New tire opinions

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

blks10
Crew
Crew

New tire opinions

Post by blks10 »

I am going to get new tires. 31" Off road tires, and I am looking to get opinions on tires that will be good on asphalt and in mud. These are for Crager 15x8 rims. Thanks!
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Goodyear MT/R - This tire is great in the mud, on the rocks, in heavy rain, and on unpacked snow. :thumb: It's not so great on ice or packed snow. :? I've managed to get over 50k out of my last 3 sets. :D

BF Goodrich MT KM/2 - This is still a new tire, but my brother swears it is a s good as the Goodyear MT/R that he usually runs on his lifted Cherokee. I trust his opinion on this tire since he does much more off roading than I do.

Steve
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

BFG ATs are hard to beat IMO
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Asphalt and mud are on the far sides of the spectrum. What is better for one side will be sacrificed on the other.
You are not going to find one perfect for both. Dig deeper into what matters the most.
Mud can really differ from one place to the other too.

Our mud around here has lots of clay. Big wide spaces and lots of speed to fling out the chunks. They are noisy and usually wear much faster. Directional tires do better too, but most have done away with those.

Asphalt tires need rain grooves and tread much closer together.

Look around at what ranchers or farmers are running. They usually have the tires that work best for your area. They tend to go for a good value too.

Now if you are just wanting that aggressive look and meat of a tough off-road tire, go with what looks good to you. Every make has a tire. Kumho have some to offer. BFG has a new redesigned MT/R (keep in mind that MT does not stand for Mud Terrain Radial. It stands for Maximum Traction Radial.) The new design follows the European Pirelli asymmetrical tread design. This has been a good performer as I understand it.
Maxxis has many good offerings. I really liked my old Buckshot radials.
Too many choices.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
blks10
Crew
Crew

Post by blks10 »

Thanks for all the opinions, gentlemen. I am going to look into all of them! Thanks again, you guys are great help!!!
DLP
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by DLP »

I just bought a set of Cooper AST in 31x10.50 today. I don't know too much about Cooper tires but the price was right. I will give them a try. Then put them on my son's Cherokee this fall.
[size=75][b][color=blue]2003 Blue Crewcab[/b][/color][/size]
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

I second the goodyear wrangler mt/r tires. I would also like to add firestone destination a/t to the mix. I use those as my summer tires and the goodyears as my winters as they are better in the deep snow. I have not had any issues with either one and will continue to run both. The firestones rate high on tirerack.com
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
bwenny247
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bwenny247 »

Dayton Timberland MT's are a great looking tire and hard to beat for their price.

If you don't want to go that aggressive, look at the AT model.

It's the same tire as the highly rated Firestone Destination MT and AT lineup, but cheaper because of the Dayton name on it.
[size=75]*SOLD* 5" BDS, 2" PA, 33" MT's, HPPIII , Airaid TB spacer, K&N FIPK, March pulleys, 2.5" straight pipe, Trucktec tonneau, Herculinered body line down, 3/16" custom skid plates[/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

I just bought a set of the new BF Goodrich T/A MT KM/2 tires (31x10.5R15) for my 05 ZR2. :D

The first thing I noticed was how quiet they are. :shock: These tires are as quiet as most of the AT's out there. The new tread design is very aggressive and I'm sure it will do a bit better in the mud than the Goodyear MT/R's that I usually run. When I get some miles on them including some off road fun time I will post a review for you guys. :wink:

I got all 4 tires from Discount Tire/Americas Tire for a total of $715. BF Goodrich is offering a $70 rebate right now on these and other tires that they make. :wink:

Goodyear has a new Kevlar MT/R out now that looks to be a good tire. I will most likely try these after the new BFG's are done. Judging by the new tread design they should do better on packed snow, and ice. Goodyear is offering a $50 rebate right now on most of their tires. :wink:

Steve
DLP
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by DLP »

