tosion keys and 265 bfgs

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

possumbab

tosion keys and 265 bfgs

Post by possumbab »

Hey y'all Im new to the site and s10's ,always had full size. i was wondering bout torsion key replacment on my crew cab, i have always used them on my z71's and never had a problem with them but i notice y'all dont think very highly of them is it really that bad on an s10 ??? i just wanna run 265 bfg at's and was hopin i could do this stock but i dont see it happening but with the key replacment and 2" shackles in the back will it work? thank :?
Blake :?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Hi Blake. :wave:

The torsion keys are not an option on these trucks really. If you don't offroad and are just in it for the look, a few have done it with mixed results. Not in crew cabs though. The majority running them seem to be the RPO ZR2 models. The higher wider suspension may play a part there?

Why not?

Well there are a couple things I can think of. The suspension only has room to adjust for the Z height to be cranked to a point. Beyond that there is no way to correct the caster and camber. This point can be achieved with the stock torsion bar adjusters and keys. Why would you buy keys and have to back them off when the stock keys will already reach that point.
Second is the limits of the ball joints. At maximum Z height you are very close to binding the ball joints. The Stock bump stops are pretty soft and will not completely protect you from over extending their range.
The upper ball joints are the worst as the upper a-arms are short and therefore travel further. This can be remedied by changing the upper a-arms. That will correct the angle and give you some more room, but you still have the issues with the lower a-arm.

Now the next issue. The CV joints. Adjusted for max z height we already have problems tossing CV boots. Most can be remedied with a better clamp, but still it is an issue. if you intend to go further you will likely need different boots that are softer and will flex harder. That could mean they are weaker and may be damaged easier? I don't know.
That will put the CV joints at a very steep angle. I don't know what the range of operation is for the joint itself as the boots seem to be a limiting factor here.

We did have one member run the torsion keys for a while. His was due to the weight of a large winch attached to the front. He was unable to achieve the max Z height with the stock keys. That would be an exception. His did not run those for long though. It soon received an SFA. Check out Quickbikers truck for more on that.

You mention a 265. That is just the width. If you can find a 265/70-16 or 265/75-15 that you like it should fit with a little trimming and a 2" body lift. That would be almost the same size as a 31x10.5-15.

Look around here. Don't be afraid to bring an old thread back to life. That keeps all the information together and makes it easier for the next guy who is searching for answers.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
possumbab

thanx

Post by possumbab »

hey man thanks for gettin back on this so quick. and the answer really help. as far as hard core off roader im not just gravels and levees i hunt and fish alot though and the low stance of this truck just kinda scary bein this low but i dont want a lil monster truck either haha :D i do beleive i will be goin with the body lift then i appreciate it
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Check out the readers rides post.
There are several trucks running the 2" body lift and 30" or 31" tires.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
GAS
Crew
Crew

Re:

Post by GAS »

HenryJ wrote: If you can find a 265/70-16 or 265/75-15 that you like it should fit with a little trimming and a 2" body lift. ...
Don't be afraid to bring an old thread back to life. That keeps all the information together and makes it easier for the next guy who is searching for answers.
I would like to ask about 265/70/15: will they fit without any crank or BL? Now I use 30x9.5 on stock N90 rims and have no rubbing unless it doesn’t articulation like these: Image
Since we have global warming scenario just like in “Day after tomorrow” movie I’m thinking’ about studded winter tires.
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: tosion keys and 265 bfgs

Post by Walt »

Anything larger than 30x9.5's will usually rub without a body lift. With my fenders stock, a 2 inch body lift, and a 1 inch torsion bar crank, my 31x10.5's rubbed the frame, and were very close to the backside of the wheel opening. Go for the body lift. It does so much for the appearance of the truck, and you'll have much better luck fitting slightly larger tires. :)
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

I cranked my torsion bars and rub 30x9.5s just slightly in the fender on heavy hits.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
GAS
Crew
Crew

Post by GAS »

How do you think the reason those tires rubs is its width or its height? Asking because 265/70/15 is wider then the 30x9.5 but at the same time a bit lower (theoretically :evil: ).
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

With 30x9.5x15 Hankook Dynapro ATM's , I have done the Skidz Flare cuts to all 4 wheel wells, this gave me fore and aft wheel well clearance for easy up to 31x10.5's. I have cranked my Torsion bars up 1 1/2", installed 1 1/2" Daystar lift shackles on the rear and full size Bump stops off '94 full size halfton chevy pickup, solid stops front ,hollow stops rear. This has given me plenty of lift in mild driving off road to clear my 30x9.5, not sure of taller tires yet. I am also on 8x15 wheels with 3 3/4" back spacing and I do not rub anywhere in turns uphill ,downhill , or flat. The ONLY rub I have now is going to fast on a bump , dip , or jump, I will hit lightly on the top of my front wheel wells. This is only because my front tires set 2" outside the fenders. :bounce: 8)
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
GAS
Crew
Crew

Post by GAS »

Thanx. Some food for thought... :twisted: