Shocks

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

TUDDA
Regular
Regular

Shocks

Post by TUDDA »

looking for some good shocks.Mostly highway driver. I'd like this thing to drive as smooth as possible.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Shocks

Post by HenryJ »

If you plan to keep it five years- Search Bilstein. There is just nothing that compares.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

I got the bilsteins... the warranty is great,,, but I honestly didn't think they were night and day like told here... if i were to do it again,,, i would probably go with a the brand below bilstein.. not sure who that is... but dont skimp either.... :2:
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Bilsteins only for me!!! Multiple years of 100+ daily miles on mail route (very rough roads) and they're still working great!
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

There are lots of shocks with lifetime warranties. There are few lifetime shocks. That is the difference Bilstein brings. It is the patented design. no springs to weaken.
The HD Bilstein ride smooth as a 'caddy on the road and step up to offroad abuse amazingly.

A few others took the route of the cheaper shocks. Still a name brand. Rancho is one example. I know that they are much less expensive and still a name brand. More than one has gone this route only to replace them within in as little as a year. They wear out. I find them harsh too.
While the initial investment is hard to stomach, if the truck is a "keeper" , then skip the chase and get the good stuff to start with. It will save you wishing you had, or spending twice.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

HenryJ wrote: A few others took the route of the cheaper shocks. Still a name brand. Rancho is one example. I know that they are much less expensive and still a name brand. More than one has gone this route only to replace them within in as little as a year. They wear out. I find them harsh too.
Agreed, I Was One Of Those Guys With The Rancho's....Then Went To Bilstien's, Haven't Had My S-10 In Over A Year Now Though,

But.......

Just Finished Installing The 5100 Series Bilsteins On My Lifted Tahoe For Me They Are The Only Shock I Will Spend My Money On :D
The Crew Is Gone, Now I Have A Hoe
Serge PETIT
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Serge PETIT »

On my Blazer I have installed the Bilstein shocks and there is a hudge difference versus the stock ones .
Bilstein are really a must have !
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

I was one of the ones that went with a lifetime warranty shock first, Gabriel Ultras at Autozone. Less than a year and one shock blew out, one other rusting badly. I cut my losses and bought the bilsteins. I think its been about 2 years? Going strong, rides a little smoother but not a ton better. Best part is that I haven't had to take them off and replace them. Install and forget it.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
paintballrocker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by paintballrocker »

i just got brand new facotry replacement shocks for free. i kno i kno, its not gona be much of an upgrade, but they were free n will be better than the stock shocks with 146,000 miles on them lol
[size=75]2002 CC, westin push bar with 2 lights, bed cover, custom made cat-back exhaust.......soon a steering stabilizer mod, lift, sounds system[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

paintballrocker wrote:......... its not gona be much of an upgrade, but they were free..........
You got exactly what you paid for them. I yanked mine at 600 MILES! Start pre soaking all fasteners with Seafoam Deep Creep or PB Blaster daily for a week prior to making the switch. Personally I wouldn't go through all that trouble to put them on.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

I tried Rancho RSX and Bilsteins shocks on my 01 cc and the Bilsteins were definitely the better of the 2 brands. I wouldn't even consider any other brand!

Steve
DLP
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by DLP »

^^^ X2
[size=75][b][color=blue]2003 Blue Crewcab[/b][/color][/size]