Spare tire question

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Spare tire question

Post by fallvitals »

When i get my bfg at 33x9.5s, im gonna get 5. I am wanting to get a zr5 rim (still shopping around) to use as a spare. And rotate the spare with my other tires. Getting the most out of my money, and tire wear.

I got to thinking... im not sure if it will fit under the bed,, lets say it will for arguement sake.

Is there a cover or something I can get to put on the spar tire while under the bed? Like how jeeps have a plastic/leather cover on their tires?

I dont want the tire to get rub marks from riding against the bed, or the conrete while removing, or putting the tire back. See what im saying?

is there a cover i can get? Or any other ideas? Or should I just leave the spare alone and only run on the four tires and not bother with putting the spare into the rotation?
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Personally, I would want a spare that is the same size as what's one the ground in case of a flat or blowout. You are not going to readily get a replacement tire if, one's ruined. Running a 28" tire with three 33s wouldn't be cool at all for any length of time. If, you feel the need for a cover like the Jeeps have (btw, real heepers don't use them) buy one for $30.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Spare tire question

Post by HenryJ »

fallvitals wrote:... im not sure if it will fit under the bed,, lets say it will for arguement sake.
My vote is it won't fit. Grab a tape and measure the clearance from you spare and calculate the size difference. A 31" spare is as big as you can get under there, IMO.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

f9k9 wrote:Personally, I would want a spare that is the same size as what's one the ground in case of a flat or blowout.
I said in my first post I was getting 5 33s :wink: I even brought up rotating the spare with the other tires.

Still for arguements sake its gonna fit under the bed. My concern is the tire getting rub marks on its sides when inplace under the bed, and manuevering it to be placed back into its securing winch mount, or taken off of it it. See what im saying? I dont want all of my tires after a few rotations aving ugly rub/scratch marks on their sidewalls because of it. Would a tire cover like the heepers have be a good idea to prevent that?
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

I think you will probably tear your rear bumper off before you even get close to rubbing your sidewall on your spare. I mean get down on your knees and look at the differance between the two.
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

I have... just humor me, say I want to do the same thing with 235 75 15s. How are you not going to mark up the wide walls of the tire riding under the bed, and being taken on and off the winch under it? The Tire Cover?!
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

I would suspect that a cover would trap water and cause more problems when stored under the vehicle. Hypothetically speaking,since your 33's won't fit under the bed, I would think a couple of shields cut from old barrel plastic and formed to the tire with a heat gun might work
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Get your 5 BFG 33's, put 1 in the bed and lock it up, and just rotate the other 4. :D

If you really think that 33 is going to fit under there, go for it, and when you need to drop it down for whatever reason just put a towel or blanket on the ground so you don't get any scratches. :P

Steve
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Actually, I am going to go against the grain here. A 33 will work with several mods performed.

1. Exhaust rerouted
2. Brake lines rerouted
3. Don't wheel it.

Why are you worried about side wall scuffing. Doesn't the spare fit in the stock carrier with the outside of the wheel/tire combo facing up?

f9k9 wrote:I think that Brule's concern with the exhaust was eliminated because I installed my daystar shackles before the 3" cat back was installed and that allowed some variation in it's routing. I could have carried the 33 in the stock location but, it would be tight with a trailer hitch. The brake line crossing between the tire and rear differential cover would also need to be relocated.

My aftermarket diff cover would take up more room than what is in the above photo. I wouldn't want to venture off road with it in the stock location. The frame will flex more than you would like to believe.

The bed mounted carrier is really no problem. I first mounted it with stainless steel bolts and wing nuts. I would put a wrench on each bolt and set my tool box to hold it when I crawled underneath to remove the wing nut.

I went one step further and switched to hitch pins.

[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Yeah the back of the sidewall will be facing up, but the front would be rubbed against the ground. But a towel should cure that as killian suggested.

The thing with me and puting a spare in the bed, weather I lock it up, or have a nice spare tire set up like Reed's, is I haul a lawn mower around several times a week.

As for the mod suggestions:

#1, my STOCK exhaust is already routed like Reed's (picture above). I found that odd after reading here.

#2, Im not sure how to reroute brake lines, but im sure I could figure it out. Shouldnt be too hard?

#3, most definantly. When i go to wheel, I will throw it in the bed.

Thanks for the info, it did help me out.
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Swing away spare tire carrier?
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

No no no! lol. It took months for me to decide to do the Skidz cuts, I couldn't bring myself to do a swing away carrier like Brule did. lol.

If I ever get a perminant full time position at work, I should be giving my lawn mower a break. Well,,, still have my parents yard, and grandmothers to cut... but... hm... I was gonna say, I do like Reed's spare carrier a lot.... But IF I can fit a 33" spare under the bed, I will do that till offroad time. I was also thinking maybeee one of those hitch spre carriers. But were getting into another topic. My question(s) was answered. :)

Ohh, Reed, was brand/name is the carrier you have?
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Fabtech but, I got mine used from a member that sold his CC.