I am a little POed about the Coopers I got today. They look small for 31's. After I got home, I was measuring them to enter into the Hypertech. They are infact 3 1/2" shorter in 1 full revolution then the 1/2 worn out Goodyear Longtrail 31's I had on. 91 1/2" verses 94 3/4". They do fit better in the wheelwells and don't rub the frame. I did weld a piece of stock onto the turning stops. But the bigger tires still hit the frame on a hard turn.
blks10
Crew
Crew

Post by blks10 »

Has anyone had/heard about the Dick Cepek Crushers???
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

I haven't heard anything specific, but those off-road company type tires (Mickey Thompson, etc.) are more for purpose built trail rigs, so long-term durability and tread-wear is often poor. IMHO.
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
blks10
Crew
Crew

Post by blks10 »

AZS10Crew wrote:I haven't heard anything specific, but those off-road company type tires (Mickey Thompson, etc.) are more for purpose built trail rigs, so long-term durability and tread-wear is often poor. IMHO.
You raise a good point, sir. I knew a few of my friends had them on their jeeps and whatnot, and they loved them. But after seeing your response, I did some looking on reviews, and what you said was correct :thumb:
YellowCrewCabber
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by YellowCrewCabber »

bwenny247 wrote:Dayton Timberland MT's are a great looking tire and hard to beat for their price.

It's the same tire as the highly rated Firestone Destination MT and AT lineup, but cheaper because of the Dayton name on it.
How many miles have you gotten on your Timberlands MT's? How's the tire noise?
[size=75]04 ZR5 CC

Xbox Live Gamer Tag-Gefke6367[/size]
Gary H
Crew
Crew

Post by Gary H »

DLP wrote:I am a little POed about the Coopers I got today. They look small for 31's. After I got home, I was measuring them to enter into the Hypertech. They are infact 3 1/2" shorter in 1 full revolution then the 1/2 worn out Goodyear Longtrail 31's I had on. 91 1/2" verses 94 3/4". They do fit better in the wheelwells and don't rub the frame. I did weld a piece of stock onto the turning stops. But the bigger tires still hit the frame on a hard turn.
I had the same thing with a set of Coopers I bought. They were supposed to be 9.5"x30"s but really measured out to 28.25" (basically stock tire size). They wouldn't stay balanced and finally the belts separated on one of them. No more Coopers!

Might have to try a set of the BF Goodrich T/A MT KM/2 tires next time around on my Jeep. Got Dunlop Mud Rovers (12.5x33-15). They work good off road but are really loud on the highway and don't seem to last too long either.
[size=75]Gary.
(AKA Rusty)[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I'm running TrXus MTs on my heep. Really nice on the road and quiet for a MT tread design. Sidewalls are pretty stiff and I need to air them down to around 9 psi to get some flex off road.

[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

killian96ss wrote:I just bought a set of the new BF Goodrich T/A MT KM/2 tires (31x10.5R15) for my 05 ZR2. :D

The first thing I noticed was how quiet they are. :shock: These tires are as quiet as most of the AT's out there. The new tread design is very aggressive and I'm sure it will do a bit better in the mud than the Goodyear MT/R's that I usually run. When I get some miles on them including some off road fun time I will post a review for you guys. :wink:

I got all 4 tires from Discount Tire/Americas Tire for a total of $715. BF Goodrich is offering a $70 rebate right now on these and other tires that they make. :wink:
Steve
Thats a sweet looking tire. But being more of a mud tire, it woudnt be smart to get that tire for the every day drive vehicle would it? I read it has great on road charateristics, but tread wear is what concerns me...

