Four Wheel Drive Problem

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

14x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Four Wheel Drive Problem

Post by 14x4 »

Every time I take a sharp turn while in four wheel drive, it feels like something behind the front wheel is grinding - particularly on the driver's side. Not only can I hear it, but the car actually stutters and slows down while turning.

Could this be because my front end is lower than my back end? (I installed the Boise spring kit but I haven't adjusted my torsion bars yet - my truck is not even.)

Anyone have any ideas? :?

Thanks.
Mike.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

You should never turn hard on a hard / good traction , surface while locked in 4x4. There is no where to give.

Ok, that said, could it be that your hearing a partially engaged front axle shaft?

Maybe the bind putting pressure on a weak bearing? Could the sound be a brake rubbing due to the loose wheel bearing?

Could it be a frame rub or body rub you are hearing? The frame rub will vibrate things pretty good and can sound horrible.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
14x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 14x4 »

I suppose I have to consider all of those things. The only reason I've been using it is because it has been raining on and off for about a week and my tires are pretty bald. Every time I go even slightly uphill from a dead-stop, my tires spin.
03 ZR5. 4-Linked Dana 44
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Use less skinny pedal. Sharp turns in the rain almost always break my trucks rear free and that is with good tires.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

No fix for bald tires, but airing down might help a little.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
14x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 14x4 »

I'm not worried about my current junk tires because my 33's are at the shop waiting to be installed. I'm just worried about that grinding. :?

Does adjusting my torsion bars and adding the front wheel adapters have any chance at fixing this problem - whatever it may be?
14x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 14x4 »

HenryJ wrote:Could it be a frame rub or body rub you are hearing? The frame rub will vibrate things pretty good and can sound horrible.
I don't think the tire rubbing against the body or frame would make my truck stutter like it does (although I could be wrong - that tends to happen alot :wink:). It feels much more serious; like something is stopping the wheel from spinning or something.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The front and rear axles are joined through the transfercase, but unlike the way each axle is joined by the differential, there is no differential to allow the front and rear drive of the transfer case to turn at different rates like the differential allows the axles to do.When you make a turn something has to give. On lower friction surfaces you do not feel the scrubbing and slipping that occurs. On a high traction surface this can be very violent. Tires slipping is a good thing. Breaking CV joints or axles can happen too.

AWD transfercases have a clutch pak to allow them to work on traction surfaces. Ours do not have this. They are directly connected, no where to give when the front and rear axles are turning at different rates such as occurs in a turn.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
MinnesotaMudder
Crew
Crew

Post by MinnesotaMudder »

Mine had the same problem turned out to be the front drive shaft the rubber boot broke and i had to replace the whole shaft.
14x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 14x4 »

MinnesotaMudder wrote:Mine had the same problem turned out to be the front drive shaft the rubber boot broke and i had to replace the whole shaft.
:twisted: great.