Body lift difference between gmc and chevy

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Body lift difference between gmc and chevy

Post by Jongo88 »

Is there any difference between a s10 and a Sonoma? The front ends are different... I ordered my body lift so I can join the club. I read up on the install online and they talk about the Chevy and say nothing about the GMC...
2002 GMC Sonoma crew cab 4x4. Tb mod, Air box mod, pre cat delete,B&M shift improver, Trans cooler, Big three ,AD-244 alt,Red top Optima, e-fan, HD Radaitor,265/70-16' on 16x8 TA wheels,, t-bar tweek, 1.5 inch shackles and 2 inch body lift,Skids fender trim, 1.5 inch wheel spacers in front and 2.5 in back, Quad mod and Frog lights.
Transfercase vacuum switch change DO IT!!!
14x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 14x4 »

As far as I knew they were the exact same thing. Although I think many S10's and Sonoma's have slightly different parts depending on the years. I had a lot of unused parts in the body lift. The extension for the fuel hose (whatever its called) wasn't even close to the same size as the one in my truck! I had to make do without an extension...
03 ZR5. 4-Linked Dana 44
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

I have a 2002 Sonoma.. What do you have??
2002 GMC Sonoma crew cab 4x4. Tb mod, Air box mod, pre cat delete,B&M shift improver, Trans cooler, Big three ,AD-244 alt,Red top Optima, e-fan, HD Radaitor,265/70-16' on 16x8 TA wheels,, t-bar tweek, 1.5 inch shackles and 2 inch body lift,Skids fender trim, 1.5 inch wheel spacers in front and 2.5 in back, Quad mod and Frog lights.
14x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 14x4 »

Jongo8 wrote:I have a 2002 Sonoma.. What do you have??
2003 S10
14x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 14x4 »

14x4 wrote:I think many S10's and Sonoma's have slightly different parts depending on the years.
What I meant by that was S10's can be different from other S10's. Not just different from Sonomas.
paintballrocker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by paintballrocker »

there isnt a difference, the body mounts are in the same location
[size=75]2002 CC, westin push bar with 2 lights, bed cover, custom made cat-back exhaust.......soon a steering stabilizer mod, lift, sounds system[/size]
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

That part is the same.. The bumper cover is what I'm worried about.
14x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 14x4 »

What kind of body kit did you get? The PA-192 from Summit?

It says Chevy, GMC, S10 Pickup, Sonoma kit.

Even if its not the same exact body kit, I think you're good.
Last edited by 14x4 on Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

That's the one... You know the before the install worry... I just was wondering how the bumper fits. The Sonoma is one peice.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

You'll be good. Just make sure you have all the parts. The front outside bumper brackets was a mystery to myself and another member ,that was a Honda tech before he got into nursing. Brule had a pic of how it should go but, I am unable to relocate it. An 8mm or 10mm ratcheting wrench saved us a bunch of time on the transmission line bracket that so many complain about. Soak all fasteners daily for a week before the install and it will help considerably.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

I have read and read and I'm lost.. They say to remove the blinkers. The sonoma headlights are made with the blinkers. So I guess I remove the headlights.
They say to trim the valence. I don't have a valence. So I guess I have to trim the bumper.
They give you 3 hoses and a peice of pipe. I don't know witch ones to use.
The pictures suck too. I'm old how am I to see that?
I wish they would of marked the parts. There are some parts that I don't know what they are for...
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Chill out, bro! Here are some better instructions but, only use them as a guide. They are two different companies but The BDS kit has better pics and details.

Soak all fasteners daily for a week before attempting this. Most use PB Blaster but, I prefer Sea Foam "Deep Creep".

Headlight/turn signal removal is easy. Yours will just be easier because it's all one unit.

Don't get frustrated, practice improving your searches. There is a link in my sig that may give some insight.

Keep us posted.
BTW, you will end up with a chit load of extra parts and that is normal. :wink:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

This is the only forum that I have a very hard time searching...
Thank you for the help... This looks so much better...
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Jongo8 wrote:This is the only forum that I have a very hard time searching... Thank you for the help...
It is not he best nor the worst forum for conducting searches, I agree. We are hosted by a member that sold his CC over 5 yrs ago. We are here out of his generosity. We have to work with what we are given. I have seen a heck of a lot of forums that are harder to search on than this one.
You have shown signs that you have searched and we will always attempt to help out. any one that tries.
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

The cab is lifted.... Had to work today. I got home at 2:30.. The only problem is the washers for the core bolts are to small. The ones on the bolts that came out won't come off the bolts. I have bigger washers though so not a problem. I would never trust them little washers they give you... I probley will wait until tomorrow to lift the bed and put it all back together.
Oh the other thing is the bolts for my step bars are to short. So no step bars for now....
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Jongo8 wrote:The only problem is the washers for the core bolts are to small.
What is a "core bolt"? I have a pretty good supply of hardened washers around too. Those soft zinc plated washers can be frustrating for sure.
...the other thing is the bolts for my step bars are to short. So no step bars for now....
I bought bolts for my step bars at the local John Deere agricultural tractor parts dealer. They have a great supply of long metric bolts.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

The bolts that go through the core support. I had to use bigger washers. The bolts that I took out had the washers like made to them. They won't come over the threads.
I now have the bed on and lined up. The fuel fill is done too. I ran out of day light. I should be done tomorrow.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Sounds good. So I am guessing and you can tell us... The front valance on the GMC Sonoma is the plastic portion of the front center bumper. When you raised the bumper, I am guessing that you did not need to trim the upper part of the opening for the tow hooks to allow the frame to intrude?
It seems like the GMC valance did not have the deep pockets like the Chevrolet.
Is this correct?

Other than that and removal of the headlamp assembly did you find any other differences doing the lift. The front should be the only differences.

Which install directions worked best for you? The paper that came with it? The .PDF from our website? Or the BDS instructions?

What did you find the most confusing? Or difficult?

Would you do it again? What advice would you give someone thinking about doing this with no experience?

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

I'll have to get back with you with this. I have not got to the bumpers as of yet.
I had the hardest time with the bed. But it was dark out and I had a very hard time finding the holes to get the bolts started.
As for the instructions. I used the ones that came with the kit but the BDS pictures are so mush better. They are just intimidating when you first get the kit and you thumb through them for the first time.
Tomorrow I will know about the front bumper.
I wish I would of known about the bolts for the step bars. But no big deal as when I get it back together I will pull a bolt out to see how long it is. I think I need them one inch longer.
I have an e-fan so I don't have to mess around with the fan shroud.
WileyHunter
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WileyHunter »

Don't forget to post pics for us.
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

WileyHunter wrote:Don't forget to post pics for us.
That will be hard as I can't .... I have tried and never get them to post.. There is a lot of crew cabs bl pictures here so mine looks like them...
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Jongo8 wrote:
WileyHunter wrote:Don't forget to post pics for us.
That will be hard as I can't .... I have tried and never get them to post.....
Have you tried to post them on a free website? If not then go to GOOGLE and sign up for a free gmail account. PM me when you do and I will try to walk you through posting pics when time allows.
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

Well it's almost done... I can't find the bolts for my step bars.
The hardest part was the hitch. lol.. Well it was. But it is all done but the step bars. So as soon as I can find some bolts I'll get some pictures.
I think the GMC is easier than the s10.. You don't have to cut the front bumper or drill a bracket. I don't know what they are talking about as I don't have that bracket.