2" Body Lift - DONE!

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

14x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

2" Body Lift - DONE!

Post by 14x4 »

I finally installed the PA-192 body lift! Everything seems to be pretty good despite a few setbacks. We need to fab up some brackets for my grille guard, or as the guy who helped me out calls it, my cow-catcher. :lol:

Also my bumper brackets were so rusted they would not come off, so I couldn't put on the new bumper brackets. My bumper is sitting two inches lower than everything else! :roflmao: (I PB'ed them so I should be able to get them off now.)

I will need to fabricate brackets for my hitch as well. Unless I can just drill lower holes, which I don't think I can.

Once all of that is dealt with, all I need to do is raise my step bars. Is it possible to just flip the brackets that are holding the bars, up-side down, thus raising up the bar?

:nana:
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Wahoo, Congrats!!!!!! Ref the hitch if, you need it to look normal just redrill the brackets attached to the frame. !.5" is all you can expect to still be able to get sockets on there.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
14x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 14x4 »

f9k9 wrote:Wahoo, Congrats!!!!!! Ref the hitch if, you need it to look normal just redrill the brackets attached to the frame. !.5" is all you can expect to still be able to get sockets on there.
Thanks!

I'm not sure there is room to drill new holes in the hitch brackets. My hitch isn't OEM so it may be different than others?
Are you saying drill new holes in the frame its self?
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

If you have the 3 piece GM/Valley hitch you can drill new mounting holes on the side brackets to move the hitch up 1-1/2".

Steve
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Good job! Cant wait to see pictures! That sucks with your bumper mounts!
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Re: 2" Body Lift - DONE!

Post by F9K9 »

14x4 wrote:.........Once all of that is dealt with, all I need to do is raise my step bars. Is it possible to just flip the brackets that are holding the bars, up-side down, thus raising up the bar? ......................
Nope :wink:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Nope, took me, what seemed like forever and a day to drill mine out. If you dont have a drill press, imho, your boned! I ALMOST decided to have a machine shop drill mine. I went and bought a new 5/8" bit (id go up to a 3/4" if I could do it again). and went at it. Luckily I just acquired a very old, but in great shape free drill press.
14x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 14x4 »

fallvitals wrote:If you dont have a drill press, imho, your boned!
I'll get it done somehow. :D

I think my most time consuming project will be the skidz cut and the stock ZR5 flare cuts.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

It is time consuming but, it can be done with just a vise and drill. You need to keep the rpms low and have a sharp bit and some oil. Once you pull the step off you will realize that it is just a step. No protection is provided by it's presence. The tube itself probably isn't over a couple of pounds in wgt. If, you decide to delete the steps and paint the frame for aesthetics, don't try to cut off the studs from the frame instead. They make the bracket drilling nightmare look like a walk in the park. Don't ask me how I know. :lol:
14x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 14x4 »

f9k9 wrote:You need to keep the rpms low and have a sharp bit and some oil.
I'll remember that. Thanks Reed.
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Reed, tell me about your ducks on cutting the studs off the frame? I cut off my unused studs after lifting the step bars. Only problem I had was it took a few saw blades as they tore up fast.

It can be done without a press. I first tried it in the vice with ym cordless 14.4v dewalt drill. I didnt get anywhere at all. I used up the whole battery and barely got it started. Same bit inthe press, cake. Was through it in no time.

The key is a sharp bit. But I suck at sharpening bits on a grinder I think I make em worst... I want to get a drill doctor one day...

Whichever way you go, with or without the step bars. Id recommend painting the frame with rubberized undercoating spray. I started not to because I thought it was like $10 a can. Turns out advance auto had it for just a hair over $4 a can. I got 4 cans for like a little less then $19 IIRC. But definantly less then $20. I just hit the frame with a pressure washer, let it dry and spray it on all the areas I could. Really made the rear fender look really good where the frame is exposed.

The Skid cuts arent too bad. Its just getting all the excess pieces out of the front fender that sucks. But if your gonna do my tutorial for modifying the flares and filling in the cuts with epoxy liek I did, or whatever material. That will take a while. The sanding is the worst!
14x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 14x4 »

fallvitals wrote:rubberized undercoating spray.
Gotcha.

fallvitals wrote:The sanding is the worst!
Sanding the flares?
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

14x4 wrote:
fallvitals wrote:The sanding is the worst!
Sanding the flares?
Well yeah if you plan to repaint them, as most people here have had issues with the stock paint flaking after a while. And if you do the Skid cuts to em, they are gonna look a little rough. Adding a filler of some sorts will smooth it out, and thats where there would be a lot of sanding. I dont know if you have seen it but heres the zr5 skid flare cut tutorial I did.

http://www.s-10crewcab.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7589
14x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 14x4 »

Just fixed the bumper. Next up: step bars. Then spring kit, shocks, skidz cuts, powder coating wheels, BFG 33's and DONE!
03 ZR5. 4-Linked Dana 44
14x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 14x4 »

Not that anyone cares, but I finished the spring kit and the rear shocks today. :D

I'm getting close...
03 ZR5. 4-Linked Dana 44
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

14x4 wrote:Just fixed the bumper. Next up: step bars. Then spring kit, shocks, skidz cuts, powder coating wheels, BFG 33's and DONE!
Congrats! And the "AFTER" photos are where..................?
14x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 14x4 »

f9k9 wrote:And the "AFTER" photos are where..................?
I figured I'd show you guys the truck when its all done; the big unveiling!

