Boise Spring Kit

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

YellowCrewCabber
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Boise Spring Kit

Post by YellowCrewCabber »

Ordered the leaf kit today. Shipping was less than I thought it would be.
$216.71 was the total. Dems sum niice people out thar Brule. Ordering this kit from Boise was still about half of what a local company wanted just to ad one leaf. I am usually the type that doesn't say things and just go with the flow. (With people I don't know) But this guy is a narrow minded idiot.
Brule, I asked Russ how much ADDITIONAL weight could I haul with the new springs and he said 600 to 800 pounds. After thinking about that it didn't sound right. Or did he mean that was the limit?
Jeff
[size=75]04 ZR5 CC

Xbox Live Gamer Tag-Gefke6367[/size]
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Hauling capacity is not advertised to be increased it just handles the load better but yes you could haul more weight easier.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
YellowCrewCabber
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

I was curious to know what the weight capacity of the new springs is. Sometimes with the truck the way it is now I haul 600 to 800 pounds of bagged mulch or top soil. Squats it down quite a bit. It's rated at a 1/4 ton OEM isn't it?? I don't like to put that much in it really but it saves me from making two trips.
[size=75]04 ZR5 CC

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

He is right in that it is not going to increase load capacity. It will handle the load better though.

I haven't made contact with BSW in a very long time. Glad to hear good people are still running things.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
mcluvin
Regular
Regular

Post by mcluvin »

is there a website for these or do i need to call for them
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

http://www.boisespringworks.com/
It will require a phone call.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:http://www.boisespringworks.com/
It will require a phone call.
Some places are like that. I deal with a super site WWW.northridge.com and the owner will either answer or call you back within 10 minutes. Very knowledgeable and will rock your world on beating prices. He also installs and builds rigs right there. I was recently quoted a price on synthetic winch rope and a few other things that I felt compelled to call him back to ask if, he was certain of the price! He was!Image
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
mcluvin
Regular
Regular

Post by mcluvin »

thanks. i guess i will be placin that call soon
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

mcluvin wrote:thanks. i guess i will be placin that call soon
Allot of these places are really struggling with the economy right now. Many well known named shops have gone under recently. Might not be a well known name here but, AlloyUSA who marketed hardened axles and ring and pinion gears went under. "Randy's" stepped up and took over.
David at Northridge.com would never admit it in forums but, he is struggling. I advised him via PM to let us know if, it was getting bad. I'd gladly suck up and buy on a credit cart and pay a little interest if, he was in need. I prefer to pay as I go but, his free shipping and personal touch would lead me to buy on a cc if, it helps him.

We all have gotten to friendly with ordering online. Time to get back with ordering junk via phone and making contacts. Jot down the name of the person you are talking with. If, you have found a better deal then ask them if, they can help.

I think David is so cool that I asked him if, he could get within $30 of a competitors price for some items and I would buy from him. I would gladly pay him $30 more for the same item to help him out.

I ended up paying $100 less than the best price I could find via google shopping.

Lay down the PS3 controller and reconnect with humanity!
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
YellowCrewCabber
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

My spring kit arrived today!! The Bilstiens came last week. Now for tires which is gonna be a tough decision. I have been doing some research but I just don't know. I want to get some rear wheel spacers too. Anyone have a set collecting dust cheap. I'm not a mooch just looking for a great deal. :)
[size=75]04 ZR5 CC

