Fallvitals' lift journal.

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Fallvitals' lift journal.

Post by fallvitals »

First, thanks Brule for all the help you have given me, as well as establishing this website, and putting up with my stupidity at many points. And thanks to many other member's also, like f9k9, bobblesmitty, and others.

2003 S-10 crew cab, stock. First mod is the Boise Spring Works kit, and torsion bar crank.

Stock

Couple cinderblocks for referance.

Stock Measurements: (from ground to highest point of fender)

FD 30 5/8 FP 30 3/8 Skid Plate 9 3/8

RD 32 1/4 RP 31 3/4 Rear Diff 8 7/16

See Brule, I used the jackstands! Safety First!

Me, lol.

Alright, Boise kit wasnt bad, I had a hang up getting the center bolt to line up with the diff. After some help here, and jacking up both sides, it was cake. I wasted a lot of time fighting that. Ran out of time, and did the torsion bar crank today.

Got it lifted up, and tried to screw in the bolts, and they aren't budging at first. Starred at em, and they were just rusted/corroded/dirty. Did around 6 turns, could have went more I'm sure, lowered it, expecting just a hair more then an inch, and had a lot more then that actually (numbers below). The drivers side was about 1/2" higher. Had dad set in the drivers seat, and with the "normal load" there was only 1/8" differance in the front passanger and front drivers side. Seemed pretty good to me, had around 1 1/2" in the front.

Took it for an alignment and got raped. told em what I had done, just wanted the front adjusted, but they will only do all 4, and its $79.99. Well once it was done, it was $93. $5 in tax and a $8 "shop fee" :?: :twisted: :x

But heres the result.

After measurements, with some driving.

FD 32 1/8 (with no load) FP 31 3/4 Skid Plate 10 7/8

RD 34 7/8 RP 34 1/4 Rear Diff 8 7/16

I gained about 1 3/8" in the front, and 2.6" in the rear.

With 30" BFG ATs I should gain 1/4" or slightly better ground clearance.

Next mods:

#2 Bilstein Shocks

#3 2" Body Lift

#4 30" BFG ATs

#5 Westin light bar. (no rush for that).

The ride is a bit rougher, but not bad IMHO. Much better then I expected. Dad thinks its rougher, which it is, I agree, but I figure once everything settles in some, and I get bilsteins installed in about 2 weeks it should make a world of differance. He thinks the front feels rougher now? I think thats in his head though?

:)
Last edited by fallvitals on Sun May 24, 2009 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Looks good!Image

Loose the concrete blocks before they tempt you. :lol: Only time I haven't seen them crumble under wgt was when I got off work one morning and found my camaro sitting on four of them. :wink:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

lol. No temptation to use em! I remember wayyy back in the day, my childhood best friend and I built a "downhill racer" out of some pine boards, and a radio flyer we found in the trash. The brake was a cinder block on a rope, tied to the back of the racer.

I went first, got half way down hill threw out the block and it collapsed on itself, lol! I havent really trusted cinderblocks since then :lol: But if I had to use a "spacer" for a jack it would be a big square piece of wood ;)
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

It probably is rougher in the front as the angle of the arms has changed and there is a shorter leverage now. Flatter arms offer longer levers and a softer ride. Every mod has is a draw back of some kind.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Probably. I think I started to notice a little of the front end-stiffness. But it seemed mute. I bet the extra bounce in my ride will be taken care of with new shocks. I got a good look at the ones on the back when putting on the Boise kit, and they looked like crap, and sure perform like they look. Im gonna order the shocks on payday :)

Let me ask.. my only real worry with doing the TB crank was the boot slipping, and greease flyin'. lol. Would it be a good idea the next time I got the tire off to go ahead and put a hose clamp on both ends of each boot to just prevent that from ever being an issue?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I'd just keep an eye on them. Don't fix what ain't broke ;)

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:.........Don't fix what ain't broke ;)
Image I have to agree here. There is a point where you have to stop extreme preventative maintenance. I think a blown boot could get you home from several hundred miles away. The key is to take a flop on your back and to check things if, you have modded much. Good idea for ones who haven't tinkered with their stuff too.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

lol, as common as the thrown boot seems I didn't think it was that extreme, but gotcha :thumb:

I also noticed today a nig big long sctach on the side of my truck! :twisted: Looks like it might wax out for the most part. I dont even understand how people scratch vehicles in parking lots or whereever like they do. I always make sure I park in a spot with plenty of space, or away from every one. Apperantly that doesnt matter :x :x :x

But my truck is lookin' a lot better :)
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

fallvitals wrote:............But my truck is lookin' a lot better :)
Yes it is!!

