wheel spacers

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

dougg01
Crew
Crew

wheel spacers

Post by dougg01 »

So, until or even after I do the BL and try 32/33s on new wheels, I'd like to widen the stance a little. Perhaps just adding spacers to the rear will be enough. I've heard 1.5 to 2" work in the rear for this. I have some clearance issues with the Firestone 31x10.50s on my stock rims (only rubs at near full compression with slight turn after 'some' trimming). Would some narrow spacers (< 1") make this worse or better...?

What brands spacers are you all using...? I see some on e-bay and other places, but no one I know locally uses them so I don't have any first-hand knowledge of these things. A wider track in the rear should help stability. I have no idea why GM made the rear track narrower...
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: wheel spacers

Post by HenryJ »

The track width difference is 2.1"

More than a few have used 1"-1.25" wheel adapters on the rear to even things up. Those are a good choice. Then after a bodylift the truck will not look so funny due to the Isuzu fender bulges.
If you decide to go to a MML the spacers can be moved top the front and thicker ones added to the rear. Or buy aftermarket wheels with different rear spacing and keep the ones you have on the rear.

I moved the 1.25" spacers that I had to the front of my truck after the MML. Now that I added a ZR2 rear axle I went to some 1" spacers on the rear.

Check out the sticky thread above for recommendations. The ebay seller completevalue is still selling a quality product at a very good price. The main thing is to not get stuck with a set that are made from the smaller OD billet stock. 6.5" OD stock is what you need. Hub-centric is nice if the option is there, but not a necessity, IMO.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
dougg01
Crew
Crew

Post by dougg01 »

good info. thanks.

MML...? My life is awash with TLAs (I do IT security/networks/firewalls) so this one isn't ringing a bell with me right now (it is late...).
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Sorry. MML= Marvelous Mystery Lift

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
dougg01
Crew
Crew

Post by dougg01 »

HenryJ wrote:Sorry. MML= Marvelous Mystery Lift
Okay, so what is the Marvelous Mystery Lift....? I am dumb. There, I admitted it. If only the current administraiton cronies would/could do the same (they ARE dumber than I).

Is this elusive MML something specific to the CCs or the trucks in general and not something that can be applied to the 4dr Blazer/Jimmy...? I already can't use ZR2 flares and stuff like that.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The Marvelous Mystery Lift
Here is what you need:
Performance Accessories PA192 2" body lift $209 Summit
Bilstein heavy duty shock absorbers $240 ORW
Torsion Bar adjustment and subsequent alignment $50
Boise SpringWorks Kit $190 Boise SpringWorks
Front 1.25" and rear 3" spacers $170 Ebay- Completevalue
Front replacement bump stops - GM PART # 15712438 $23 (new). These are off of the rear of late '90s and early 2000 Chevrolet fullsize pickups and can be purchased used for under $5
Skidz Cut-out Flares $375 (no longer available, however the cuts can still be made and paint or liner applied)
BFGoodrich All Terrain T/A KO 33x9.50-15 tires $560 4Wheelparts or Summit
Mount and balance $50

GRAND TOTAL = $1697
An alternative the much more costly 5"-6" suspension lifts and you get the same height tires installed.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
dougg01
Crew
Crew

Post by dougg01 »

Okay....I got the t-bar crank and shackle thing.

I know I'll eventually do the PA BL.

What are these...?
Boise SpringWorks Kit $190 Boise SpringWorks
Front 1.25" and rear 3" spacers $170 Ebay- Completevalue
I'll start looking them up as well.

I can tell I will need an add-a-leaf for the rear because it is slightly tail-down right now (looks level when not measuring).

I'd like to run 32s or 33s one day. Lots of other stuff I want to get done before then....mainly get out wheeling....
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Keep in mind that all this was compiled for a crew cab. Our fenders are different. The springs are also designed for that truck. You don't need both springs and shackles.

You may need to check out some other forums for what needs to be done on a Jimmy to clear bigger tires. I do know the cut-out flares for the four door are no longer in production.

This one may have some Jimmys? : http://www.s10extremist.org/forums/

- ThunderII KE7CSK