F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

YellowCrewCabber wrote:.......Anyone have a set collecting dust cheap. I'm not a mooch just looking for a great deal. :)
I know that I have a 3" set and I think I have a 2" set but, you need a 1.25" set to match up the axles.
blaz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by blaz »

f9k9 wrote:
YellowCrewCabber wrote:.......Anyone have a set collecting dust cheap. I'm not a mooch just looking for a great deal. :)
I know that I have a 3" set and I think I have a 2" set but, you need a 1.25" set to match up the axles.
If your looking to get rid of them, I'll machine them to the width I need. :D It's alway's worth a try. :lol:
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

blaz wrote:
f9k9 wrote:
If your looking to get rid of them, I'll machine them to the width I need. :D It's always worth a try. :lol:
I learned long ago never to not get rid of this sort of thing. They are in an out building and not in my way. You are looking at new wheel studs as well. PM me if, interested. I know I have the 3" ones for sure but, I do not recall seeing the 2" ones recently. The 3" set was never used. I can look for the 2" set in a few days. Both are not hub centric. They are lug centric but, my 1.25" set managed to go well over 3K to Moab and back. I probably have 30K on them now.
YellowCrewCabber
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

No instructions....

They said there would be instructions. I don't see any. Not that it's a big deal but each of the leafs on one end has been painted red. Does this mean something?? Image
[size=75]04 ZR5 CC

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The instructions are on our webpage. They have a link to there from their page. Usually they just print those and send a copy?

Red ends stay together because the centerhole is not in the center. One side is longer than the other.
Long side back , IIRC.

You will see the steps evenly spaced when installed.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
YellowCrewCabber
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Thanks Brule. If I found the right link, the instuctions do not say which way the leafs go on. The painted ends are the longer end?? Which will point to the rear of the truck. Sorry for being a stickler.
[size=75]04 ZR5 CC

mcluvin
Regular
Regular

Post by mcluvin »

alright im about to install my kit probly saturday i just wanted to verify something. the longer end points to the rear of the truck?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

mcluvin wrote:... the longer end points to the rear of the truck?
Yes

- ThunderII KE7CSK
mcluvin
Regular
Regular

Post by mcluvin »

thank you for the fast reply
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Post a picture if you can. Thx.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
mcluvin
Regular
Regular

Post by mcluvin »

you want an after picture right
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Any install or after pictures will help others.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
mcluvin
Regular
Regular

Post by mcluvin »

alright i'll see what i can do
mcluvin
Regular
Regular

Post by mcluvin »

ok i put the kit on today and it wasn't as hard as i thought it would be... it deffinatly made it easyer to have a friend help hold things and whatnot. i'll try to get some pictures on here this weekend when the weather gets alittle bit better
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Congrats!Image
YellowCrewCabber
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Okay, before I cut this bolt off......

I'm installing the Boise kit this evening. The new center bolt is sticking about two inches past the nut. The diagram shows everything installed without the overload spring. Is this correct? Do I cut the bolt off leaving about a half inch?
Jeff
[size=75]04 ZR5 CC

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The center bolt is long to aid in the installation. It can be off flush to the retaining nut once the springs are tightened. 1/2" longer won't hurt either, although the excess is not really needed.
This keeps the springs all aligned as you clamp the pack together.
The three leaves replace the overload leaf. It would not work correctly after the three step addition and there is no need for it to hang underneath.
Last edited by HenryJ on Wed May 06, 2009 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
YellowCrewCabber
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Thank you very much for the quick reply Brule. Sorry don't mean to be "anul". Just don't wanna mess up.
Jeff
[size=75]04 ZR5 CC

fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Re: Boise Spring Kit

Post by fallvitals »

YellowCrewCabber wrote:Ordered the leaf kit today. Shipping was less than I thought it would be.
$216.71 was the total. Dems sum niice people out thar Brule. Ordering this kit from Boise was still about half of what a local company wanted just to ad one leaf. I am usually the type that doesn't say things and just go with the flow. (With people I don't know) But this guy is a narrow minded idiot.
Brule, I asked Russ how much ADDITIONAL weight could I haul with the new springs and he said 600 to 800 pounds. After thinking about that it didn't sound right. Or did he mean that was the limit?
Jeff
Thats a vetter price then I was just quoted last week. I was told :

"The kit comes with the spring pack, 4 u-bolts, center bolts, and
instructions for $180.00 Estimate on UPS Ground (7days to deliver) approx
$47.00 plus 6% ID tax... Usually, we can get this shipped out in 2 days."