I don't mind a few Appalachian pin stripes but, I don't have a clue how, when or where this happened. :?:

fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Ouch! Now that would make me wanna kill.

The best oen I can recall. Besides mom's 2 week old tahoe parked at the end of the lot getting a major dent and scratch while on vacation, was just a few months ago.

My girlfriend has a new Chevy Cobalt. We parked at the end of thr lot at wally world, beside this big blue ford pickup. beat up. tons of space between the vehicles. I had a weird feeling though.. we got back big scratch from "big blue" on the passnager door with blue paint too. I had a bad feeling on that one. Which I had like took a picture of the license plate before, lol. It was like premonition.

A few weeks after geting my crew cab, on the drivers door, I have a scratch, that HAD to have been on purpose it looked just like a pound sign ( # ) I dont see that randomly happening... no reason why any one would do it, it waxed out for the most part. but burned my cakes....
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

fallvitals wrote:Ouch! Now that would make me wanna kill.
Actually, I am more puzzled than anything. It was a good hit and the metal is dented. Something that I would have felt if, I had been driving it. I can't imagine a parking lot scenario that would create a hit so high up. It's a couple of years old and I have to give credit to GM. Not a trace of rust on the bare metal. That photo was taken today.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Sorry that I hijacked your lift thread. Back on track.
:lol:
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

loll, yeah, back on track!

well after this, since you metioned bare metal. When I was still in High School... i backed into a pile of ice on February day, in a gravel parking lot, when it was 70. The pile was black, matched the parking lot, and only about 2 feet high, I didnt even see it in the mirro. Didnt even think about it, since I saw it when I first got there. :roll: Got hung up on it. It dented the passnager door and front of the bed badly, and flaked off the paint. that was 5 years ago, and not one sign of rust the day I traded it in. Thought about fixing it, but $800 was too much! Now on yours, id get some touch up paint atleast. Theres a few places on my current crew cab I wanna try and touch up.

Okay now back on track! lol. Gonna order those Bilstein's on pay day! Can't wait! Ill post an update and my impressions once they are on. (which this forum has been there, done that, but this is my "journal" darn it!)
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Dad had to park on the street, so since he was behind me, I decided to snap this shot of his 08 Silverado Z71 and my CC.

My CC is leaning a bit further downhill then I wanted, but its still fine. Im hoping the Boise springs will settle in a bit more and make the lean less. But i think I am setting just a hair higher off the ground then dad's Z71 Silverado..

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I'd say the rake looks like a pretty close match.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Add 500 lbs to the bed and see how it looks, that rake will give you clearance when you are fully loaded.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

From the movie "Pontiac Moon".

Lesson #1
"Don't Sweat the small sh*t

Lesson #2.........................
Now is you chance to see what your skills are in the search function.

Personally I think it looks good and it will grow on you. Kinda like the little mysterious body damage that I showed you earlier. Today's crisis will be tomorrow's low priority. :wink:
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Lesson #3
Its all small sh*t

#2, what do I need to be searching? I have spent the evening on here searching old topics actually, lol. Searching about the quad beam mod now.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

From the old medicine man.

Very good! :lol:
YellowCrewCabber
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by YellowCrewCabber »

Looking good!! :thumb: Would look better if it were yellow. Eh Reed?? :wink:
[size=75]04 ZR5 CC

Xbox Live Gamer Tag-Gefke6367[/size]
kermit
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kermit »

nice ride! don't listen to them... yellow?
the dark side is much better! muhahaha

my Boise Spring kit settled to be about 1" or so of lift after hauling several loads of wood.
2003 Dark Green S-10 Crew Cab 4x4 with 265/70R17 Nitto Terra Grapplers on 17x8 Black Rock Type D Series 909B Wheels, TB crank, Boise Spring Works rear leaf spring kit, 2" PA body lift, Skidz Custom Cut-Out Fender Flares
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

geeze, only 1"? I hope mine does better then that!