Its even .3" taller then the BFG all terrain. :P I love that the look of that tire, and how the thread isnt so close together like the bfg AT. Its been a few more months, any new opinions on it?
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

fallvitals wrote:Thats a sweet looking tire. But being more of a mud tire, it woudnt be smart to get that tire for the every day drive vehicle would it? I read it has great on road charateristics, but tread wear is what concerns me. Its been a few more months, any new opinions on it?
So far I am very happy with the new BFG MT's. :D They are easily the quietest mud tires I've ever heard and when aired down to 15 psi they are excellent on the rocks and in the mud. I have not had these tires in snow or on ice yet so I can't give any info there, but they are very good in the rain. It will be some time before I can get an accurate mileage estimate, but I expect to get no less than 40k out of them.

The last 2 sets of Goodyear MT/R's that I had on my CC and ZR2 lasted 50k miles each, so the idea that "mud tires" do not last very long is simply not true. To get high mileage out of mud tires you need top make sure your alignment is checked and adjusted if needed when you first have the tires installed and then it should be checked every other year after that. Tire pressure and good balancing are also very important as is rotating them every oil change. :wink:

Steve
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Through searching on google, I read a lot of people say they were like super swampers. Which I wasn't sure how those wear, so I googled that, and people are saying 25K out of em!

40K would be acceptable. I think my old Cooper Cobras for my 2wd s-10 barely did that. But ill be honest, I never did take the time to rotate em.

Those Km2s have the mud look to em, but the tread is still close together looking like it would give good onroad handeling, and wear life. Plus they tread isnt so close together that its gonna catch and flings rocks at you all the time like the BFG AT.

But for me i will be doing very limited offroading, maybe, 7 times a year id say and the stuff I do wont be hardcore or anything. Think I should just stick with BFG ATs?

edit- iv been reading, some people say the KM2s are "scary" in the rain, others say good, liek you. Now ice/snow in the winter here is an issue... thought we rarely get many good snows any more. I read the wear is great. How did they effect your gas milage? or have you been runing like tires for so long you cant recall if they have? lol

I would LOVE to have those tires on my truck. I just dont know if it is the smart/safe/and economical (good wear, price isnt an issue) choice.
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

fallvitals wrote:Through searching on google, I read a lot of people say they were like super swampers. Which I wasn't sure how those wear, so I googled that, and people are saying 25K out of em!
They are nothing like Interco (SS) tires. Those tires are mainly designed for off road use only which is why people don't get very good mileage out of them.
But for me i will be doing very limited offroading, maybe, 7 times a year id say and the stuff I do wont be hardcore or anything. Think I should just stick with BFG ATs?
The BFG AT's are terrible in the mud, however they are pretty good in the snow and rain (while they are still new). The best tire choice for you depends on what type of terrain you will be driving on when you go off roading. I personally like having tires on that can handle anything you might encounter which is why I like a more aggressive tire than an AT.
How did they effect your gas milage?
My gas mileage hasn't changed at all with the new tires (18mpg average). :D If you keep the tires aired up to at least 35 psi your gas mileage should stay the same.

Steve
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

I totally agree with you on the more aggressive tire, IF it can have along life, and this KM2 looks like it can. The BFG AT is a good looking tire, but unless its been dry for a long time here, its gonna be muddy.

Your the only person I found on the web that says their MPG didnt change while using this tire. I read that a heavier tire will hurt your MPG, makes total sense, but I cant find a guide that has tire weight any where to compare them to my goodyear wrangler silentarmors.

I am very itnerested in em,, I think the MPG will be the make or break deal, but it will still be a while.

A Jeep Wrangler at work, I noticed last night it had some MTRs on it, very good lookin' tire. Mean lookin' too.

your 18mpg, is that mixed driving? or all highway, or city?
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

I would kill for 18 mpg..
2002 GMC Sonoma crew cab 4x4. Tb mod, Air box mod, pre cat delete,B&M shift improver, Trans cooler, Big three ,AD-244 alt,Red top Optima, e-fan, HD Radaitor,265/70-16' on 16x8 TA wheels,, t-bar tweek, 1.5 inch shackles and 2 inch body lift,Skids fender trim, 1.5 inch wheel spacers in front and 2.5 in back, Quad mod and Frog lights.
Transfercase vacuum switch change DO IT!!!
DLP
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by DLP »

I forget what the weight of our stock tire on stock rim was. But I did weight them and posted on here somewhere. The Long Trail 31s I had were 4 pounds per tire on stock rims heavier the the stock 235x75Rx15s. But I think the MPG loss is more do to footprint size and tread design along with the weight.
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

My BFG KM2's are the same size as my factory tires (31's). They are probably a little bit heavier than the factory tires, but so far I have seen no change in gas mileage. My Z averages 18 mpg city/highway.