Comes to $240.62

Coming from Idaho, to TN shouldnt vary much in shipping then from Idaho to WV. :?:

edit- when i did some calculating on UPS' site a 65 pound package from them to you was $60 and mine was $70, guess that explains the differance differance... still, a BIG differance in my price vs yours though.... :?:
YellowCrewCabber
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: Boise Spring Kit

Hmm, well the price of the kit is still the same but my shipping was about $30.00. Either they didn't charge me enough or they are over charging you. They have very recently raised the rates. Doubled them??? Good grief.
[size=75]04 ZR5 CC

jedthrocornpone
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by jedthrocornpone »

are these leafs thincker matterial?
do they have additional curve?

just wondering as I'm cheap and I have a compleately extra set of S10 rear leafs I could cut up to replicate the kit
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

jedthrocornpone wrote:are these leafs thincker matterial?
No.
do they have additional curve?
A little.
I have a compleately extra set of S10 rear leafs I could cut up to replicate the kit
Spaced evenly that could work. You will need new center bolts and maybe U-bolts if your threads are damaged.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
YellowCrewCabber
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Update....

My boise spring kit is on. Yes it does pick up the back end. Stiffer ride and handles a little different. NO complaints. In the morning I'm gonna find an empty parking lot, give the T-bars a crank, take it to the alignment shop and then it's off to discount tire. :D
[size=75]04 ZR5 CC

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

That has to be exciting!

- ThunderII KE7CSK
jedthrocornpone
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

not to throw a wrench in your plan

I don't know what tire your after but BFG's sound like they are starting a $70 off a set of four on the 11th
YellowCrewCabber
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Thank you.
[size=75]04 ZR5 CC

fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

well im not sure about shipping, but, assuming you werent over charged, im getting reamed. Maybe they will give me a different shipping price when I call to order in a few weeks.

We are expecting before and after pictures tommorow! And measurements of your new ground clearance :)

OT,, how much does a alignment cost? Never had one... (when i get mine, im gonna tell em i just cranked the TB, maybe itll be cheaper, but I know mine is aligned right now)
YellowCrewCabber
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

I've been quoted from $44.00 to $80.00 dollars for an alignment. A good shop will check your entire steering system for worn parts. I'm going with the $44.00 dollar one but I'm sure they'll find "something" that needs replaced. The lower ball joints have been replaced once before. So maybe I'm safe there.
[size=75]04 ZR5 CC

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Around $50 here. The check is free, if they have to turn a wrench then I get charged. Sounds like your places are right around there too.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
YellowCrewCabber
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

$50.33 out the door. The front is an inch higher now. I may crank it up some more later on. It rides and drives much better now. Definately firmer. Not mushy anymore like a minivan. :wink: I like it. I feel like I'm in a truck. If the new leafs on the back settle down some I'll probably leave the T-bars alone.
[size=75]04 ZR5 CC

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

You should be just right. They will settle in a little but not too much. Mine gets loaded very heavy and I am still pleased with where it sits after all these years.

Now, where is that "worthless with out pictures" smiley? ;)

- ThunderII KE7CSK
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

im still waiting on pictures and measurements :P

Not to beat the Tb thing to death, butttt.

I know if you crank it, say, 4 turns=1" (if im not mistaken) After it settles it will be a hair lower, around 3/4" inch. The mod page says to drive around alittle and it will settle in.