Yes, Yes, dark side is much better. :evil:
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Finally got my Bilsteins on. Dad enlightened me on how to work smarter, not harder with front shocks. Compress em, tie em so they stay compressed, fit them in replace, cut the cord.

The ride isnt night and day like I figured it would be, but it is "softer". Back is still a bit stiff. but a big differance in the front. Overall, it is nicer. But not as great as I was expecting, especially after compressing all of the stock shocks to discover they wont push back out, they stay compressed.

Next, Body Lift!
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

I lied in the other thread, heres a quick picture till I get the step bars raised, frame painted, and washed. Now i need to think of a cheap way to make some Gap guards :?:

Image[/list]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Looking good! Nice job hiding the frame in the photo. :wink: What is that in front of your driver's side rear door handle?
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

I actually had made gap guards from some rubber material bought at Home Depot. I never did get around to installing them! They're still in my basement.
[size=75]2004 S-10 Crew Cab ZR5 -*SOLD*-2" PA Body Lift - Air Shocks - 30x9.5" Cooper Discoverer S/T tires - 1.25" Rear Spacers - Clear Bumper Lights - Westin Safari - Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights - Custom Stainless Steel V-force Dual Exhaust w/ 3" Black Chrome Slash Cut Tips - CB radio w/ 100watt PA speaker - Alpine MP3/CD Player - 10" JL Sub w/ 300watt amp - Low Profile - 'TonneauMasters' Tonneau Cover - In-channel Vent Visors - Airbox mod - Custom Front Tow Hooks - Debadged [/size]
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Its a reflection of something... i think the white swing on my grandmother's porch, lol. I had just got done cutting her grass, was getting the lawn mower and thought this was a creative angle, lol. Didn't mean to hide the frame, but opps! lol.

BobbleSmitty, Do you recall what kind of product it was you got at homedepot? I can't think of anything off hand that would work?

I think some scrap pieces of conveyor belt would work pretty nicely. But I doubt I could get any scrap from work :roll:
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Vinyl Wall Base Cove Moulding

Drill a few holes and attach with......

fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

I dont know.... it isnt as impressive as the $60 Gap Guards. :lol: Ill try to swing by there before work. Well, Lowes, I dont much care for The Home Depot.
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

Look for it in at least 6" wide. If not at a home improvement store try a good floor covering business.
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Horsehammerr wrote:Look for it in at least 6" wide. If not at a home improvement store try a good floor covering business.
I found it in 4" wide and bought two peices for $1.88 each. They had the same thing but thicker for about a buck more, but decided that didn't matter. But 4" should work ... Wish I had known to look for it in the 6" size, lol. I might have to stop at Home Depot this weekend before the install. I can always return my $3.50 worth of molding. :lol:
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

fallvitals wrote:
Image[/list]
I keep looking at my truck, and pictures of other trucks, such as Brule's with the Marvelous Mystery Lift... and I know my truck has a lot of rake to it, I did 1 7/16" TB crank.... Im not sure if i didn't crank enough, or my Boise Kit hasnt fully settled in (havent hauled any thing heavy), but obviously the rear has alot more room in the fender then the front.. im wondering if the front fender is plenty high enough for 33x9.5s and still articulate some?

I have looked at a lot of other crew cabs and none seem to have the rake I have? Brule's looks pretty level to me?

Basically im being a worry wart and and need some opinions on my rake/front fender height/33s fitting nicely on the front?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Mine is not as good to compare as it has settled some over the years. Keep in mind that I have a spare tire rack carrying a 33" tire, toolbox, and 21 gallon auxiliary fuel tank in the back.

Yours will settle in about an inch, but it takes time.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Alright, so it all looks good, plenty of room up front fir 33s? It just hasnt settled, giving me a good bit of rack.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

fallvitals wrote:Alright, so it all looks good, plenty of room up front fir 33s?...............
After one chit load of cutting and spacers, yes.
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

f9k9 wrote:
fallvitals wrote:Alright, so it all looks good, plenty of room up front fir 33s?...............
After one chit load of cutting and spacers, yes.
Alrighty, i think I pretty much have the skidz cut cirections memorized. Only confused about one part, about screwing in a sheet metal screw? And im assuming that bottom bolt in the fender well, you dont put back?