I hope I can get 50k out of these like I did with my last 2 sets of Goodyear MT/R's, but I would still be happy with 40k.

Steve
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

DLP wrote:I forget what the weight of our stock tire on stock rim was. But I did weight them and posted on here somewhere. The Long Trail 31s I had were 4 pounds per tire on stock rims heavier the the stock 235x75Rx15s. But I think the MPG loss is more do to footprint size and tread design along with the weight.
I agree, I think its a lot of those factors that add up.

If 31s were factory tires.. then why do we have to to body lfits, torsion bar cranks, and fender trimming to get em to fit? unless im missing something?

From what I was told here, I had the "oversized" tires on mine (used) 235/75/15s. and those are 29s.

I really want those MTs, but i think it will hurt gas milage, I dont thikI would be as luckly as you, lol. But im looking for a good AT tire, something thats ok in mud, and doesnt suck like the BFG AT. So im looking for a nice AT tire that is as close to 30" as possible. But if I cant find anything, BFG it is.

Those GoodYear DuraTracs are pretty awesome, look like a 'hybrid' AT and MT. But nothing in 30x9.5x15 :twisted:
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

fallvitals wrote:.......If 31s were factory tires.. then why do we have to to body lfits, torsion bar cranks, and fender trimming to get em to fit? unless im missing something?...........
Only on ZR2 optioned S-10s. Different fenders and different frames.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

fallvitals wrote:If 31s were factory tires.. then why do we have to to body lfits, torsion bar cranks, and fender trimming to get em to fit? unless im missing something?
You are missing something. He no longer owns a crew cab. He owns a ZR2 now.
Don't plan on a heavier , more aggressive tire helping mileage. But , don't be surprised if a taller tire helps it.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Ohh, didnt read his signature, I was assuming he had a zr5 also. :oops:
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

My CC came with 235x75x15 tires. When I went to Goodrich AT tires (same size) I noticed a drop in mileage. I then aired them up to their rated max of 50psi and the mileage came back up. IMO the mileage loss was due to the stiffer sidewall construction of the AT's compared to stock tires with softer sidewalls. My .02 worth.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
bwenny247
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bwenny247 »

YellowCrewCabber wrote:
bwenny247 wrote:Dayton Timberland MT's are a great looking tire and hard to beat for their price.

How many miles have you gotten on your Timberlands MT's? How's the tire noise?
I ran them for a little over a year and put about 10,000 miles on them. They didn't even look worn at all. the tread was so deep a penny just about disappeared in it. this was after 10,000 miles of wear.

great aggressive tire, but the road noise was very mild. You could roll down the road and still have a typical conversation in the cab without shouting.
[size=75]*SOLD* 5" BDS, 2" PA, 33" MT's, HPPIII , Airaid TB spacer, K&N FIPK, March pulleys, 2.5" straight pipe, Trucktec tonneau, Herculinered body line down, 3/16" custom skid plates[/size]
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Airing the tires up to 50 psi, wont that wear the center of the tire out?

