Getting closer to some mild wheeling in the Jimmy...some ???

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

dougg01
Crew
Crew

Getting closer to some mild wheeling in the Jimmy...some ???

Post by dougg01 »

Well, if anyone remembers, I'm trying to do some mild wheeling in my 2000 4dr Jimmy.

I've been doing some of the usual stuff -
1.5" crank
Shackles
31x10.50 Firestone ATs
front sway bar disconnect
dynomax cat back

I just finished putting the Torsen in the rear last night.
I've got hook points done.

Still need a front skid plate (the one forward of the diff)
Still need a recovery strap.
I want to get a better portable compressor (but not onboard air).

I did ditch the rear sway bar finally so I could fit the spare under the truck. This is my DD, not a rock-krawler. One day I might get the swing-out tire rack, but other priorities need met first. When I wheel....the spare will go on the roof.

I plan to make some sliders eventually just so I don't rip everything up going over edges. Might get some lights.

First wheeling trip might be to the Dirty Turtle near Bedford KY. Some mud....dirt...not many small rocks. If it gets more extreme than our yard (which I wheel on regularly) then it might not happen. It IS an IFS truck...duh.

I did notice so many have left the S-series wheeling camp for other makes..... I have no plans as such, even if/when more funds become available.

Other than some frame rub (which I will fix with wheels later), I don't see a problem with mine for the obstacles I plan to conquer. The biggest thing keeping me from trying more was a lack of a LSD and now....that's fixed. We had a big rain Sat night....my test of it last night was going to the bottom of the hill (silty, soft soil) that would have the truck struggling to get out of spinning one in front and rear. The thing almost came out of it in 2wd. Awesome.....not a krawler, but works good for my purpose.

What do you all think of adding a 8.5 donor diff and going with an SFA kit...? What about the BDS IFS kit and the 8.5 rear...? I don't plan to run 33s and don't plan to add a body lift. I just want clearance for the tires I got and to get rid of the TB crank. This stress the CVs and if they were at stock angles should live longer. At < $100 the axles are not hard to do. All my junk is new as of April/May.

My other ??? is that my rear springs seem to be a bit weak. I don't really want more lift on them right now, but they need a bit more rate. If I put my boys in it and one of our two Danes in the back the thing squats. Helper springs...?

I'll try to attack the climbing rock in the front yard to see if I get further up with the locker and get a picture.
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Re: Getting closer to some mild wheeling in the Jimmy...some

Post by fallvitals »

After everything iv done to mine and the mild mild wheeling iv done I think I'd rather build a purpose heep for that. Maybe later I will. But now I want a atv to go wheeling in.

But maybe where I'm having 4wd problems I haven't had a true taste of what it can do, and I'm not sure how long iv had em. But our weak link diffidently is the ifs. And I would like to see a locker upfront as well. If I had a big pocket a sfa conversion would be niiiice. But I'm a very jr member here, others can give much better ideas. I think I might just secretly be afraid to damage my vehicle since it's my only ride so I don't wanna be hard on it/loose it to the mud, lol.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

You mentioned "Dirty Turtle". How about taking the time to fill out your profile. Several members in one of my clubs wheels there but, I haven't yet.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
dougg01
Crew
Crew

Post by dougg01 »

Done. I'm on KY Krawlers too. Been working on the Jimmy since I got it.

I know there are a few here that have SFA swaps... In the end I'm looking to know the ballpark at what it ran you.

Not certain I'd go that way, but I am from the unconventional field and going the heap way (though I really like them) might be a bit far for me. Same for Zuk, toys, etc. AMC Eagle...now that'd be cool. Early Willys panel or something...good. Just different. Growing the Jimmy into a capable ride over some years appeals to me. I have an LT1 car because I'm not going to be a lemming and go LSx like everyones else. Like tats and earrings....once they were showing you were different and now it looks like everyone else. :)
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

dougg01 wrote:... I am from the unconventional field ...
How unconventional?

Maybe a HenryJ?

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

dougg01 wrote:...........I know there are a few here that have SFA swaps... In the end I'm looking to know the ballpark at what it ran you............
I haven't done it yet and I even found a HP Dana 44 and a Ford 9 under a '78 Ford truck here locally for $300 but, didn't snatch them up. I'm guessing with the gearing, rebuild kits, lockers, springs..etc you are looking at 5K minimum.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

Check out S10Extremist.org , there are a million answers to SFA on that site.
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
dougg01
Crew
Crew

Post by dougg01 »

As I like the unconventional - out of the ordinary - somewhat different - I do like TASTE.

This isn't horrible, but it seems to be a poor way to treat a Henry IMHO. There was a tread on a board not long ago that showed a bunch of class 6 sedans and such. El Caminos, Larry's 55, James Garner's resurrected Cutlass, and the like. There was even a 260z and some other wild stuff. I think I'd have to draw the line at a real-steel willys or 34 tudor being used in this manner. If'n its 'glass ----- Go for it. I'd love to see someone do a 'glass duece crawler. Must have zoomies or something of the like.

HenryJ wrote:
dougg01 wrote:... I am from the unconventional field ...
How unconventional?

Maybe a HenryJ?
dougg01
Crew
Crew

Post by dougg01 »

F9K9 wrote:
dougg01 wrote:...........I know there are a few here that have SFA swaps... In the end I'm looking to know the ballpark at what it ran you............
I haven't done it yet and I even found a HP Dana 44 and a Ford 9 under a '78 Ford truck here locally for $300 but, didn't snatch them up. I'm guessing with the gearing, rebuild kits, lockers, springs..etc you are looking at 5K minimum.
It all depends on sourcing parts. I have other priorities first. Also, I even when built I don't want a 7,000lb rig. I want it actually to get lighter (a glass hood is in the near future).

I see a 8.5" rear coming along when finances allow. Perhaps a 5" lift to replace the torsion bar crank. That might hold me over for a couple years. I don't plan to run more than 32s on it in this configuration. I will swap to 3.73s when I do. The 3.42s now with the 31s have the truck lumbering along out of its best efficiency range.

Then maybe I'll look into that new kit shown in 4WOR. Source parts as I find them. I see no need for me to go over 33s as this will still be my daily-driver. 3.73s....maybe a front locker....maybe not. With a SFA it would be 2x easier to slip a small-block in without many driveline clearance issues. Of course, should money fall from the sky before then.....I'd start getting stuff for the SFA and skip the 5" thing entirely.