Worried about doing a body lift install

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

14x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 14x4 »

f9k9 wrote:
14x4 wrote:so I hope the spacers work with those just as they would with the stock ZR5 alloy wheels. :shock:
They won't, I am afraid. You can keep the 1.25" spacers for the rear with Cragars. When you find a home for the 2.5" ones, let me know. I can send my new unused 3" ones to the same guy to keep them company.

Well, I've decided to keep my stock ZR5 alloys and powder coat them black. That way I won't have to take a step backwards with the Marvelous Mystery Lift.

Speaking of the lift, I called two shops and they both want over $1200 for labor. I already spent around $1000 on the parts - and thats without the Skidz Flare and tires. :shock:

Think its a long-shot for a mechanical newbie like me and a friend or two to install the body lift? I think the shocks and spring kit are doable, but that body lift scares me...
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

If you can do the spring kit, your good.

Do this,,, download the Performance accesories install manual. And set down and read it over a few times.

Theres nothing to it, really. Im pretty handy with a wrench, but no mechanic. I was worried too, but it was no where near as bad as I thought.

Basically this is how it goes.

#1 you take a bit of things off/loose and you wanna keep track of em. The only hard part is that darn oil line next to the pan, its jsut hard to reach.

#2 You start lifting. From my experiance, as well as everything i read here, theres no problem with wires/whatever getting pulled. Still means you need to check it while lifting. I only had a cheap 2 1/2 ton floor jack, that only goes liek 12 or 14" high. It was NO WHERE near high enough to lift the body. I ended up nailing EIGHT! 2x4s together to lift the body high enough to install the lift blocks.

The bed is cake, if you get two guys to lift the bed up, you can slip the spacers in, then line it up.

#3 putting it all back togeher, is pretty simple too. But heres where it gets a little time consuming. Time consuming meaning you are gonna have to drill the front bumper lift bracket, as well as lift your hitch up by drilling 6 new holes, then your step bars. You are gonna need a drill press. If you dont have one, id suggest having a local machine shop do the drilling for you. It will take a month trying to drill the step bars and hitch with a hand drill. Even with the press, it took me a couple weeks of drilling to get my step bars raised. ustr time consuming lining everything up, measuring, etc.

Don't be afraid to do it. It is cake. Plenty of old threads here to read. Lots of em have info on things you dont have to do that the instrucitons say to do, like relocating the front diff actuator. You dont have to.

Just do it on the weekend, and start early. Make sure you have a ride for monday/possible tuesday if Murphy shows up and it takes longer then expected.
14x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 14x4 »

fallvitals wrote:If you can do the spring kit, your good.

Do this,,, download the Performance accesories install manual. And set down and read it over a few times.

Theres nothing to it, really. Im pretty handy with a wrench, but no mechanic. I was worried too, but it was no where near as bad as I thought.

Basically this is how it goes.

#1 you take a bit of things off/loose and you wanna keep track of em. The only hard part is that darn oil line next to the pan, its jsut hard to reach.

#2 You start lifting. From my experiance, as well as everything i read here, theres no problem with wires/whatever getting pulled. Still means you need to check it while lifting. I only had a cheap 2 1/2 ton floor jack, that only goes liek 12 or 14" high. It was NO WHERE near high enough to lift the body. I ended up nailing EIGHT! 2x4s together to lift the body high enough to install the lift blocks.

The bed is cake, if you get two guys to lift the bed up, you can slip the spacers in, then line it up.

#3 putting it all back togeher, is pretty simple too. But heres where it gets a little time consuming. Time consuming meaning you are gonna have to drill the front bumper lift bracket, as well as lift your hitch up by drilling 6 new holes, then your step bars. You are gonna need a drill press. If you dont have one, id suggest having a local machine shop do the drilling for you. It will take a month trying to drill the step bars and hitch with a hand drill. Even with the press, it took me a couple weeks of drilling to get my step bars raised. ustr time consuming lining everything up, measuring, etc.

Don't be afraid to do it. It is cake. Plenty of old threads here to read. Lots of em have info on things you dont have to do that the instrucitons say to do, like relocating the front diff actuator. You dont have to.

Just do it on the weekend, and start early. Make sure you have a ride for monday/possible tuesday if Murphy shows up and it takes longer then expected.
Maybe if I read the directions over and over I'll work up the courage to do it. Just remember - when I said I was a newbie, I really meant it! :lol:
14x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 14x4 »

Is around $1000 the average for shop costs to install a body lift? I'm fairly certain I cannot do it myself, so should I keep calling around or should I just wait until I have the dough?
03 ZR5. 4-Linked Dana 44
blaz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by blaz »

14x4 wrote:Is around $1000 the average for shop costs to install a body lift? I'm fairly certain I cannot do it myself, so should I keep calling around or should I just wait until I have the dough?
It took me 10-12 hours to do a body lift on a blazer. so that would mean about $100 per hour, unless they are buying the body lift then you are looking at $80 an hour. If I were you I would try phoning a few more places, quotes are free right. :lol: If on the other hand you use this shop all the time and are very happy and confident in thier work then the slightly higher cost might be justified.

