Goodyear Wrangler Authority at WalMart

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

Old_MXer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Goodyear Wrangler Authority at WalMart

Post by Old_MXer »

I was at my local WalMart and they had a tire there that caught my eye. It was a Goodyear Wrangler Authority A/T. The tread design seems pretty aggressive for an A/T, and I also like the looks of the side lugs. The price point on them also grabbed me, they had 31x10.50x15 for $139. I did some searching on the net for opinions and reviews and found both good and bad. The good ones seemed to come from people who actually had the tires, and the bad ones came from the people who said they would never buy a tire from WalMart because they are junk. I respect the opinions of the people on this site and hope to get some good feedback. I know I am going to get flamed on this, but do you guys think these would fit my truck? (2004 ZR5 with Boise springs, TB crank, soon to be BL). Do you think I would need spacers with the stock ZR5 wheels. I have searched and read all that I can about tire fitment on this site, just looking for an opinion. Thanks in advance for any info.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Re: Goodyear Wrangler Authority at WalMart

Post by F9K9 »

I saw some good reviews on some sites. Walmart is big enough that they got a special model for them alone. I wouldn't be afraid to run them in 31x10.50s.

Now you need to exercise your search talents (and or develop them) and check out what is needed to run them. OEM wheels are your easiest route. Adding spacers to the rear to even your stance will not cause rubbing,.

HTH
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Old_MXer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Old_MXer »

Thanks for your thoughts on the tires, I can't imagine Goodyear putting their name on a substandard tire. After reading all of the various posts about tire fitment, I know in theory they should fit. I was just looking for a little extra assurance to make me feel all warm and fuzzy before I pulled the trigger on them. I am trying to stay away from trimming the fenders if at all possible. Thanks again for all of the help I get from this site.
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

They look like a knockoff of the Duratrac AT that's available everywhere.
Duratrac

Authority
[size=75]I didn't do it, it was already like that when I got it.[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Old_MXer wrote:.......................I am trying to stay away from trimming the fenders if at all possible................
Minor trimming with a dremel, sawzall or using a BFH. You're gonna do it eventually. :lol: Might as well jump in with both feet.

[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Old_MXer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Old_MXer »

:shock: I was under the impression that I could get away with 31x10.50's without trimming. Maybe I would be better off with 30x9.50's instead. I don't wheel this truck, I just want it to look more like a truck. I call it my El Camino! I want a more aggressive tread for when I go hunting (I've got the stock GY Wrangler RT/S on it now and last year I got stuck on the flat ground when it wasn't even hardly muddy). I know, put down the purse, man up, and cut that thing!
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Very minor trimming with a TB crank and you will be okay. I didn't mean to alarm you. You have to understand that you are getting advice from someone that was afraid of bending up the lower lip of the rear of a front fender well six yrs ago. :mrgreen: Now, I have no qualms to taking a 3 inch hole saw to a firewall.
MinnesotaMudder
Crew
Crew

Post by MinnesotaMudder »

As a Walmart employee I have found out that the Authority tires are a walmart brand only. Walmart pays Goodyear to make the tire for them. I now a couple of people that run that tire and they say its a good tire in all kinds of terrain, but the downfall was they wear a little quicker then they wanted. Walmart also carries the Duratrac's for more money but they are a better tire. i run the duratrac's on my CC and I have had no problem with them.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

With the 2" body lift you can "just" run a small 31x10.5 tire on the stock wheels. It will require massaging the fender lip at the bottom.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

With a 2" BL & 1" t-bar crank I was able to run 31x10.5 Goodyear MT/R's with only minor rubbing @ full lock on my 01 cc. This is with stock wheels & sway bar disconnected. I did cut off the sharp corner @ the bottom of the fender so that the tire didn't get cut when turned all the way. Without the 2" BL you would need to trim for 31's.

Steve
riceburnr2005
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by riceburnr2005 »

just ordered a set of authorities the other day from walmart. ran me 688 after 50 bucks of tax. also ordered a set of crager soft 8's from summit.
U.S. Marines
2003 CC LS, indigo blue, Spectre Cold Air, OBX throttle body spacer, descreened MAF, hunter bull bar, BAJA off road lights, 15x7 Crager soft 8 wheels, 31x10.50x15 Goodyear Wrangler Authority tires, cranked TB's, Daystar 2 inch shackles, 2" PA body lift, 1.5 inch spacers in the rear, Access TonnoSport Tonneau cover, reese hitch, carbon fiber front chevy badge, Lund bug deflector, roof rack from a blazer, Kenwood CD player, JVC 6 1/2 speakers.