But I think im gettin' ready! lol. Gonna be a fun 4th.
DeiselRed
Crew
Crew

Post by DeiselRed »

Did ya do the cuts yet?
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

YUp, yup. Cuts are done. Im SLOWLY working on modifying my stock flares to work. Hard to do with so much going on. I took my step bars off a few weks ago, and havent even got those raised yet :oops:
DeiselRed
Crew
Crew

Post by DeiselRed »

I wanted to do the cuts and throw 33's on but I think im just gunna save my pennies for the superlift next year... :D :D :D
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

DeiselRed wrote:I wanted to do the cuts and throw 33's on but I think im just gunna save my pennies for the superlift next year... :D :D :D
Better read all you can on the subject and you may change your plans.
MinnesotaMudder
Crew
Crew

Post by MinnesotaMudder »

I payed $3,500 for my 6'' lift and i still cant put 33's on it with out some major cutting so i think i will put a 2'' body lift.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

OUCH!
DeiselRed
Crew
Crew

Post by DeiselRed »

Lol your right....Im just going to do the minor mods to my truck and lay off the 6 inch....Ill go full size for my next truck and jack it up in the later years of my life. College and working part time does not cut it haha.

Sorry for raiding your thread fallvitals :evil: :oops:

And ouch that is alot to install that...
jedthrocornpone
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by jedthrocornpone »

would love to see how the trimmed flares are looking, I'm on the verge of welding up the holes but if the flares can be re-worked and re-fitted I might do that. Time is running out for me I think we shoot base and clear this weekend.
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

jedthrocornpone wrote:would love to see how the trimmed flares are looking, I'm on the verge of welding up the holes but if the flares can be re-worked and re-fitted I might do that. Time is running out for me I think we shoot base and clear this weekend.
Well, I was waiting till it was all done and had a tutorial put together, but if your rushed, heres a picture of the flares cut, and rivted together. Obviously just held on at the moment with clamps.

I then started filling in/rounding the cuts on the flares with plastic epoxy. I have one ready for paint, and the other 3 should be finished up and ready for paint shortly. Its a pain, but its loking good. I figure once I get paint on, it should look stock.

here it is without the epoxy, just the "rough" version.

*****edit, i forgot my picture was ovsized, heres the link:

http://photos.imageevent.com/rc_racer_0 ... flare2.jpg

FYI, it looks a lot better with the epoxy on it and it finished. Once paint is on, itll look just fine.

Oh, fyi, all the screw holes on the front flare line up with the mod too, as do the rear (2) screw holes.

Hope that helps ya.
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

I see the body lift in place and the SKIDZ cut to the wheel well and flare. This close-up photo really shows it clean. I sure wish I had the camera to show mine, well maybe some day. What size tire is the one in the picture? Looks major small with the mod. :lol: :roll: 8)
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
jedthrocornpone
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

thank you for the quick pic I see where some folks have had there ZR5 flares up for sale for a long time I might just cut'em up and put em back on thanks.
DeiselRed
Crew
Crew

Post by DeiselRed »

I like the way you did that fallvitals....looks very good......its still bugging me how exactly you made the stock flares work though.. :?: :?: :?:
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

just did the skidz cuts to em, thats it, you know you wanna set there and play with it some to see how to get the best results.

I really think once I get em painted, they will look stock. I just wonder how this plastic epoxy is gonna hold up. Looks to me like it should work perfectly. But,, never know.... but all those cuts,, are rounded off right now, and look good.

I might have to go get another tube of the epoxy (I have used 5 so far at $5 a tube, .85oz) , I have a few dips and pits i still need to fill in before its ready for paint.
kermit
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kermit »

Looking good!

on the BSW kit... mine had a bit of a rake when i first installed it, but i have since hauled several loads of wood, random gear, and furniture over the past year. My truck sits almost level now.

The picture with the cuts to the flare reminds me of when i first put my skidz on. I had bald 30x9.5s on stock wheels.... so they were tucked under the new fender by a good 3+ inches in the rear!