How much driving is a little? If I take 10 minutes driving down some gravel alleys in town, working the suspension, will that get it to settle in fairly fast? I would like it to be settled in before I get the alignment done.
YellowCrewCabber
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

HenryJ wrote: where is that "worthless with out pictures" smiley? ;)
:lol: The pics and measurements are coming I promise. The new BFG's are on. The body lift hasn't been done yet.
[size=75]04 ZR5 CC

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

It will settle as soon as the tires roll enough to relax. I believe the trim height measurement page shows it to be .2" per turn. It also describes the adjustment procedure in more detail.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Ah, I thought it made a .25" adjustment for each turn. :oops:

What BFGs did ya get? I dont think you said?
YellowCrewCabber
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

fallvitals wrote:Ah, I thought it made a .25" adjustment for each turn. :oops:

What BFGs did ya get? I dont think you said?
The AT's. TKO They look better in person that on some web pages I've seen.
[size=75]04 ZR5 CC

jedthrocornpone
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

ok so ther is only so many times you can talk about how sweet it looks before you are legally bound to post pics!!!!!!
YellowCrewCabber
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

jedthrocornpone wrote:ok so ther is only so many times you can talk about how sweet it looks before you are legally bound to post pics!!!!!!
LMAO Now hold on, I don't think I've been bragging about it. I will get pics. Ran out of time and daylight today. Think I'll go wash the nasty thing tonight. It has 4 months of winter road grime built up. Ewww.
[size=75]04 ZR5 CC

jedthrocornpone
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

don't mind me I'm just excited to see it I'm torn between the MT's and the AT's
YellowCrewCabber
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Well I'm not sure if I'm going to like the AT's. They have a "bounce" if you will between 40 and 50 mph. The average posted speed limit around here is 45mph. So this will get very old very fast. There is 35 psi of air in the tires now. Maybe bumping that up to 45psi will help. I chose not to get the MT's because I do 95% of my driving on asphalt. The mud terrains sure look tough though but I don't see my truck having that much demand for them.
[size=75]04 ZR5 CC

fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

YellowCrewCabber wrote:Well I'm not sure if I'm going to like the AT's. They have a "bounce" if you will between 40 and 50 mph. The average posted speed limit around here is 45mph. So this will get very old very fast. There is 35 psi of air in the tires now. Maybe bumping that up to 45psi will help. I chose not to get the MT's because I do 95% of my driving on asphalt. The mud terrains sure look tough though but I don't see my truck having that much demand for them.
Good info. Im thinking BFG ATs is what im gonna have to go with. They are the only all terrains that look like they could handle offroad stuff. Except Cooper Discoverers, but their sizes are SMALL. I had an intrest in MTs also, but same situation nearly all of my driving is asphault, plus I don't wanna lose milage.

You have a PM.
YellowCrewCabber
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Okay The Pics.

Just a few for now. Waiting for a sunny day. I'm sorry I forgot to measure the back before I change the leaf springs. The front @ bottom of fender (top of tire) to the ground measured 30 1/4 inches before now it is 31 1/4 " This measurement did not change after putting the new tires on. At the back of the cab the side rail for the luggage rack is now 68 3/4". 49 1/2 " at the tailgate (closed) 14" on the front step pad on the nerf bar. and 23" to the top of the step pad on the rear bumper. Hope this makes sense. I'm going to check to see if the new tire is the same height as the old tire. Keep in mind the body lift has not been done. I think if the back of the truck was an inch lower then adding the body lift if would look really good. Opinoins please and feel to leave good or bad comments on the link.
http://rides.webshots.com/album/569119000jrLaoH
Jeff
[size=75]04 ZR5 CC

fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Hella differance. Nice! :P 30s Im assuming?

Too bad we cant get that front end up a bit more.

Me next, me next! lol.

Nice job, really nice truck. I dont like yellow, but for some reason they look good on S-10s. I wouldnt mind having one, but I wouldnt want to stand out that much :lol:

When you gonna do the body lift? The body lift seems more like cosmetics then something usful now if your going with 30s, but, itll still look good, and im gonna do it too, lol.
YellowCrewCabber
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Yes, getting the front up would be better. I think at the end of summer maybe sooner I'll put some new parts in the drivetrain and then I'll crank the bars up another 1/2" nor more than that. I was going to do the body lift tomorrow but I'll wait until after the N.C. trip. I'm pondering on just waiting until later in the summer. There is defiantely some getting used to how it rides and feels. I can see over the tops of cars now. LOL. Call me crazy but I know the ZR5 models sit lower than the standard CC's.
[size=75]04 ZR5 CC

fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

lol the ZR5 seting lower, wouldn't be too shocking if thats true.

