Body Lift Bolts

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

blks10
Crew
Crew

Body Lift Bolts

Post by blks10 »

The stock body mount bolts, do you need to pull the carpet up to get to them?
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Only if, you need to cut a hole in the floor if, their nut cert broke. Soak those puppies daily for a week with PB Blaster or Sea Foam Deep Creep before messing with them. They're, at least, 5 yrs old now and if, you get any snow at all, there is a good chance you will be fighting rust.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
blks10
Crew
Crew

Post by blks10 »

f9k9 wrote:Only if, you need to cut a hole in the floor if, their nut cert broke. Soak those puppies daily for a week with PB Blaster or Sea Foam Deep Creep before messing with them. They're, at least, 5 yrs old now and if, you get any snow at all, there is a good chance you will be fighting rust.
Oh god. Rust. Story of my life. Thanks for the info!
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

Soak'em down & have a very large breaker bar on hand. :shock: I had one heck of a time with'em putting on my step bars. :!:
[size=75]'01 CC w/ a bunch of Mods. More always on the way.
Realization...All women need medication...Just find one on the right medication & make sure she stays on it!!!![/size]
raven2510
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by raven2510 »

or have a decent impact wrench on hand...they work very well too
1999 Chevy S10 ZR2
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Soak them daily for longer if, need be. Trust me, it works! I successfully did many mods or repairs on a 16 yr old POS heep without breaking a fastener but, it may happen tomorrow on a 7 yr old cc. Eyes wide open is what I like things to be.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
blks10
Crew
Crew

Post by blks10 »

f9k9 wrote:Soak them daily for longer if, need be. Trust me, it works! I successfully did many mods or repairs on a 16 yr old POS heep without breaking a fastener but, it may happen tomorrow on a 7 yr old cc. Eyes wide open is what I like things to be.
So I should just soak what I can see under the truck, right? I can only see the head of the bolt for the cab. :cry: Also, should I use a impact? Or stick with my hands? Thanks, just want to do this the right way :thumb:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

If your truck is rusty you need to do your best to seek out lubricant for the threads. Sure it will also help at the bolt head too. Pulling carpet and body plugs might seem like a pain now, but better than breaking bolts.
An impact helps rattle the rust loose. It can be helpful if you have it available. Even then you may just need a breaker bar and a good strong back to break them loose.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
blks10
Crew
Crew

Post by blks10 »

HenryJ wrote:If your truck is rusty you need to do your best to seek out lubricant for the threads. Sure it will also help at the bolt head too. Pulling carpet and body plugs might seem like a pain now, but better than breaking bolts.
An impact helps rattle the rust loose. It can be helpful if you have it available. Even then you may just need a breaker bar and a good strong back to break them loose.

Thats what i figured with the impact. Did you pull carpet when you did your lift?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Mine was new. I did not even lube them.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

I love Florida.... No rust.
2002 GMC Sonoma crew cab 4x4. Tb mod, Air box mod, pre cat delete,B&M shift improver, Trans cooler, Big three ,AD-244 alt,Red top Optima, e-fan, HD Radaitor,265/70-16' on 16x8 TA wheels,, t-bar tweek, 1.5 inch shackles and 2 inch body lift,Skids fender trim, 1.5 inch wheel spacers in front and 2.5 in back, Quad mod and Frog lights.
Transfercase vacuum switch change DO IT!!!