When Installing Moog Lower Ball Joints

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

Jim

When Installing Moog Lower Ball Joints

Post by Jim »

After sleeping on this thought, I decided to take an awl and poke a pin hole in the boot for relief. When I put grease in the joint I found the relief hole off the shaft didn't work, the thing puffed up and bound on some sharp edges on the inside of the spindle. I replaced the last set I did 3 years ago(10,000mi), they were cheap and must have been from china because the boots tore the first week and one wouldn't take grease.
I wasn't having these cut up. Has anyone found this to be a problem also?
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Re: When Installing Moog Lower Ball Joints

Post by killian96ss »

MOOG ball joints already have the grease evac holes molded into the lower rubber boot which needs to be positioned so that they are facing inboard before bolting them in. In some cases the evac holes need to have a pin or something sharp poked through to open them up. When there is no evac hole or they are clogged up the boots just swell up like balloons when you put grease in. :blink:

Steve