Posi Frontend

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Posi Frontend

Post by Horsehammerr »

I really would like to have a Posi-trac frontend in my '02 CC. It would sure help if this could be done without going through all the hassle of an SAS conversion. Is there a way to do this ? :?:
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Posi Frontend

Post by HenryJ »

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

Well, I guess the SAS is the better way. Just have a tough time figuring out which front end to use with which suspension ? :blink: :?: 8) I don't want to be six feet in the air with semi size tires. Just the traction of front posi is my main desire. :thumb:
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

A lock rite in the front diff works fine as long as it is not heavily abused. One thing that has been proven is that the aluminum front diff is not as strong as the cast iron front diff (locker or not), so if you want a reliable locked IFS front diff try to find one of the iron diffs used in the 5 speed 4x4 S10's.

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

killian96ss wrote:A lock rite in the front diff works fine as long as it is not heavily abused.
Have you been using one? If you are tell us about it.

I had one in the rear on my old truck, It totally destroyed the dampening springs in the clutch. It did really do well offroad , but I would NOT use one again for a street-able vehicle.
If you read ALL of Jeremy's articles you will see that he is still on the quest for a dependable locked front differential. Each thing he has done has been to fix problems caused by the locked front. The frame reinforcement, the Bravada axle, Iron differential, cryoed gear set, and the list continues today. I have been following it pretty closely. I too would love a locked front. IMO, it is just not a viable option for the 7.25" front differential.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

[quote="Horsehammerr"]Well, I guess the SAS is the better way. Just have a tough time figuring out which front end to use with which suspension ? :blink: :?: 8)
Like I said. :surrender: What is the most reasonable, reliable, economical setup to go for ? Seems to be a lot of "opinion" in the search for this answer . :roll: :eyes: Can you point me to Jeremys articles ? I tried to search them and got nill. :shrug:
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

It is important to remember that everything being said is just opinions. I do not have a front locker, but I do know people who do have them and some that have had them in the past. I know 1 guy who did have a failure that was probaby caused by the lock rite, but he is also a maniac off road, so I don't know if that is a fair evaluation for a front locker. The other 3 people (1 moved away) are still using a lock rite in the front diff of their S10 with no problems, but they drive with more finesse rather than hammering up every trail. Like I said if you don't abuse it it will work just fine. We all know Jeremy abuses his rig! It would be nice if somebody made a clutch posi or gear posi for our front ends.

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

killian96ss wrote: It would be nice if somebody made a clutch posi or gear posi for our front ends.
It would for sure. I am not too sure that the carrier is just too small for one to be built.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Why haven't more people attemted to install a full size 8.2" IFS front diff? This would pair up nicely with the ZR2 8.5" rear. I know Mike did it and was at one time thinking about making a kit to do the conversion, and then nothing was ever said again about the project. :?:

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

There were a couple IFS kits in the works, but nothing ever came of them. The biggest problems is the cost. A leaf sprung axle is much cheaper and easier.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Mike has/had a 4 link kit available for the S/T series trucks. I don't know if, it is still available. It was also at the time that Mopar was selling disc to disc D44 electrically locked axles for $1,200. Man, that was a train missed when you compare something similar now and that was only 18 mos to a 2 yrs ago.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

Where is this info. on Mike ? :?:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

Thanks HJ, You really went all out on this list. I'm seeing a lot clearer now. I think the posi-trac front would be nice, but not at a SFA extreme. I'm already in route to a MML and can see that as an end result that I can be comfortable with. 8)
Miles
Crew
Crew

Post by Miles »

HenryJ wrote:TXZR2.com - Lock Right Install in Iron 7.2 Front Diff
Front Lock Right Install

Followed by things likes these:

Explain this axle break...

This specific CV axle break was due to using a non factory GM part, i.e. a brand new aftermarket CV shaft "made of cheap steel from who knows where"....quoted from a Cardone technician. I've been beating on that locked iron front diff for YEARS with the factory original CV shafts, and ZERO breakage. As soon as I replaced one of them due to a leaking boot, SNAP goes the aftermarket replacement crap.

Lesson? Stick with factory original CV's, and have them rebuilt if need be. Do NOT buy cheap aftermarket replacements or "rebuilds".

Broken Ring gear on 7.2 IFS

Steven and I BOTH broke our freshly installed Yukon 4.56 gears during the first few minutes of the ZR2 meet in Kentucky. I installed another set of Yukon 4.56's up front after my breakage, and BOOM...broke them again like toothpicks on a cheesy obstacle. Again, I beat the crud out of that locked iron front diff for YEARS with the factory 3.73's, and never once had an issue.

Lesson? Do NOT use a gear lower than a 3.73 in the front AAM 7.25" front axle. Use of the 4.10 as a viable option is debatable. The factory 3.73's stood up do everything I could throw at them. I replaced them with 4.56's to get lower gearing. Had no idea they would be that weak. I am having the factory 3.73's re-installed.

Pitman & Idler Arm

THIS.....is an area that needs to be beefed up regardless of the use of a front locker or not. If you intend to run a front locker, it is an absolute must. With everything I've done to date to rectify this common S-10 steering issue, the 1-Ton Moog "super duty" idler is holding up decently. Meaning, it lasts about 10 times as long as the factory dinky idler arm does off-road. It is not fail proof, and will still wear out due to the goofy GM design. My efforts to eliminate the problem.....have failed thus far. Improved, yes.
Just wanted to clarify a few things. I DO beat on my rig pretty hard. Very true statement! :mrgreen:
[size=75][b][color=orange][i]~Jeremy[/i][/color][/b]

[i][b][color=blue]'00 ZR2 Blazer, 33" KM2's on PA3's, Lock Right in Iron front diff/Detroit Locker in rear, sway-bar disco's, 1-Ton P & I Arms[/color][/b][/i]

[b][color=yellow]BlaZeR pics [/color][/b][url=http://photobucket.com/albums/b240/Muslhed/Best%20Blazer%20pics/][b][color=red]HERE[/color][/b][/url][/size]