Keep the updates coming! always nice to see another Mystery Lift!
2003 Dark Green S-10 Crew Cab 4x4 with 265/70R17 Nitto Terra Grapplers on 17x8 Black Rock Type D Series 909B Wheels, TB crank, Boise Spring Works rear leaf spring kit, 2" PA body lift, Skidz Custom Cut-Out Fender Flares
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Hopefully next week ill have the final update before 33s. Then no more cash is being poured into this sucker till I save a few bucks here and there for a flow master... then farther down the road when i come into a good ammount of money, a prerunner bar, and PIAA dual beam lights.

But, I need to get a new blade for the recipricating saw and cut off the last unused bolt for my step up bars.

Drill out 3 more brackes for my step up bars.

Get a mounting bracket and stud re-welded into the correct spot for my rear flares, then they are all 4 ready for paint.

Clean the frame and undercoat it.

install step bars.

install wheel spacers.

Take pcitures, post here, then go get 33s :P Then start saving money! lmao.
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

I did the SKIDZ cut to my rear wheel wells and ZR5 flares this past Friday. I broke a couple mounting bolts on my flares also. Got to looking at the rest, all rusted up and rattling loose, and decided to simplify. I cut all the rivets and removed all the brackets. After cutting and riveting the laps in place I simply screwed the flare lip to the fender lip and bang all finished. I may someday when I'm to bored, get some JB weld and fill the laps and repaint, but for now all that matters is FUNCTION and , they do. :D 8)
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

I did the SKIDZ cut to my rear wheel wells and ZR5 flares this past Friday. I broke a couple mounting bolts on my flares also. Got to looking at the rest, all rusted up and rattling loose, and decided to simplify. I cut all the rivets and removed all the brackets. After cutting and riveting the laps in place I simply screwed the flare lip to the fender lip and bang all finished. I may someday when I'm to bored, get some JB weld and fill the laps and repaint, but for now all that matters is FUNCTION and , they do.
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

You finally finished the back ones? :lol:

I guess thats one way to simplify it! lol. I got my front flares painted right now, well still clear coating em. The finish is really rough.... :? Hoping a bunch of clear coat with smooth it out, but probably not... not sure what to do there... the plastic was smooth... I think thats the mettalic paint im using? im not sure, but im not happy with it... but I guess I can live..... :?

BUt for my back flare,s those brackets, had a buddy spot weld new bolts in place. Thought I would have to drill out a bunch of new holes, but they all fit except for to after playing arund and thinking. I gave those abck back to my buddy, and he is welding a new bolt in, so they all mount back up the same, then they are ready for paint.
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

Yes I finally got around to the rears. I think I will switch over to 31/10.5s sooner or later and I needed the extra room. These 30/9.5s work real fine in every stage I've been able to attempt so far, no snow or ice yet . But I can't seem to get passed how scrawny they look compared to the 275/60 Cooper Cobras I took off. They just look under sized. I've always been a WIDE tire freak with all my rides, even on the front of my bikes. We'll see. Sure will be glad to see your finished product!! 8)
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Even 10.50s are referred to as "pizza cutters". :lol:
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

Maybe so, but I just have no use for the SCARED CAT stance at this time with this truck as my full time trans. The lower and still functional I keep it, the safer handle I have on these roads I run. :wink: 8)
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

lol, pizza cutters, whatever works ;)

Ah man, I cant wait to get all this done, then I can work on the awesome new vibration I seem to have devolped at 70+ mph :?: Im hoping its my tires, and the new BFGs will fix it.. but not holding my breath.

But i did a wet sand on one of my flares last night, with 800 grit. Finest I had. Made it nice and smooth, but showed marks in a few places. Im gonna go get some 1600 or so gritt today and do the other one. Then when my buddy get my last two rear flare mounting brackets back, I can paint those.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Horsehammerr wrote:Maybe so, but I just have no use for the SCARED CAT stance at this time..............
So, you are saying that the extra costs for the tire, the MPG loss, the additional wear on front end components and the extra weight making tire changing a hernia creator is worth the "cool" factor?

