35" Tires At Any Lift Height

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

14x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

35" Tires At Any Lift Height

Post by 14x4 »

Is this possible with our trucks? I'm guessing there has to be some flaw or else we would have seen people doing this already.

http://www.trailslesstraveled.com/artic ... ft-height/

Is our stock IFS and rear axle too weak to support 35's?

Thoughts?
03 ZR5. 4-Linked Dana 44
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: 35" Tires At Any Lift Height

Post by HenryJ »

14x4 wrote:Is our stock IFS and rear axle too weak to support 35's?
Yes.
35" tires are possible with some cutting and solid axles. 33" tires are a more reasonable solution though.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:
14x4 wrote:Is our stock IFS and rear axle too weak to support 35's?
Yes.
35" tires are possible with some cutting and solid axles. 33" tires are a more reasonable solution though.
35s are hard on Dana 44s and Ford 9s if, you don't use common sense utilizing the skinny pedal without expensive upgrades. A bunch of the crowd that went bigger than 33s are coming back down to the size. It's all about finesse and choosing the right lines over an obstacle.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
johnsont
Regular
Regular

Post by johnsont »

so if i we where to go with 35s what type of gears or rear end on the crew cab should be used
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

johnsont wrote:so if i we where to go with 35s what type of gears or rear end on the crew cab should be used
For what goal? It would not resemble a CC with 35s. You would have to do a stretch to get them out of the firewall on the front end and it would have to be a solid axle, like a high pinion Dana 44 with upgraded axles. A ford 9" would work for the rear if, you kept off of the skinny pedal. As for gears, you need 4.88s or 5.13s and I don't even know if, those sizes are compatible with the Ford 9.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
johnsont
Regular
Regular

Post by johnsont »

idk my friend runs 35s with his stock gearing an has no problems...
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

4.56 to 4.88 will be close to the gearing offered for the optional stock ratio 3.73. Compensating for the increased rotational load you might want to go a little deeper. I think that is why the 5.13 ratio look attractive.

Keep in mind that once modifications of this scale are undertaken, the daily driver functionality becomes second to offroad performance. That is where a little lower gear shines.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
johnsont
Regular
Regular

Post by johnsont »

probly just go with the 4.56 gears there not to exspensive an seem like it would be a good investment lol
michaelhrgn
Crew
Crew

Post by michaelhrgn »

4.56s are the deepest gears you can get for a chevy 7.6 ten bolt
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

michaelhrgn ? What happen to rabbit ?
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
michaelhrgn
Crew
Crew

Post by michaelhrgn »

thats my real name that i singed up with on hear when i very first got my cc