It should be complete in a week or two. If you really want to see pictures of the rig in progress, pm and I'll send you them. :lol:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Tease! :evil:

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
14x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 14x4 »

I didn't want to create a new thread for this so I'm just throwin' it on this one. Today, Friday the 13th (which was actually yesterday, by a hour and 15 minutes), was a pretty crazy day. Bad news and good news.

The good news is my torsion bars are cranked, my wheels are aligned and my 33's are on. The truck looks great; its really starting to come together. I couldn't be more satisfied with them.

Here is the bad news. I dropped my truck off at the tire shop at 9am. I was scheduled for an alignment and 4 new tires. I was talking to the guy at the desk and I told him that I had wheel adapters that needed to go on or else the tires wouldn't fit. He gave me a weird look and I instantly knew the day was going to be more difficult than I had planned (boy was I in for a treat).

He took a look at the adapters and told me they could not install them (or the tires, obviously) because they pose a liability. After a few minutes of frustration and reasoning, I asked if I could take off the tires on my own, install the wheel adapters, put my tires back on and bring the truck back for the new tire installation. Again, he denied. I even asked him if there was a waver I could sign releasing them from any responsibility if the adapters did in fact break. Nope.

We came to the conclusion that my one and only option was to take off the wheels myself and bring just the wheels back. I was pretty angry, but I had no choice. I was to get my wheels aligned, pick up my truck then take the wheels off at home and bring them back for the new tire installation.

I went home (driven by someone else) and waited about a hour and a half for them to call me and tell me my alignment was done. Got the call and was driven back to the shop. For a reason yet unknown to me, there was a police officer in the parking lot of the tire shop; I thought nothing of it. I walked in to get the receipt for the alignment and the manager came up to me and told me that the police officer needed to see my registration and insurance information. With a dumbstruck look on my face, I asked why. She told me one of her employees was parking another customers car and had side-swiped the back corner of my truck. I'm sure you all can imagine being in that situation, so I don't have to describe how angry I was. It wasn't just because the corner of my truck was side-swiped, but because that had to happen right after I found out I had to do all the tire-work myself.

My truck turned out to have minimal damage. The other customers pickup truck, however, was in bad shape. While I had only scratches and scuffs on my back bumper and under the tail light, her pickup truck had dents 2-3 feet in length. The tire shop is going to pay any body shop I choose to fix the scuffs (which are not too bad, fixing them myself wouldn't be a problem).

After that whole ordeal I had to bring my truck home, jack it up and leave it on blocks. Thankfully, my dad has a work-pickup that he let me use to haul the wheels to and from the tire shop.

So tomorrow, or today technically, I have to go to the police department and pick up the police report. Then I have to go to a body shop and get an estimate. Instead of having the tire shop pay for the body shop work, I think I'm just going to tell them to give me a free 33" BFG as a spare. :evil:

After all that, SKIDZ FLARES! :lol:
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Whew, that was an ordeal and a half. The Tire shop that you went to, was it a chain store?

I am not at all surprised with them backing away from the truck equipped with spacers. One way around that would have been to remove the spacers and gently drive to and from the shop without them and then reinstall them when back home.

It is much worse to try to find a tire shop that will deal with bead lock wheels. There are DOT approved bead lock wheels and it is still a rare shop that will service them. Most owners of them are left to service them without the aid of the tools that a tire shop possesses.

14x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 14x4 »

f9k9 wrote:I am not at all surprised with them backing away from the truck equipped with spacers.
Yup. They want nothing to do with my truck now that I have wheel adapters on it. There was an advertisement that said "Buy 2 or more new tires and get free tire rotations every 6000 miles." I asked the guy about it and he said I cannot get my tires rotated at that shop because I have wheel adapters.
f9k9 wrote:One way around that would have been to remove the spacers and gently drive to and from the shop without them and then reinstall them when back home.
I didn't think that was possible; I thought the truck wouldn't even move without the spacers! That would've been a lot easier. :(
f9k9 wrote:It is much worse to try to find a tire shop that will deal with bead lock wheels.
Why is that? Are they also a "liability?" :wink:
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

14x4 wrote:..........Why is that? Are they also a "liability?" :wink:
One reason is that they are a lot of work and most tire installers do not know what a torque wrench is. :lol: There's a bunch of bolts to torque in the proper sequence.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Another part of it is the bad rap they get from the old over the wheel stud spacers. Wheel adapters are different. Most lump them all in the same basket. If they had been told that these are rotor retention devices the reaction would be different.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
14x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 14x4 »

HenryJ wrote:Another part of it is the bad rap they get from the old over the wheel stud spacers. Wheel adapters are different. Most lump them all in the same basket. If they had been told that these are rotor retention devices the reaction would be different.
I see.