I'd say "Go For It"! :wink:

All the driver of that CC is seeing is Terra firma a couple of miles in front of him. It would be just as unnerving on 12.50s and the 9.50s do it just as well

Both 33s and I do not see much of a difference between 10.50s and 12.50s.

Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

I guess I'm missing something here. " Cool factor" ??
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Horsehammerr wrote:...........I just have no use for the SCARED CAT stance at this time...........
Wouldn't be my first time to misinterpret something. :wink:
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

OK !! I just meant I don't need to be lifted for taller tires, the clearance I have now is good, as long as I stay at a reasonable speed I can move through about any problem in the path. If not I take another route. 8)
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

I said when I finally got the step bars on I would post a picture. Well, right now only the passanger side is on, and the flares arent yet, but I should get the drivers step bar on today, and front and rear flares on tommorow at the latest, then new tires monday. Then should probably stop and pick up some bump stops at the dealer.

Last edited by fallvitals on Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
DeiselRed
Crew
Crew

Post by DeiselRed »

Looks good!
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Is that truck a four wheel drive? ;)

- ThunderII KE7CSK
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

HenryJ wrote:Is that truck a four wheel drive? ;)
Barely :lol:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

You will soon be to the point that question will not be asked :mg:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

HenryJ wrote:You will soon be to the point that question will not be asked :mg:
lol, I think im there already, heck its taller then more trucks in the aprking lot at work. Especially those newer f150s. And man those things I personally think, have worst stock ground clearance then we did, or about the same!
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Whew, it is about time you posted a pic update. :lol: I was beginning to think it wouldn't happen. Looks great, BTW! Give us a shout if, you run into problems with that driver side front bracket.
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Should have any problem with the bracket, took a jigsaw (skillsaw) with a fine blade to it, it was cake. Thugh it would be awful. If i have nay problems, ill bring the skill saw right back out and fix it! lol.

But i cant get that stupid adjuster loose :roll: Put a vice grip on the end of that thread, and started to turn it and no budge.

I honestly ment to hit it with PB Blaster for a week before hand, aka, Reed's pearl of wisdom, but forgot! Doh! So i sprayed it with some PB, and cmae inside to look for a metric wrench, since a 1/2" started to slip.
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

Looking good, what size tires you got on there right now?
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Thank ya, Got both step bars on now. After that nut broke free, it was cake. A lot of turning though, lol. I think I shoulda drilled the holes 1/2" lower all round, and lifted the bars a total of 2 1/2".... theres plenty of room for it.

But im running, what I think was the optional offorad tire size, 235/75/15.
jedthrocornpone
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Looks great man I was hoping for a diffrent color when I started shopping for my CC white, blue, black, and then pewter were what I wanted in order.

its goiong to look sick with 33's (I would say that I know 1st hand but that would mean I would have to post pics of mine.. :wink: ...) you going for BFG MT's AT's or toyo's?

(the KM2's look sick) congrats on all your work
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

My first truck that I had 11th grade (2002) till April? When i got this truck was a 1997 2wd reg cab 4.3 auto s-10 with 62k miles. It was red... I don't like red vehicles, but it was an excellent deal. Booked for $8,200, and we walked out the door, with taxes, title, etc etc, for $8,200. Wasnt the color I want, which was black/dark blue, but couldnt pass it up, so understand what your saying about the color! lol. I was actually looking for just a extended cab s-10 for me next vehicle, maybe even a ZR2, but saw this one, an 03 with 55K miles, and they gave me a decent deal,, probably could have done a little better if i held out some but not a bad deal at all i think.

Anyways, I am rambeling. My uncle has a set of BFG AT 33/9.5/15s waiting for me at his shop. I would love to put the KM2s on my truck, but it just wouldnt be practical. They would look awesome, but again.. not practical at all, and I read "scary" in rain, and ice.

Plus the only other reason im going to the 33 is the same reason Brule did, the rolling resistance and weight differance of a 9.5" vs 10.5" 33 tire.

But after Brule enlightened me today to the age of new tires. im gonna have to check these new BFG ATs monday before I have them put on. Im not putting 5 year old tires on my truck! :shock:

Am I the first known Black Crew Cab with the MML?
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

That would mean Motor Mount Lift in some circles. Haven't heard of it with S-10s.