Need help raising stock ZR5 nerf bars

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

Old_MXer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Need help raising stock ZR5 nerf bars

Post by Old_MXer »

I am just finishing up installing a 2" bl on my truck and am getting ready to lift the nerf bars. Any tips or pictures on the best way to do this? I have been searching, but everything I have found must be on the old site or too old because all I get are network errors. Any tips would be great, also any pictures would be great too so that I can form a game plan. Thanks
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Re: Need help raising stock ZR5 nerf bars

Post by fallvitals »

Thought I had pictures but I don't. From what I recall you will be using one less stud per bracket. It's still plenty strong. I cut the unused studs off with a saw saw flush with the frame. Basically just measure the holes two inches higher and go for it. Maybe not a full two? I can't recall offhand why I'm thinking that? But I do remember having to trim a couple brackets to fit a high spot on the frame.

I did mine with a drill press and 5/8" bit. It took a LONG time to drill all those holes, plus the bracket wouldn't easily fit onto the vice... Had to get creative. If I were to do it over again I think I would mark and punch the holes, and have a machine shop drill em. It took me forever.

Plus the emergency brake cable needs to be removed and holes drilled in the bracket for it to run through. I'll try and post pics of mine tommorow.
Old_MXer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Old_MXer »

Thanks Fallvitals, I have been following your CC build from the start and you seem to know what you are doing. By the way, your truck looks great. I wish I could talk myself into cutting the fenders so that I could fit 33's, but I can't convince myself (or my wife). Pictures would be a big help if possible, I couldn't thank you enough if you were able to post some. Do you think the bars are as sturdy as before? I don't use them, but would want them to be able to be used if need be. Thanks again.
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Man I forgot the pictures today... Hopefully I'll remember tommorow. They are very sturdy I stand on em to wash/wax the roof.

Thanks for the compliments.
Old_MXer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Old_MXer »

No rush on the pics. It is going to be a little while before I get to them anyhow. Too many things going on as always. I just need to get them done before bow season starts or they will be on hold until the begining of February! :rock: This is always a bad time of year for me, excited about bow season coming :D , but realizing with bow season comes winter :(
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

I heard that, I haven't even shot my bow since may. Nor gotten a new dozen arrows and cut/squared/fletched yet... I need to do that soon!

You know... I don't care about having step bars, but I think seeing all that frame exposed after a body lift is awful. They do a good job to hide that.

One thing to watch out for once thy are lifted is your shoe catches the plastic step part of the bar. Iv nearly torn mine off from doing that so much. I think some self tapping screws would fix it though... Or prevent it if you wanna not have my problem, lol.
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Thats the drivers side, from the front to the back. Passanger side is the same iirc, except no annoying brake cable to deal with. Sorry for the mud, lol. I dont think I raised mine a full 2" some reasoning I had, I dont recall why now,, afraid to be too close to the body maybe? But I could came up another 1/2".... maybe there was a good reason I didnt? Or maybe I did the 2" and though after I coulda gone more? lol I cant even recall now.
Old_MXer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Old_MXer »

Thanks for the photos Fallvitals. It helps to bring it together in my mind. The emergency brake cable does look like a pain. Now I just need to find the time to do it! How hard was it to trim the bar mounts to fit around the body mount brackets?
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Probably the easiest part, lol. A skill saw made short work of it.

While it was all apart I hit the frame with a pressure washer then sprayed it with undercoating pretty thick. Can't tell now but might be worth doing?