Problems with wheel spacers?

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

paintballrocker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Problems with wheel spacers?

Post by paintballrocker »

as most of you kno i did the t-bar tweak w/ 30;s, and 1.25" spacers.

yesterday morning driving to school my rear drivers side wheel fell off as i was doing 15mph :shock: :cry:. the way it happened the lug studs on the rotor broke and my truck was blocking a lane of a major road. 4 of the 5 lugs broke off

Damage:
bottom corner of bed bent to hell
busted fender flare
trashd rotor from it grinding on the pavement
And the shop said the fall might of bent my axle and frame possibly :cry:

so im waiting on the insurance company to tell me if theyll fix it or total it, but the good news is if they fix it i only hve a $50 deductable

is it possible that the spacers caused the lugs to break?

:?:
[size=75]2002 CC, westin push bar with 2 lights, bed cover, custom made cat-back exhaust.......soon a steering stabilizer mod, lift, sounds system[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

If the lugs were loose any wheel or adapter can break studs.
Wheel adapters themselves only change the wheel rearspacing. Properly tightened they are no different than wheels with less rearspacing.

There should be signs of they were loose.

If not it might have been they were over torqued? Seems like a couple have broken studs that way?

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
paintballrocker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

im not sure how they broke, the last time i messed wth the tires was when the shop put on my MT's, they used an airgun so maybe they were overtightend?
[size=75]2002 CC, westin push bar with 2 lights, bed cover, custom made cat-back exhaust.......soon a steering stabilizer mod, lift, sounds system[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

If they didn't torque them , it is possible. Most shops are wise to that. If they did your tires they had no reason to mess with the adapters though. You said the axle studs broke , so it lies with who installed the adapters. They needed to be rechecked after a hundred miles or so too.

Can you get pictures? That will tell quite a bit.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
paintballrocker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

i can try to get one off of my phone, thats what i took it with, but the last time i checked the spacers they were tight.

do you think my insuarnce will cover it or deem it totaled?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I doubt they total it. If they can find reason to fault anyone, or thing , they will try. If they think the adapter failed, or caused the failure, they may deny the claim. In that case you will be on your own.

To date I think you are the first I have heard of here that has broken wheel studs at the axle while running wheel adapters.
I think one broke wheel studs and had no adapters and another broke adapter studs.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

man, that sucks... where did you get your adapters from? glad your okay.
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Uh yea, I was the one who broke 3 of 5 wheel studs on my stock hub, this was as I added the spacers but did not realize how LITTLE 100lb/ft of torque is when using a 3/8 socket. I bught a torque wrench after that to solve that problem. Is it possible the shop "helped" you by hitting the lugs when they had the wheel off just to make sure they were tight?

Sorry to hear about the damage but glad you are ok. That could have been real bad at highway speeds.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

If, you cannot install spacers yourself with the proper tools then, you should not install them. Wait, let me expand on that a little. Do not install any mod if, you cannot do it yourself!

Their are exceptions when things like welding are required but, wheel spacers need to be addressed frequently when first installed. It is some pretty basic stuff. There is no excuse not to perform the mods yourself unless, you have one deep wallet and refuse to invest in hand tools that will last long after you depart this world.

I am glad that no one was hurt.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
paintballrocker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

i installed them correctly, i followed the instruction sheet and even added loctite, and checked them after 150 miles. so i dont think i installed them wrong.

yeah i am glad it happened when it did, it woulda sucked at highway speeds.

well the insurance company called to have us get a quote from the shop, ill keep yall posted with the events
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Wheel studs can get cracked and or stretched from just being over torqued once. Maybe they were bad before you even bought the truck. Your torque just happened to be the one that broke their back.
That is a tough one to tell unless you have owned it from new. You can look closely for stretched threads, but like I said, that is difficult.
In drag racing the studs get replaced. No questions.
I would suggest that if this is what you suspect, replace them all with some good quality studs. They only cost $1-$1.50 each.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
14x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 14x4 »

