Pitman arm removal

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Pitman arm removal

Post by Horsehammerr »

I finally got the new Moog Problem Solver Pitman and Idler arms. The Idler popped right off. I'm thinking CUTTING TORCH for the Pitman. I'm at a loss for getting it loose from the center link. HELP !! :x
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
Jim

Re: Pitman arm removal

Post by Jim »

Horsehammerr wrote:I finally got the new Moog Problem Solver Pitman and Idler arms. The Idler popped right off. I'm thinking CUTTING TORCH for the Pitman. I'm at a loss for getting it loose from the center link. HELP !! :x
Use one of these ground down as shown to remove both the Idler and pitman from the center link.
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

A ball joint fork also works.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I have heard that with a puller applied, apply pressure, tap on the sides of the pitman , apply more pressure with the puller, tap some more and continue until released. I know tapping on the sides of TREs works and never had to use a fork.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Back it up with another BFH and a good swat to the side of the relay rod will release it. There really isn't good room for that method in this case though.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

Do you suppose I can turn the gearbox enough to access loosening and removing the pitman without removing the box ? I'm thinking clockwise.
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Plan on pulling the box. Releasing the pitman from the box can be a real bear.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

Hey HJ, You are totally right about pulling the gearbox, there ain't no way to get that pitman off other wise. Piece of cake with it out in front of you. Got the pit. and idler new ,and real nice and tight and smooth. Next adventure will be 4 ball joints and 4 tie ends. 8)