I have never taken the time to chalk my tires and go around the block, but the front tires have always seemed to low in the front, but always kept around 34psi.
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

HenryJ wrote:
fallvitals wrote:If 31s were factory tires.. then why do we have to to body lfits, torsion bar cranks, and fender trimming to get em to fit? unless im missing something?
You are missing something. He no longer owns a crew cab. He owns a ZR2 now.
Don't plan on a heavier , more aggressive tire helping mileage. But , don't be surprised if a taller tire helps it.
Sorry for the confusion! Yes, my ZR2 has factory 31's, but my 01 Crew Cab also had 31's and my mileage was always right around 16-17 mpg city/hwy combined. Sometimes a taller tire will increase highway mileage while slightly reducing city mileage. I know Brule said his gas mileage increased when he switched to 9.5" wide 33's. :shock:

Steve
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

Is there a factor thet with taller tires that your speedo is off along with the miles. Bigger tires slower speed and less miles. So if you put bigger tires on and you check your mpg it will be wrong...
2002 GMC Sonoma crew cab 4x4. Tb mod, Air box mod, pre cat delete,B&M shift improver, Trans cooler, Big three ,AD-244 alt,Red top Optima, e-fan, HD Radaitor,265/70-16' on 16x8 TA wheels,, t-bar tweek, 1.5 inch shackles and 2 inch body lift,Skids fender trim, 1.5 inch wheel spacers in front and 2.5 in back, Quad mod and Frog lights.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

killian96ss wrote:I know Brule said his gas mileage increased when he switched to 9.5" wide 33's
Narrower and lighter than 31" tires as well as the sweet spot for my gearing and driving.

HPPIII and a GPS come in handy for correcting the speedometer for the tire size difference.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

All I know is the raider gun says that mine is 3 mph off.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Mine was off that much stock too (3 mph). I thought I was getting great mileage when in fact it was much closer to advertised.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
DLP
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by DLP »

My stock tires ran about 3MPH off at 70. I had a GPS (Tom Tom), GPS (FourTrax) and a GPS (Megelen) in the truck at the same time. None of them were always the same at one time. After I got the Scan Gauge installed and chalked the actual tires for size, my MPG went down. I have a note book in the glove box of every car or truck I own. It shows every mod, repair, add-on, oil change and fillup since I owned it. I leave it with the vehicle when I sell them. I am kinda asanine (sp) about doing this. I even keep the same kind of log on the company van I drive. But I can see the MPGs went down when I went with the 31s. I can also see the MPGs going back up with the new 31s which actually measure out closer to 30s.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I confirm GPS readings across two GPS units and also the one that is never wrong... marked miles and a stopwatch.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
YellowCrewCabber
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by YellowCrewCabber »

bwenny247 wrote:great aggressive tire, but the road noise was very mild. You could roll down the road and still have a typical conversation in the cab without shouting.
Better late than never bwenny247. :wink: I've decided on BFG AT's this time around. Next set maybe the Dayton's we'll see. I do thank you for your reply.
Jeff
[size=75]04 ZR5 CC

Xbox Live Gamer Tag-Gefke6367[/size]
DeiselRed
Crew
Crew

Post by DeiselRed »

Since I did not want to start a new thread and we are talking about tires, I was wondering something. In your opinion, What 30x9.5 tire is the meatiest? (most tread compound on it)

I was debating on either the KM2 BFG or the Firestone destination MT on being the tires with the most tread compound. Whats your opinion boys?
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Goodyear Wrangler MT/R is staying near the top of my list.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

DeiselRed wrote:What 30x9.5 tire is the meatiest? (most tread compound on it)
Your question is confusing as the terms are being used incorrectly.
Compound refers the the make up of the rubber and the hardness or softness of it.
I think the term you were looking for is Tread depth? That would make more sense in the manner you were using the term.

Tire rack is a good place to research specifications.

