimes.

(Of course it was fun spraying mud everywhere too! :evil: )

Ok Put It Back :lol: Just Didn't Want To Post A Pic Of You Doing Stuff That Made You "Cringe"
14x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 14x4 »

(I didn't want to make a new thread for this because it's been discussed a billion times already.)

I want more lift but I don't know what to do. For the past 2 months I've been researching and I'm still not sure. Obviously, my only options are a suspension lift or SAS. Correct me if I'm wrong - a suspension lift is cheaper, but a solid front axle is more durable, right?

I'd rather have a SFA, but I think a suspension lift is much more doable. A SAS seems like it would cost way too much considering I'd have to have a shop do it for me. If I chose the SL, the guy who helped me with my body lift can also help me with the SL (for cheap).

One of the main reasons I want more lift is for looks (no, no I'm not a street queen). I don't off-road nearly as much as I'd like (and when I do, I'm very gentle), so I don't think I'd be too worried about destroying the front end if I get a suspension lift.

I know you guys aren't too keen on suspension lifts but what do you think? I really really want more lift - I think about it every day - so please don't say neither. :lol:

By the way, has anyone seen this guy's truck before? http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2432907
03 ZR5. 4-Linked Dana 44
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

Check out S10Extremist.org , They have a lot to say about IFS and SAS. With lots of HOW TO's and amazing economic solutions, all tried and true.
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

14x4 wrote:... a suspension lift is cheaper, but a solid front axle is more durable, right?
Maybe. I think they both come pretty close to the same price in the end if you go small and simple. Leaf springs and an axle are not all that bad if you find used. The best part is that you are going to get gears in this purchase. That will be extra for the Superlift.
One of the main reasons I want more lift is for looks...
I know you guys aren't too keen on suspension lifts but what do you think? I really really want more lift - I think about it every day - so please don't say neither.
Neither. MML and be happy.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:............................Neither. MML and be happy.
I am afraid that is the bottom line and the sad truth.

A SuperLift 6" ZR2 appeared, here in town, about 10 months ago. I have seen 4 different drivers in the rig since then. I am fully aware that I live in SE KY but, those four guys could not be from the same household so, it has changed hands, at least twice.
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

Everyone that I have known that had an s10 with 5 and 6 inch lift sold them with in months after modding them.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Jongo88 wrote:Everyone that I have known that had an s10 with 5 and 6 inch lift sold them with in months after modding them.
That has been the case here too. A couple kept them a year. Steve is the only one to go long term.
Paul pulled his and went SFA. Even those who went SFA have sold them pretty quickly it seems. Justin, and at least one other that I can recall.

The body lifted and MML trucks seem to be held for about the longest, well besides the stock unaltered trucks.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
14x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 14x4 »

I knew you guys wouldn't want me to do it. :lol:

Well, at least you're lookin' out for me. I guess I will stick to performance modifications for now. Maybe in a few years when I get a new DD, I can put a SFA on the CC. (I don't think the dream will die...)

Hell, maybe I should just start saving my money for Moab 2011?!
03 ZR5. 4-Linked Dana 44
14x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 14x4 »

So what is it again, that makes people want to sell their trucks after a major lift? Ride quality? Gas mileage?
03 ZR5. 4-Linked Dana 44
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

The guys I know said they where never right after the lift. Creeking moaning and groaning, Mpg, speed, things broke all the time. They just were never right. The three I have as friends wish they never did the lift.
But that is just the 7 or 8 people that I know.
14x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 14x4 »

I see. That's a shame.
03 ZR5. 4-Linked Dana 44
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Let me throw this out here rather than starting another thread. I was probably active in a bunch of S-10 forums and came and went with them as the interest rose and fell. Yes, it always rose after it fell.

One of the forums was S-10Planet.com. I recently ran into the owner, who joined my local off road club. At one time he was all about slammed dimes and I know diddly about wet or dry NOS and all of what they do nor do I desire to learn. I know his rigs were desirable with that crowd and that is about it.

He was a newbie to our club. He wheels a '92 Toy Land Cruiser on 36" swampers and has a ball. It is a rig similar to HJ's friend, Jack, that owns 4wdTrips.com (or something close to that) that I met in Moab.

It's about keeping an open mind and to recognize a vehicle's limitations. You can spend to much money to make our CCs completely capable for complete moderate off roading and by then it will have morphed into a trailer queen unsuitable to drive to trail heads.
1000 miles away.

I know that I am rambling here and have even slept since I began this response. The bottom line is to recognize what you want to do with your cc in the long haul. Our club newbie still hosts S-10 planet and is still active with his "dime" but, went another route when he wanted to off road.

Quickbiker, aka Paul, once wrote that you will never capture a photo of a jeep being pulled out of a jam by anything other than a jeep. That was because my wife, at the time, failed to get a photo of me janking a heep out of a mud hole. Well, I don't mind posting a pic of the newbie's Toy helping me out of a jam this past weekend. While he didn't actually pull me out, his monster served as an anchor point that I could winch to.

border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

Holy crap, what's up with the front/right wheel?? Angle just doesn't look right :?: Broken axle?
[size=75]I didn't do it, it was already like that when I got it.[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

border man wrote:Holy crap, what's up with the front/right wheel?? Angle just doesn't look right :?: Broken axle?
It's just the angle of the pic, I guess, Bro. It's got a lot of flex. More flex than the pictures below. I get more flex now since I got rid of those POS Rubicon Express control arms and upgraded to Currie Enterprise's CA with johnny joints on each end. Plus remember, that our CCs greatly flex when the front sway bar is discoed. Heeps just flex more when discoed and you just need to set up the right bump stops to keep the tires out of the sheet metal.

You just have to remember when or what makes the suspension "unload" or you'll go over and end up with a flopped rig. :roflmao:

MinnesotaMudder
Crew
Crew

Post by MinnesotaMudder »

I have had my CC with a 6'' superlift for 2 years, the only problem's that i've had was that the front drive shaft broke twice. now i am getting a new modified front drive shaft to fix the problem. Also a wierd squealing noise before everytime it shifts gears. I'm still trying to figure that mystery out. my gas milage is around 13-15 in town and 17-20 on highway i don't think it to bad.
14x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 14x4 »

MinnesotaMudder wrote:my gas milage is around 13-15 in town and 17-20 on highway i don't think it to bad.
Is that with or without increased MPG mods like a programmer, e-fan, gears, etc.?
03 ZR5. 4-Linked Dana 44
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

MinnesotaMudder wrote:...my gas milage is around 13-15 in town and 17-20 on highway i don't think it to bad.
Not bad at all. Sorry to be a skeptic, but check your speedometer. That is better than the window sticker for mileage on the up side. 13 to 17 mpg is believable and pretty typical too.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
MinnesotaMudder
Crew
Crew

Post by MinnesotaMudder »

My speedometer is only running 2 mph slower with the lift. there were no mods made to my truck to help with the mpg the only thing i did was change the sparkplugs. Also just a WARNING to all the people that think about getting the 6'' superlift exspect to get your front drive shaft extended.