gas mileage before/after lift

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

kxracer
Crew
Crew

gas mileage before/after lift

Post by kxracer »

I was wondering what kind of gas mileage you were/are getting before/after your lift. I am seriously considering a 2 inch body/1 inch crank/shackle (and eventually tires), and am wondering how this will affect my gas mileage. I average 18-19 right now with a 50/50 city/highway mix (worst I've got was 17.5). I don't want to drop to low as this is my daily driver. Thanks, and please post your before and after.
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

So far for me, I have done every thing. But havent had my 33s on long enough to average gas milage.

wit hthe TB, Boise kit, body lift. It stayed the same 14.5-15.5, and thats pretty much all city driving. The TWO interstate trips I took, one pulling a jetski with a medium weight load in the bed, I got 19.9mpg both times.

Brule has said he has maintained the stock MPG ratings with all of his mods.

Im thinking I might even get just a hair better gas milage with my new 33s. Before 70mph would be 2200rpm. Now 70mph is 2000rpm. I sure theres a trade off there some where, im not a gear head enough to know where, but by that info, I think I might get jsut a better MPG rating, though very small.
kxracer
Crew
Crew

Post by kxracer »

fallvitals wrote:So far for me, I have done every thing. But havent had my 33s on long enough to average gas milage.

wit hthe TB, Boise kit, body lift. It stayed the same 14.5-15.5, and thats pretty much all city driving. The TWO interstate trips I took, one pulling a jetski with a medium weight load in the bed, I got 19.9mpg both times.

Brule has said he has maintained the stock MPG ratings with all of his mods.

Im thinking I might even get just a hair better gas milage with my new 33s. Before 70mph would be 2200rpm. Now 70mph is 2000rpm. I sure theres a trade off there some where, im not a gear head enough to know where, but by that info, I think I might get jsut a better MPG rating, though very small.
Thanks, good to know. I wasn't planning on lifting this truck, but I couldn't pass up the deal that I came upon. I just bought a new PA192 body lift for $125.00. I told myself I wasn't going to do it since I get to keep my other truck, but how could I pass that up. :D
MinnesotaMudder
Crew
Crew

Post by MinnesotaMudder »

I got a 6'' lift with 31x10.5 tires and I get 19 MPG highway and 15 MPG in town
Rich K.
Crew
Crew

Re: gas mileage before/after lift

Post by Rich K. »

I have most of my lift completed and literally got my CC out of the alignment shop to load up for a trip to OK city. My mileage before the lift averaged 19 mpg. For the trip I didn't notice a drop so my highway mileage is still a good 19mpg. However, now that I am home and using my CC for my normal commute my mpg is 14-15 :cry: and my wife likes to remind me of this when I talk about my future plans for my CC. She will get over it, eventually. :thumb:
[size=75]Drive it in, tow it out! Thats our motto...[/size]
rlrnr53
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by rlrnr53 »

I'm getting anywhere from 9-10 mpg in cold weather, to 14-15 mpg in warmer weather. the best I have done on a trip was almost 21 mpg on a trip. My truck is bone stock, so you're not doing too bad.
[size=75]Mitch
2001 Polo Green Metallic, no mods,(can't afford any)[/size]
Rich K.
Crew
Crew

Post by Rich K. »

rlrnr53 wrote:I'm getting anywhere from 9-10 mpg in cold weather, to 14-15 mpg in warmer weather. the best I have done on a trip was almost 21 mpg on a trip. My truck is bone stock, so you're not doing too bad.
That seems really low. Do you have extenuating circumstances that may lower your mpg? I have to climb from 6000ft above sea level to 8700 every day and temps here have been from the single digits to the mid 40s. When it warms up I only notice about a mile difference. I don't even think I have been down to 10mpg when I am pulling my ATV or hauling firewood? Just curious. :?
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

The biggest problem our little 4.3 Vortec powered Crewcabs have with gas mileage . Lies right between our brain and the gas pedal. :lol: 8) There are lots of neat little mods you can do to slightly increase your gas mileage but most simply help throttle response. The main " trick " to MPG is to ease into your take off and when ever it's reasonable use Overdrive- Forth gear and Cruise Control. Our computer is much more constant than our foot can ever be. :shock: 8)
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
rlrnr53
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by rlrnr53 »

If you thought that was bad, my last tank of gas averaged 6.85 mpg. But that was over a period of about 6 weeks running in 4wd almost every day, one or two days in 4lo, and letting it warm up every morning and evening. From Dec 18th until about a week and a half ago, we goin excess of 65" of snow, with temperatures below 32 for most of the time. I ended up working at least 12 hrs a day if not more with only 3 days off between 12/18 and 1/13. To answer your question, I usually let thr truck warm up for 10 to 15 minutes almost every morning and some evenings when it is cold. My 96 extended cab 2wd would get 25 on the highway, and about 12-14 on average when i let it warm up.
[size=75]Mitch
2001 Polo Green Metallic, no mods,(can't afford any)[/size]
Rich K.
Crew
Crew

Post by Rich K. »

Ah, the infamous warm up period. I know it well! I would do it more often if I just bothered to try to get out the door on time. Half the time I am already 5 minutes down the road before I feel the warmth of the engine.

Ever since I did the air box mod, I have been more on the accelerator because of the increased pep. That was definitely a mod that took plastic off my air intake and replaced it with lead in my foot! :speedy: