Opinions on this wheel.

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

MoJoe
Crew
Crew

Opinions on this wheel.

Post by MoJoe »

Anyone have first hand exp with Black Rock Wheels here?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BRW-9 ... mage=large
Joey
4WD Crew Cab, just not an S-10 anymore ;)
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Joey, I "think" that they are somewhat new. I like the looks of them but, have no 1st hand knowledge of them. I have seen them mentioned in a heep forum or two but, never dove to deep into the threads to even report what they thought about them. They do not mention being Teflon coated which may be a plus. Teflon has been reported to come off rather easily in rocks. HTH
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Not much rear spacing.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Dabber
Regular
Regular

Post by Dabber »

I like them, but what is Tungsten colour?
MoJoe
Crew
Crew

Post by MoJoe »

The tungsten is just a silverish accent/color on the wheel. Not the actual metal.

From a lot of reviews I have been reading, they seem to be great bang for the buck. I am going to try them out.
Joey
Dabber
Regular
Regular

Post by Dabber »

Don't forget the pics when you install them
kxracer
Crew
Crew

Post by kxracer »

Can't wait to see how they look. Won't you have rubbing issues though, or is yours lifted/trimmed?
MoJoe
Crew
Crew

Post by MoJoe »

I am sure there will be rubbing at first, I have a few ideas/fixes for after they get installed to address that. I am trying to lift a little as possible for the time being.
Joey
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

MoJoe wrote:I am sure there will be rubbing at first, I have a few ideas/fixes for after they get installed to address that. I am trying to lift a little as possible for the time being.
It will be interesting to see what you come up with. Those would be like trying to run 2" spacers on the front end.
Try to stay with a narrow tire if you can. That is a pretty big jump in scrub radius.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:...........Try to stay with a narrow tire if you can. That is a pretty big jump in scrub radius.
X2 on Brule's suggestion. Barch had rubbage with the stock tires.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
MoJoe
Crew
Crew

Post by MoJoe »

HenryJ wrote:
MoJoe wrote:I am sure there will be rubbing at first, I have a few ideas/fixes for after they get installed to address that. I am trying to lift a little as possible for the time being.
It will be interesting to see what you come up with. Those would be like trying to run 2" spacers on the front end.
Try to stay with a narrow tire if you can. That is a pretty big jump in scrub radius.
Thanks for the advice, hope I can transfer what is in my head onto the truck. I will keep track of everything I do.
Joey
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

I dont know how it will work out for ya, hope it does. But those are some sharp rims.

Do they have a spinner option? :lol:
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

f9k9 wrote:
HenryJ wrote:...........Try to stay with a narrow tire if you can. That is a pretty big jump in scrub radius.
X2 on Brule's suggestion. Barch had rubbage with the stock tires.
Yup... mine are stock dimensions 15x7 but same 4" backspace as these. I suspect on stock suspension, rub will be pretty minimal as long as you keep the wheels pointed straight ahead.

Good luck :wink:
[size=67][i]"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."[/i][/size]
MoJoe
Crew
Crew

Post by MoJoe »

Ok, ordering one wheel and will mount a tire to do a test fit and figure out my trim areas. This should identify any other mods I will need to do prior to switching the wheels.
Joey
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

I run 8x15 with 3 3/4" back space. I did rub the bottom rear edge on front wheel wells at first. I did the SKIDZ cuts to my wheel wells and matched the same cut to my stock ZR5 flares. Looks factory and clears great. The only other rub I have is the top of the front wells contacts in a bottom out situation. I'm going to Full Size bump stops and hope to cure this slight problem. I was on 275/60s but have now gone to 30x9.5s, we'll see. 8)
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

Got the Monroe Steering Stabilizer Kit from LMC today and installed real easy. Seems smoother on rocky dirt roads and more positive on highway. we'll see how it is in the wind. Also put the solid GM-15023225 bump stops on the front with a full 1/4" space until contact with A-arm. They came from the factory new, in yellow Polyurethane. I tried the hollow GM-15712438 first but the steel top cap is to big diameter to fit flat in the mount surface. the solid ones have a steel washer inside the top with the no spin pin sticking through . I did have to shave about 1/4" off the side where it contacts the mount to get a true flat mount.I am going top put the hollow ones on the rear when my ZQ8 Sway Bar gets here tomorrow. Such fun !! :D 8)
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
MoJoe
Crew
Crew

Post by MoJoe »

Ok, so I change my wheel option. My eyes are on the KMC XD122. It is a 15x7 with 4" BS.
http://www.eastcoasttires.com/store/pc/ ... duct=14096

I think this will work with a TB crank and light trimming and 30x9.50s.

Opinions on fit?
Joey