Keep in mind that deep tread is not the whole answer. Tread design for the terrain, compound and driving habits all play in to what will work for you.
It can all be broken down further considering load, dealers, mounting options, tire size, budget and the list goes on.
You are going to have to give us lots more detail before any sort of reasonable suggestions can be offered.
you are going to be the best judge of what will be the best for your situation. All we can do is offer our experiences and opinions.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: New tire opinions

Post by WVHogRider »

I know this is an old thread, but I just wanted to give an FYI. I just got new tires last week. I went with General Grabber AT2's in the 235/75/15 since they didn't have the 30/9.5 size, that I usually get, in stock. They are designed after/like the BFG AT's, but less $$$$, which is good. We just got dumped on with about 15"s of snow, and the Grabber AT'2s handled great.
Image 8)
[size=75]'01 CC w/ a bunch of Mods. More always on the way.
Realization...All women need medication...Just find one on the right medication & make sure she stays on it!!!![/size]
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

lol, i saw a set of those at work one night (at ups), thought hey were bfg ats at first. Took a picture of the label and ment to google it, but have forgotten, lol. Wha did ya pay?
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Did you get the LT tires? What's the body construction? (Tread and sidewall plys) Load range? Inquiring minds want to know. Especially if they are nearing needing new tires! :lol: 8)
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

I know a few people that have these. I haven't heard any complaints and they do seem to be similar to the BFGs. If the tread compound is very similar I would imagine they would be a good cost replacement.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Sonoma GT
Crew
Crew

Post by Sonoma GT »

I have the same General Grabber AT2's in a LT235/75R15. I've had them on my Crew Cab for about 7 months. I've had the chance to test them in all conditions now including lots of snow. Great tire to me. I paid $105.00 each.
Another 14" to 20" of snow forcast for tonight and tomorow. Bring it on.
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Sonoma GT wrote:I have the same General Grabber AT2's in a LT235/75R15. I've had them on my Crew Cab for about 7 months. I've had the chance to test them in all conditions now including lots of snow. Great tire to me. I paid $105.00 each.
Still looking for an update on the tire body construction and ply rating. How many and what type sidewall plys? How many and what type tread plys? They look great but in my application I need to know these things for maximum life on the tires and resistance to punctures etc. 8)
Sonoma GT
Crew
Crew

Post by Sonoma GT »

WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

From the Tire rack site: "The tire's internal structure includes twin steel belts (some sizes reinforced with nylon) on top of a two-ply polyester cord body .

I didn't dig into the construction all that much. The place I go knows tires. It's a little mom & pop shop that I've dealt with for years. I can't remember if he said 4 ply or 6 ply side walls. Here's the specd sheet from the General Tire website: http://www.generaltire.com/tires/T5/Grabber-ATsup2-sup And a 60K mile warranty. :shrug: I'll believe it when I see it.....130K miles on the truck and I'm on my 4th or 5th set of tires. :roll:
[size=75]'01 CC w/ a bunch of Mods. More always on the way.
Realization...All women need medication...Just find one on the right medication & make sure she stays on it!!!![/size]
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

WVHogRider wrote:From the Tire rack site: "The tire's internal structure includes twin steel belts (some sizes reinforced with nylon) on top of a two-ply polyester cord body. And a 60K mile warranty. :shrug: I'll believe it when I see it.....130K miles on the truck and I'm on my 4th or 5th set of tires. :roll:

The body construction is in small lettering on the sidewall of the tire. I too looked at the General tire website and it did not show the information I was looking for. The reason I am so picky is I do not want to move down from the BFG ATO construction which is three ply sidewall plus two additional steel under the tread for a total of five under the tread. This has given me excellent puncture and impact resistance in my application. If the LT Generals are indeed 2plus2 then they would be a step down from the BFG's I am running now. I'd run 8 or 10 ply rated tires if I could find them in a tread design I liked.

