Bushwacker extend a flare with skid cuts?

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

kenfyoozed
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Bushwacker extend a flare with skid cuts?

Post by kenfyoozed »

Hello, I am new here. I have a bone stock '03cc that I would like to mod with flares and the MML. While researching, i saw one member had done the skid flare cuts to his stock fender flares. Would anyone think this could be possible with the Bushwacker fenders? I know it may take a little body work to look good, but is this an option? Or am I just wishfull thinking?

Also, I know the site was donwn for a while, but where is the gallery? And why are a lot of pics in the forums showing up as only the dreaded red X?
Thanks
Neil
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Bushwacker extend a flare with skid cuts?

Post by HenryJ »

The photos from the old server are lost. We did not get them in time.

The Bushwacker flares are pretty thin. I am not sure it would work very well to cut and alter them. They are already too small to fit the stock opening and need to stretch just for that. Personally I think this attempt would be futile.

If you want to try a set to modify, perhaps the 97 F150 flares? I have seen them modded to fit a Jeep and that worked well. It would be a better shot than trying the S-10 flares ,IMO.

Doing the cuts with no flares is very "do-able". It looks great too! I think that would be my choice of a good way to go.

If I had an old set of flares lying around I don't think I would be cutting them up to try to fit them. I did have a set and they are gone now or I would offer them up.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
kenfyoozed
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by kenfyoozed »

Hj, thanks.

The f150 flares would this be all 4? Also is there something special about the 97 year? I have a 2000 expedition i could take measurenents off.

Neil
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I'm not an expert on Ford body style changes. The 97 model year for the F150 has a similar profile and tire openings that will accommodate a 35" tire without cutouts. Those are the only examples I have seen.

I don't know enough to know if both front and rear would be options. The front might require cutting and capping for the bottom of the front to line up above the bumper. Both would require profiling. I would look at the extend-a-fender flares. The pocket cut-out flares the Jeep used might not work very well.

Keep i9n mind that these would likely be very big flares. It might look like Dumbo with out 12" wide or wider tires. Then you are pushing the limits of the IFS. That puts you in SFA territory.

One mod begets another, and the snowball starts rolling...

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

I have done the cuts without the flares and you can't tell...
2002 GMC Sonoma crew cab 4x4. Tb mod, Air box mod, pre cat delete,B&M shift improver, Trans cooler, Big three ,AD-244 alt,Red top Optima, e-fan, HD Radaitor,265/70-16' on 16x8 TA wheels,, t-bar tweek, 1.5 inch shackles and 2 inch body lift,Skids fender trim, 1.5 inch wheel spacers in front and 2.5 in back, Quad mod and Frog lights.
Transfercase vacuum switch change DO IT!!!
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Jongo88 wrote:I have done the cuts without the flares and you can't tell...
I saw another members truck not too long ago. His looked awesome flareless with the cuts.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
kenfyoozed
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by kenfyoozed »

Got pics?

My crew has the small stock fender flare on the rear. I wouldnt mind modding those but i want some that are black .

I wouldnt mind the challenge of the bushwacker flares. When you speak of the thinness? Are you speaking off the actual material thickness, or what?

I know you said these flares were tighter than our wheel openings, but what if they were cut and stretched? Im pretty familiar with epoxy and fiberglass. I have built several canoes.

just looking for ideas.
33's are as big as i would go.
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

I have pictures but never could figure out how to post them on this site. Sorry.
2002 GMC Sonoma crew cab 4x4. Tb mod, Air box mod, pre cat delete,B&M shift improver, Trans cooler, Big three ,AD-244 alt,Red top Optima, e-fan, HD Radaitor,265/70-16' on 16x8 TA wheels,, t-bar tweek, 1.5 inch shackles and 2 inch body lift,Skids fender trim, 1.5 inch wheel spacers in front and 2.5 in back, Quad mod and Frog lights.
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

kenfyoozed
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by kenfyoozed »

jongo88, did you do the skid cuts on the rear as well?
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

I did just the front. With 31 10.50's I have no problems on the back...
kenfyoozed
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by kenfyoozed »

Thanks, i was looking at running the 33x9.5. so the back would need to be done as well.
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

I can't run any bigger tires as I pull a bass boat and it would kill my gear. I like to run 75 to 80 mph. I have 373's....
kenfyoozed
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by kenfyoozed »

Jongo how did you secure the cuts? Did you paint your truck after?
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

I have one pop rivit at the bottom and body seam glue to seal it. I used tuch up paint just for the cut part. I used a body saw for the out side and a saw zal for the inside.