How much many turns did you put on those t-bars, and what kinda lift did you get from it? Curious since you wanna go a bit higher with it. I want to get 1-1.25" from it,, maybe even 1.5" but im worried about CV issues at 1.5"
YellowCrewCabber
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

I wanted to get 1.25 but the adjusters felt like they were getting close to bottoming out. Changing the keys might help that. I don't know. (maybe Brule will chime in with a comment about that :wink: ) It took more than 4 turns I know that.
[size=75]04 ZR5 CC

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

OMG! We are all the same. Sleevless shirt, camo shorts and black boots. My wife gives me a hard time about that frequently. She won't be seen in public with me :lol:

Not a fan of going beyond what the stock pork chops will do. No way to align it without replacing the upper a-arms with longer ones. Then you are beyond the range of the CV.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

YellowCrewCabber wrote:I wanted to get 1.25 but the adjusters felt like they were getting close to bottoming out. Changing the keys might help that. I don't know. (maybe Brule will chime in with a comment about that :wink: ) It took more than 4 turns I know that.
Well im thinking i might get more turns in then you then. Unless it depends on 'feeling' when they are going to bottom, I have about 12 threads on each bolt exposed so, the way i see/understand it, I can do a lot of cranking if i want to, (more then I plan).

Well I guess im out of the club. Sleevless shirts are to redneck for me (haha), khaki shorts, occasionally camo, and skate shoes (I never skated, boots are for work and hunting :P )

edit - those BFGs are 30s right? keep me updated on any change to gas milage (hoepfully better, cause of taller tire, lol) or change in speedometer.
YellowCrewCabber
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

fallvitals wrote:
YellowCrewCabber wrote:I wanted to get 1.25 but the adjusters felt like they were getting close to bottoming out. Changing the keys might help that. I don't know. (maybe Brule will chime in with a comment about that :wink: ) It took more than 4 turns I know that.
Well im thinking i might get more turns in then you then. Unless it depends on 'feeling' when they are going to bottom, I have about 12 threads on each bolt exposed so, the way i see/understand it, I can do a lot of cranking if i want to, (more then I plan).

Well I guess im out of the club. Sleevless shirts are to redneck for me (haha), khaki shorts, occasionally camo, and skate shoes (I never skated, boots are for work and hunting :P )

edit - those BFGs are 30s right? keep me updated on any change to gas milage (hoepfully better, cause of taller tire, lol) or change in speedometer.
I never knew people though that look was redneck. I don't believe I've ever been called a redneck either. Wow!! Maybe I've been in the south too long. :wink: Just so you all know that I am not a redneck and I'll never go by the name "Bubba". :lol:
[size=75]04 ZR5 CC

fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

wow, its a good thing. I like to consider myself a "hybrid redneck" I have the country in me, but was born/raised in a small city. lmao.
YellowCrewCabber
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

I measured one of the old tires that was on the truck 235x75x15 and compared it to a used Goodyear 30x9.5x15 and the new BFG's 30x9.5x15. There are all right about 28 1/2 inches tall. The new tires are a tad taller but that is probably because they are new. This sucks. I had expected the new tires to ad an inch also.
[size=75]04 ZR5 CC

fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

that sucks..

I have goodyear wrangler silent armor 235/75/15, 28.9" on goodyears site, they are fairly worn.

The tallest I measured them was about 27 3/4 from the tallest point to where it makes contact with the ground. and 28 1/2" from left to right.

BFG AT 30x9.5x15 are suppose to be 30.5" Im figuring a .3" gain at most... too bad 31s hate out fender wells... id get 31s, i just dont want to cut the fender wells... but sounds about right with your little bit of gain you mentioned?

So, since you measured those, are are the other measurements? lol