Don't ever expect tires to make it to the stated warranty unless you do all highway driving and then I'd have to see it to believe it on a 4x4 vehicle. :roll: 8)
sonomadude4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by sonomadude4x4 »

know its a old toppic but ive got the bfg mud terrain km2"s on my crew extreamly quiet on road and hold up good for every day driveing also tires are excilent in the mud never been stuck lol deep snow there also very good. . not to good on ice . . will know in 2 weeks how they are in the sand and will let yall know
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

re getting
sonomadude4x4 wrote:............ive got the bfg mud terrain km2"s on my crew ............... will know in 2 weeks how they are in the sand and will let yall know
Thanks for your updates. I had great hopes for the KM2 but, preliminary reports on heep forums is that they chunk badly on rocks. This won't apply to 99.9% of our CCs and the usual duties that are assigned to our rigs. It should be a nice tire for our purposes.
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

I'm having a hard time finding BFGs in a 33x12.50R15 for my Bronco in either MT or AT. BF is back ordered indefinitely :x . Was going to get some at Discount Tire for $780 mounted but they can't find any. The dude even offered the same deal on GY MTRs, but I want to go with BFG AT.
[size=75]I didn't do it, it was already like that when I got it.[/size]
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Thats a good price for that size Goodyear MTR!
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
MinnesotaMudder
Crew
Crew

Post by MinnesotaMudder »

I would recommend the Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac, great for on and off road. they clean out very well in mud.
sonomadude4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by sonomadude4x4 »

aight had the bfg mud terrain km2's in sand last week did great didnt eaven have to air down and the sand was really soft
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

I have just over 30k on my K/M 2's, so here is what I think so far:

They are still very quiet for a mud tire and they perform pretty good on a wide variety of terrain, especially in the mud. Just like the Goodyear MT/R these tires are scary on icy roads because they lack adequate siping. Wear has been good, however puncture resistance isn't all that great. I've had 4 flats so far and 1 of them required a replacement tire. If they had better puncture resistance I would say they are just as good as the Goodyear MT/R's, but since I have had so many flats I will be trying out the new MT/R's with kevlar belts and added siping. I went through 2 sets of MT/R's without any flats!

Steve
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

FYI..... when buying tires, this is a good source with low prices and low shipping. Also of good note, is that if you have a Discount/America's Tire store nearby , go to the website and fill out the "did you find a lower price" form. They will price match any advertised price. I've learned after several sets of tires that tire salesmen are just like car salesmen. They WILL deal...

www.onlinetires.com

ex.. 31x10.5 15 MT/R $163.39; BFG/MT KM2 $134.57
[size=75]I didn't do it, it was already like that when I got it.[/size]
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

+1 on the General Grabber AT2 - I replaced my BFG AT's with a set a while back and have liked them a lot.

Handling-wise the best I can describe them as feeling a little "squishy" or "squirmy" compared to the BFG's - but it isn't an uncomfortable thin g- just a little different feeling - noticed most on the highway.

They've been wearing great, and I paid $102/ea for em from Tire Rack, and no shipping. Picked them up 90 miles away at one of their distribution hubs when I needed to go over to that town anyway.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
sonomadude4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by sonomadude4x4 »

well just got back from my first run in the snow with the bfg mud terrain km 2's we got 12 inches today here in VA but there great in the deep snow but not so great on the ice but then again what tire is good on ice lol ive had theses tires in mud, soft sand, soft dirt, rocks, snow and every thing i can throw at it all around great tire cant complain about them
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Tire choices are tough. Just gotta figure exactly what you want them for, so many to choose from. If you have a Costco membership, it may be good to stick with BFG's. And if you are going to do serious mud, and that's your main concern and not worried about road noise or wear, get a good mud tire. But if you still want comfort on the road, then a not so serious M/T would be good, or A/T's, but mud traction would suffer. My choise was easy, I wanted serious rock traction with some mud in mind, so I went with BFG KX's.
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
sonomadude4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by sonomadude4x4 »

the bfg km2's are the best of both worlds they are great on the road and pretty quiet for as agressive as they are ...mine have gotn louder since ive got them but still not bad at all ..its nice to here them hmmmm lol but the ride great drive great and perform great but thats just my opinion lol 75% of my driving is on the highways and ivee hade them over a year and still at half tred
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Yea, there's something about a nice tire hum down the road. Sounds more like a truck.
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]