Well my Skidz flares are on. The MML is officially done. (Besides full-size bump stops.)

:D
Last edited by 14x4 on Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blaz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by blaz »

14x4 wrote: Well my my Skidz flares are on. The MML is officially done. (Besides full-size bump stops.)

:D
After pics please! :shock:
14x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 14x4 »

blaz wrote:After pics please! :shock:
No-can-do friend. The rig isn't finished yet! I can only unveil it after it is all done!

I have a few more mods to do. I will post pictures as soon as I get those done.
blaz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by blaz »

14x4 wrote: No-can-do friend. The rig isn't finished yet! I can only unveil it after it is all done!

I have a few more mods to do. I will post pictures as soon as I get those done.
I didn't know that anyone was actually ever finished! :D

I guess you mean finished "STAGE ONE". You will have more and more :idea: 's as time passes.

Oh, don't worry we will still bug you for pics. :lol:
14x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 14x4 »

blaz wrote:I didn't know that anyone was actually ever finished! :D
I guess you're right. I won't be finished by the time I post pictures, but it will be at the ideal aesthetic level. :lol:
blaz wrote:I guess you mean finished "STAGE ONE". You will have more and more :idea: 's as time passes.
Exactly. Thats true.
blaz wrote:Oh, don't worry we will still bug you for pics. :lol:
Doesn't bother me none! I'm exited that you guys want to see my rig!!
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

lol, I think you stole a few of Reed's ducks on Fri 13th.

Pretty crazy story. I know when I had mine done. It was my my uncle's shop. But none of the guys checking out my truck saying the 33s wont fit, never said a word of asked about the spacers on there. They did have to write up the fronts were rubbing though.
14x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 14x4 »

f9k9 wrote:The Tire shop that you went to, was it a chain store?

Sorry Reed, I forgot to answer this question.

Nope, it wasn't a chain.
14x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 14x4 »

fallvitals wrote:lol, I think you stole a few of Reed's ducks on Fri 13th.

Pretty crazy story. I know when I had mine done. It was my my uncle's shop. But none of the guys checking out my truck saying the 33s wont fit, never said a word of asked about the spacers on there. They did have to write up the fronts were rubbing though.
Did you put the spacers on before you brought it to the shop? Or did they put them on?
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

I put them on, before.
14x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 14x4 »

Oohhh ok.
03 ZR5. 4-Linked Dana 44
14x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 14x4 »

F9K9 wrote:Congrats! And the "AFTER" photos are where..................?
blaz wrote:After pics please! :shock:
03 ZR5. 4-Linked Dana 44
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Totally awesome! What bed cover and tail light guards do you have?
blaz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by blaz »

:thumb: Looks clean!
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I'm sorry, but when I see another truck looking similar to my old one... I just want to :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
14x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 14x4 »

Thanks a lot guys. :D
F9K9 wrote:What bed cover and tail light guards do you have?
Bed cover: Access Literider Roll-Up Tonneau Cover
http://www.autoanything.com/tonneau-cov ... 08948.aspx

Tail light guards: These may be hard to find. I have a feeling they are discontinued because I cannot find them now and they were pretty hard to find even when I bought them (more than 6 months ago). I purchased them on Ebay. They are made by Manik.
http://www.manik.com/
03 ZR5. 4-Linked Dana 44
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Thanks for the info!! :thumb:
14x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

2" Body Lift - DONE!

Post by 14x4 »

I just installed the full size bump stops earlier in the day. I can't believe I waited this long! I am very satisfied with the result. Although I wasn't sure if I was imagining it or not, the ride felt very cushioned and my front end barely dipped down while driving over bumps. My girlfriend immediately noticed the difference when I picked her up - which reassured me. It took about 45 minutes and a lot of messing around with the jack and other tools to install the first bump stop; it took me less than 10 minutes to do the other. :lol:

The MML is *officially* complete.

03 ZR5. 4-Linked Dana 44
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

:thumb: Awesome

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Rich K.
Crew
Crew

Post by Rich K. »

Your lift is awesome! Great job! :thumb:
[size=75]Drive it in, tow it out! Thats our motto...[/size]
14x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 14x4 »

Rich K. wrote:Your lift is awesome! Great job! :thumb:
Thank you!
03 ZR5. 4-Linked Dana 44
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Looks great! Tell me about your brush guard! Looks just like Reed's, I know he had to do some fabricating to get it to fit. I would love to have the brush guard on my truck if I could get it to fit, then mount PIAA driving lights to it.
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Brain fart, we talked about this via email before, sent another email!