Mild Hopping *solved (mud)

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Mild Hopping *solved (mud)

Post by Horsehammerr »

I'll try to explain this the best I can. When I start out driving, the ride seems smooth and true but , as I keep going I notice a slight bumping or hopping feel in my whole truck. There is no noticeable feeling in the steering wheel straight line or turning. It does speed up and slow down with my speed. Nothing in the brakes or trans. that I can feel. I did spin check my tires mounted on my truck and could not find any distortion. Any ideas what to look at ?? :blink:
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Re: Mild Hopping

Post by killian96ss »

Sounds like an out of round tire to me. Balancing is not enough to fix the problem. Remounting the tire 180 degrees and rebalancing it sometimes helps. If a tire has a high spot, some shops can shave it off and rebalance the tire. Sometimes replacement is the only fix. The fun part is figuring out which tire is the culprit.

Is your driveshaft ok?

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Rotate the tires and see if it changes?

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

I set my truck up with all four wheels safe off the ground. Started engine , set four wheel drive and let it run in gear. All four turning with cruise set at 40 mph. I could not see any distortion, out of round or out of line. I then did diagonal rotation. First drive felt like it was fixed, but after a little while I could feel it hopping again. I will inspect the drive shaft next.
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
rlrnr53
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by rlrnr53 »

It may be possible that you have a belt broken in a tire. Its something that doesn't happen often, but it does happen. I once replaced a wheel only to find out that the belt had broken in a tire that only had about 2000 miles on it.
[size=75]Mitch
2001 Polo Green Metallic, no mods,(can't afford any)[/size]
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

I have to concur with rlnr. Many times a broken belt in a tire will not show up till the tire is run loaded. Seems like sometimes they have to warm up to shake.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
AMBULLDOG2002
Regular
Regular

Post by AMBULLDOG2002 »

I just happened to run accross your post and thought I should say That I had the same exact problem with my CC right after I turned my torsion bars up all the way in the front. I rotated the tires and lowered it back down a bit and it seemed to correct the problems. Not sure but I thing the stiff front suspension had something to do with it. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Hope it helps.
thanks.
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

I just fixed some mild hopping in my crew the other day. Uneven mud buildup in the wheels. Nice and smooth again.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

roadrunner wrote:I just fixed some mild hopping in my crew the other day. Uneven mud buildup in the wheels. Nice and smooth again.
Amazing ! That same thought crossed my mind Wednesday. The first idea was to switch to my spare one wheel at a time, in search of a bad tire. When I pulled the front left and laid it down , my eye caught this layer of mud and crude on the inside of the wheel. Pulled and cleaned each one and wow ,what a difference. :roflmao: 8)