Wider wheels hitting fenders...

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Wider wheels hitting fenders...

Post by ApproachMedium »

Okay so I got a set of new wheels for my crew, finally had them put on two weeks ago and now I'm finally here to report about the instant problem they caused, rubbing into my fenders. I bought them online and they were probably the only style in the 15 inch size that I liked. I had to buy 15 inch wheels to replace the previous aftermarket wheels I had, and since I had bought new tires 3 months ago I wasnt going to do a wheel and tire package. When I got the new tires was when I found out my previous wheels werent so round anymore. Great!

So the new wheels, for our S10 lug pattern, only came in 8 or 10 inch wide. I knew I wasnt doing 10 inch... So 8 it was. They only had one option for offsets so I just went with it figuring if JC Whitney says it should fit my truck, it should! (yea right). Now with them installed they look great, and will look better when I can find fender flares that dont cost $350 a piece.

So the problem I have is when I turn the wheel the tires rub into the fenders. After using a cutoff wheel and taking a small section off the bottom of the drivers side fender it only rubs now if the wheel moves up and down while turned far to the left. I also had to remove two bolts, one on each side. The only thing I had to do to the PS side was bang in the bottom of the fender with a hammer a bit and that cleared things up completely for the PS side. It seems though as my drivers side wheel is sitting further back than the PS side one? Is that possable? I know my alignment is good as it was done twice in the past 6 months. Once for normal maintance and again after replacement of an idler arm. Is it possable that my torsen bars arent adjusted correctly? Could these be adjusted to allow for the truck to sit a bit higher on the drivers side so the rubbing will stop?
Knowledge has no value unless its shared with others.
Exploration Machine- 02' CC V8 swap. 300K+
Portable Roller Coaster- 07' MKV VW GTI
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: Wider wheels hitting fenders...

Post by Jongo88 »

I wish you would asked before you cut up and hammerd your finders. Now it is to late to help you on the neat way to do it. What size tires do you have and what is the back space on your new wheels.
2002 GMC Sonoma crew cab 4x4. Tb mod, Air box mod, pre cat delete,B&M shift improver, Trans cooler, Big three ,AD-244 alt,Red top Optima, e-fan, HD Radaitor,265/70-16' on 16x8 TA wheels,, t-bar tweek, 1.5 inch shackles and 2 inch body lift,Skids fender trim, 1.5 inch wheel spacers in front and 2.5 in back, Quad mod and Frog lights.
Transfercase vacuum switch change DO IT!!!
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

Unfortunatly it was the only way to get the truck home that day, so I did what I had to do. The part I cut off and hammered are on the lower section, we only cut off maybe a quarter inch or half inch of metal on the underside, figuring that larger fender flares might cover it up. Nobody can notice it when looking at the truck but if you walk up to it you can see they been mashed with the hammer. :(

The data on the wheels is 15"x8" 5x4.75 -27mm 3.5" 83.8mm Tires are stock size 235-70 R15
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

ApproachMedium wrote:Unfortunatly it was the only way to get the truck home that day, so I did what I had to do. The part I cut off and hammered are on the lower section, we only cut off maybe a quarter inch or half inch of metal on the underside, figuring that larger fender flares might cover it up. Nobody can notice it when looking at the truck but if you walk up to it you can see they been mashed with the hammer. :(

The data on the wheels is 15"x8" 5x4.75 -27mm 3.5" 83.8mm Tires are stock size 235-70 R15
The stock size was 235-75-15. The stock wheels have a six inch back space.
The best way to clear them is doing the skids cutouts. When done right you can't tell they have been cut. But I don't know without seein your cuts, I have no way to tell if you can still do them right.
Last edited by Jongo88 on Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
2002 GMC Sonoma crew cab 4x4. Tb mod, Air box mod, pre cat delete,B&M shift improver, Trans cooler, Big three ,AD-244 alt,Red top Optima, e-fan, HD Radaitor,265/70-16' on 16x8 TA wheels,, t-bar tweek, 1.5 inch shackles and 2 inch body lift,Skids fender trim, 1.5 inch wheel spacers in front and 2.5 in back, Quad mod and Frog lights.
Transfercase vacuum switch change DO IT!!!
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

Well right now it is dark, and even with my SLR camera it would be best to take photos during the day as lighting here is horrible. I will take photos tomorrow. What are skids cutouts? Is there a diagram etc for that?
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

OK just ran out and looked they are 235 75 tires. Sorry about that. The -27mm is the offset of the new wheels.
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

So heres what it looks like with the "damage" that I have done

Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
paintballrocker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by paintballrocker »

data on the wheels is 15"x8" 5x4.75 -27mm 3.5"
your problem is the negitive offset and the 3.5" of back spacing, like said earlier the stock size is 6" of backspacing. the only way to get rid of the rubbing is to either lift it or cut alot of the fender/wheel well
[size=75]2002 CC, westin push bar with 2 lights, bed cover, custom made cat-back exhaust.......soon a steering stabilizer mod, lift, sounds system[/size]
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

OK well the passenger side isnt rubbing. Could I adjust my torsen springs to compensate for that on the drivers side? When the truck is on a lift the passenger side tire appears to be up a bit higher, and when its on the ground the passenger side tire doesnt stick out as far as the drivers side as noted by the tread showing less.
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

Just an update here... Talking to my boss the other day and looking at how my tires are sitting on the truck we determined that I may have a good case of frame damage here. One weekend soon we will get it up on the frame machine and see how it sits, hopefully once its set straight that will eliminate some of my issues here!
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

Turn the wheel inside out and you'll gain an inch of backspace. It won't be perfect but it'll be better than you've got now and maybe get you by until you figure out a better solution. Good Luck.
[size=67][i]"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."[/i][/size]