Good Luck!
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

14x4 wrote:Is around $1000 the average for shop costs to install a body lift? I'm fairly certain I cannot do it myself, so should I keep calling around or should I just wait until I have the dough?
Stop and think about this. I got a pretty decent Craftsman air compressor with 1/2" impact wrench, 3/8" ratchet plus and an air chisel for under $320. You can probably get the PA BL for under $250. We're talking a total of $570, so far. The rest can go to hand tools that will last longer than you or I. Sears has sales every week and a $150 mechanic's set of craftsman is more than you need. No we are at $720. The saved $280 can go for the decent jack stands, bottle jack and floor jack. You'll have more than enough leftover for tools that you might need.

Those hand tools are only bought one time if, you do not lose them or loan them to idiots. The compressor, floor jack and air tools might last you 10 yrs if, you are careful.

All you have to do is research and you can do it yourself. That $1000 is for your eye candy and it will not add one red cent to the resale or trade in value.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I agree with Reed and anyone who wants and thinks they can, I am sure we can walk through the install.

On the other hand, there are those who, lord help them, can burn water. Sure we can lead you through putting the pot on the stove and water in the pot, but some how they burn themselves and the water too.
If you're one of those, shop around. Figure the job is a 6-10 hour install and you may be able to find someone capable for around $50 an hour. I would say $300-$500 would be a good price.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Learning to work on your own vehicles will save you a whole lot of money that can be used for more important stuff in your life. :wink:

There have been several members here who didn't think they could do the body lift by themself and then with a little guidance they completed the job and realized that it really wasn't all that bad.

Once you complete a job like this you will have more confidence the next time you need to do your own work.

With all that said I do agree with Brule that there are certain people who should never work on vehicles! :?:

I have a few friends like this! :shock:

You probably already know if you are one of these people. :wink:

If you do decide to do the body lift there are plenty of people around here who can help out! :D

Steve
14x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 14x4 »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the help guys, and thanks for making this it's own thread. (I was surprised and confused when I saw this.)

I know I'm mechanically capable of doing it - I just need help. I'm a visual learner so its much easier for me to learn by watching someone rather than reading instructions. If it were the opposite, I'd be a automotive genius by now from being on this forum all the time!

I'll keep making some calls and I'll try to get a "friend of a friend" to do it - not a shop. That way I can help him out and get to know my truck better. :wink:
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Only one way to learn.

Only time I have ever had someone else work on my old s-10 was when my airbag derm module? went out and onl the dealership can get that part, and install it :twisted: $500+

And, I had my tranny flushed and fitler changed on my crew.

I promise this is something you an do. Its not bad AT ALL. Lie i siad most annoying parts I had was drilling the hitch to raise it, and the step bars.

Its my own personal opinio that is this is something you dont thin kyou cant do, then maybe you shouldnt be venturing out into the wilderness with your vehicle. If something goes wrong out there, whatcha gonna do? :2:

But theres nothing to it! Really. The instructions were intimidating at first to me. But after I st down and read through it all, it made so much since, and looked like cake.

All our doing is removing/losing certain parts. Jacking the boy up, putting blocks in there, and putting it back together, its cake! I wouldn't hesitate to do another body lift in the future!
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

Maybe you just don't feel like doing it. I've had that problem a few times in the last 56 yrs. But you really have to get serious about finding the right shop to do a job for you. I told my Purcel tire shop guy that I was thinking body lift and he said he would do it for me for $100, since he had all the tools and lift machines he would need right there. He's a jeepster himself and has done several BLs on multiple vehicles. So just talk around if you'd just rather get it done instead of doing it yourself, heck maybe you just don't have the time ? 8)
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
14x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 14x4 »

Days ago I gave the PA-192 body lift instructions to a mechanic so he could study it in order to give me an accurate price quote. Originally I told him from 8 to 12 hours based on what I read on this site. I called him today and he told me after looking through the directions it might very well take 20 hours! That would be more than $2,000 for the lift.

:lol:
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

Must be a factory trained GM wrench. :!: :crazy: :nana:
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Shhh, tell ya what, youcome up from Missouri. Stay a few days here, ill do it for 1K for ya ;)
14x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 14x4 »

Just talked to another guy today. He read the instructions and said it looks very difficult. He said it would probably take him more than 15 hours. I'm losing hope!
03 ZR5. 4-Linked Dana 44
14x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 14x4 »

fallvitals wrote:Shhh, tell ya what, youcome up from Missouri. Stay a few days here, ill do it for 1K for ya ;)
(Illlinois)

I don't even have $1,000 let alone $2,000 the mechanic wants. :(
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

14x4 wrote:(Illlinois)

Wow That Guys Nuts..... $2000.00 To Do A Body Lift, If I Lived Closer To Illinois I'd Come Over And Help Ya For Pizza & Beer :D
The Crew Is Gone, Now I Have A Hoe
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

gocntry wrote:
14x4 wrote:(Illlinois)

Wow That Guys Nuts..... $2000.00 To Do A Body Lift, If I Lived Closer To Illinois I'd Come Over And Help Ya For Pizza & Beer :D
Pretty much the same thing I was thinking. $2000 is a joke! I don't even think shops charge that much to install a suspension lift which is way more time consuming. :?:

Feel like doing it yourself yet? :idea:

Steve
14x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 14x4 »

gocntry wrote:Wow That Guys Nuts..... $2000.00 To Do A Body Lift, If I Lived Closer To Illinois I'd Come Over And Help Ya For Pizza & Beer :D
I'm at the point where I wouldn't mind driving to Virginia so you could help me! Pizza and a beer? I'd buy you 5 pounds of Jumbo Alaskan King Crab...

killian96ss wrote:Feel like doing it yourself yet? :idea:

Steve
I would love to do it myself! But after an experienced mechanic just told me it looks very difficult, even for him, how do you think I feel?!
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I think that mechanic has never installed a body lift.

A- Do you have the tools to do the job?

B- Do you have a friend who can read?

C- Do you have another vehicle if this one is out of commission for two weekends?

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
14x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 14x4 »

HenryJ wrote:I think that mechanic has never installed a body lift.

A- Do you have the tools to do the job?

B- Do you have a friend who can read?

C- Do you have another vehicle if this one is out of commission for two weekends?

A - No. I'd have to buy jacks and what-not.

B - I think so. :lol:

C - No other vehicle, but I could possibly get rides to work and school.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

14x4 wrote:A - No. I'd have to buy jacks and what-not.
What tools do you have?

D- Do you change you own oil and service your vehicles?

- ThunderII KE7CSK
14x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 14x4 »

HenryJ wrote:
14x4 wrote:A - No. I'd have to buy jacks and what-not.
What tools do you have?

D- Do you change you own oil and service your vehicles?
I have basic tools - no air compressor, impact wrench, air chisel, etc. The things that f9k9 stated above. :lol: ^

D - oil? Yes.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Reed only mentioned those tools as they are the amount of money saved by doing it yourself.

The body lift can be done with a few short pieces of 2x4 lumber and a medium sized bottle jack.
If you have a 1/2" drive ratchet with metric sockets for the mounts. A set of end wrenches and maybe a 3/8" drive ratchet and sockets, that is the biggest part.

Hobie did his lift in the parking lot of the apartment. Basic hand tools and a bottle jack are all he had. Now granted he did raise the passenger side too much and tore the wires from the PCM. That required a trip on a roll back to the dealer for repairs. BUT, he did install the lift.

Read the threads on "bodylift / body lift" here. Print out both sets of install directions and read them three times each. Find your literate friend an have them read them to you step by step during the install. I have no doubt that we can talk you through it if needed.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

air tools are not required at all. But are nice. I used this CHEAP junk air ratchet from harbor freight. It was handy ONCE THE BELTS WERE BROKE, to unthread the rest of it.

All you need is basic tools, floor jack, preferably a higher lift one, some 2x4s and nails, a long extension to get that bed bolt at the gas tank. A breaker bar, a 1/2 to 3/8 socket adapter (and other size adapters) are useful when those 12 point 1/2" sockets dont want to grab as well as 6 point 3/8" sockets.

For what your gonna pay in tools, your still gonna be in the green vs paying someone.

Have any buddys with tools?

What would REALLY speed up the lift would be having say you work on the front, and your buddy work on the back, cut the time in half.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

fallvitals wrote:......... What would REALLY speed up the lift would be having say you work on the front, and your buddy work on the back, cut the time in half.
Unless you both are comfortable with wrenching alone, I would stay together on this install. Two heads are better than one for when one jacks the cab or bed and the other is watching wires, connections, grounds......etc.

Print off the BDS 2" BL instructions, as well. They had better photos and provided much additional instructions. They do not provide much help with raising the bumpers but, it was a great asset for Top_Sgt and myself during our installs.

DO NOT USE USE YOUR TOW HOOKS IF, YOU GO WITH BDS TOW HOOK SPACERS! They are for show and mall crawlers only! We can look at alternatives when your BL is complete.

You will tweak the frame horns if, used improperly.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Well, I ment have someone work on the front, the other on the back during the tear down and putting everything back together. During the install of the blocks, definantly use two heads.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

One set of hands working and two heads focusing on the task.

If both were experienced and work well together , then freelancing might be an option.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

14x4 wrote:I'd buy you 5 pounds of :FILET MIGNON...

Fixed It For Ya :lol:
The Crew Is Gone, Now I Have A Hoe
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

lol... :lol:
2002 GMC Sonoma crew cab 4x4. Tb mod, Air box mod, pre cat delete,B&M shift improver, Trans cooler, Big three ,AD-244 alt,Red top Optima, e-fan, HD Radaitor,265/70-16' on 16x8 TA wheels,, t-bar tweek, 1.5 inch shackles and 2 inch body lift,Skids fender trim, 1.5 inch wheel spacers in front and 2.5 in back, Quad mod and Frog lights.
Transfercase vacuum switch change DO IT!!!
14x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 14x4 »

gocntry wrote:
14x4 wrote:I'd buy you 5 pounds of :FILET MIGNON...

Fixed It For Ya :lol:
That was my second choice! :lol: