15'' wheels

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

MinnesotaMudder
Crew
Crew

15'' wheels

Post by MinnesotaMudder »

I have a quick question on some wheels i found. I have a 2004 chevy s10 ZR5 with a 6'' lift kit. I found these cheap wheels and i need to know if they will work with the truck. They are a 15x8 wheel with a -20 offset, it does'nt tell me the backspacing. Will they work or should i try to figure out what the backspacing is.Also it says the hub bore is 83 is that something to be worried about. I was going to put 32x11.5 on if i got the wheels. Any help would be great Thanks.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: 15'' wheels

Post by HenryJ »

Offset is usually measured in millimeters. That means the wheel you are referring to has negative 20mm from centerline. This means the wheel moves inboard , increasing the rearspacing. 8" is pretty close to 200mm so the centerline is 100mm. Now add the negative offset and you get 120mm rearspacing or 4.75"

I think I have all that correct?

If that is indeed the case then you should be able to make them work. I think there are some Zs with less than that and an equivalent tire to what you are describing. Worst case a little trimmage front and back.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
MinnesotaMudder
Crew
Crew

Ok i have a question on negative and positive offset. I know i should know this but does negative offset stick out more or is positive offset stick out more.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Positive out more.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
MinnesotaMudder
Crew
Crew

Ok so if i get the 15x8 with the -20 offset the wheel should stick out more from the truck right. If yes that would push the wheel out 3.77in or 96mm out is that to much? I used the wheel offset calculator off of 1010tires.com and it said inner clearance 70mm or more from the inside of the wheel to the strut housing, would that be something to be worried about? Also i am probably going to stay with my 31x10.5 tires, someone told me that would be a tuff mount on the rims i am looking at will they fit or is that another thing to worry about? Sorry for all the question but i need to be sure before i buy the wheels.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

MinnesotaMudder wrote: I used the wheel offset calculator off of 1010tires.com and it said inner clearance 70mm or more from the inside of the wheel to the strut housing, would that be something to be worried about?
We don't have struts.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
MinnesotaMudder
Crew
Crew

so the wheel will work then with the tire i have now.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The reduction in rearspacing will increase the scrub radius. Check for yourself and see just how much room you have. Put a tire up on the curb and turn the wheel to the closest point. Measure the distance. Subtract the difference the new wheel will make.
I think it would be close. I can not say it WILL work. I do not have much experience with the ZR2 and their extra clearance. Buying locally and test fitting before the purchase might be the best way to go, just in case.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
MinnesotaMudder
Crew
Crew

did u mean ZR5 because i have a 2004 chevy ZR5 cc witha 6'' super lift not a ZR2.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Sorry! I confused yours with another thread! I think they might work for you. Like I said, take some measurements. A little simple math and you can tell pretty easily what will work.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
MinnesotaMudder
Crew
Crew

Ok I was looking at the BS on the wheel. Stock wheel is 6'' BS and the wheel i am looking at is 3.75 BS. If i am right that would push the wheel out 2.25'' right or will it change because i am going form a 15x7 to a 15x8 wheel.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

MinnesotaMudder wrote:Ok I was looking at the BS on the wheel. Stock wheel is 6'' BS and the wheel i am looking at is 3.75 BS. If i am right that would push the wheel out 2.25'' right or will it change because i am going form a 15x7 to a 15x8 wheel.
Add that up. 3.75" rear spacing + ? = 8"
Your wheel will be out 4.25". That is 3.25" more than stock. A little over what you would get by adding 3" spacers to the front :shock:

- ThunderII KE7CSK