I'm starting to get scared about putting on my wheel adapters. :(
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

No need to be scared, this is the first catastrophic failure I can think of in all the threads on spacers and all the trucks running them that I can think of. My issue was one of a kind in that it is overly easy for me to over tighten any bolt if I don't pay attention. I would just carefully install per instructions and recheck the lug nuts after 100 miles or so. Most of us are running then and beating them off road with no issues at all.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Be a little scared of any thing you do whether a modification or maintenance item. Just rotating your tires could cause a problem like this, even without adapters.
It is always best to know the proper procedures and follow recommended practices. Even then , things can go wrong.
We can't live in a bubble. We can do our best to minimize the risk though.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Pictures would help, but from what you have said so far I would bet that the factory studs were overtightened somehow when the spacers were put on.
With the studs slightly stretched a few good bumps in the road could have easily overloaded them causing them to break.
About 9 years ago a friend of mine lost the rear wheel on his 68 Chevelle while going 70 mph on the freeway. :shock:
All 5 studs were snapped off, most likely from overtightening them.
I harassed him for years over that incident. :lol:

It is also very possible like Brule said that the previous owner or a shop had already overtightened the studs before which just set you up for disaster.

Get some pictures for us!

Steve
paintballrocker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

http://i341.photobucket.com/albums/o387 ... 090719.jpg

well here it is im too lazy to resize so ill link it later if i have too.
the damamge doesnt look bad but the rotor is all bend to hell, but im worried incase the axle or frame is bent :?

in the pic you can see that 3 of the 2 lugs broke off, and the 2 that were left were bent bad
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Pretty far to tell. but it looks like they broke off flush like they could have been over torqued.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
paintballrocker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

yeah the 3 that broke off were broken flush agiasnt the rotor. the other 2 r bent bad.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I would buy a torque wrench and replace all the studs. If those were cracked, the others may be also.
There is a thread on replacing wheel studs.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
paintballrocker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

well the shop is going to do that when they fix it, if they do fix it :(
DLP
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by DLP »

Were the holes in the rim wobbled out?
[size=75][b][color=blue]2003 Blue Crewcab[/b][/color][/size]
paintballrocker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

1 hole on the spacer had a sallow thread inprint, maybe they were overtighened AND when the one nut came loose they broke?
paintballrocker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

http://i341.photobucket.com/albums/o387 ... wheel2.jpg
these are the scrapes the broken studs put on the spacer

http://i341.photobucket.com/albums/o387 ... /wheel.jpg

its hard to see but this the hole with the threads inprinted in them
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

If I had to make a judgment call based on the pics you've posted I'd have to say it looks like the wheel studs holding the spacer to the rotor were/came loose as that's what thread marks imprinted on the wheel or spacer usually indicate. This would give the wheel leverage to then damage/break the other studs. JMO I am currently and have been for a while running spacers of the same design on the rear of my CC with no problems. (knock on wood) All my driving is pretty rough with the truck so I keep a close eye on the wheels and spacers.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
paintballrocker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

yeah i learned my lesson, when i checked the lug nuts after 150 miles they were still tight. they obviously came loose tho :?
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

It's also a very good idea to make sure the spacer to rotor and spacer to wheel area is clean and free of any debris and or rust any time either is removed and re-installed. I have been surprised how quickly dirt, corrosion, or rust accumulates on mine. I also try to keep those contact areas lubed with hi-temp silicone grease any time they are disturbed. Perhaps not necessary but it's working for me.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
paintballrocker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

well i cleaned the rotor surface before i installed them, but i didnt take them off since
paintballrocker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

update:

my truck will be fixed by wedensday :D

costing my insurance company $2900 :lol:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

paintballrocker wrote:...costing my insurance company $2900 :lol:
You laugh now. Your premiums will reflect the damages I'm sure , as well as those who share your insurance pool.
Glad you will get it all fixed though.

- ThunderII KE7CSK