Steel wheels Vs. Alloy wheels

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

MinnesotaMudder
Crew
Crew

Steel wheels Vs. Alloy wheels

Post by MinnesotaMudder »

Which is better steel or alloy wheels? I have read positive and negitive things about both What do you guys think. If you have any suggestions on a wheel let me know.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Steel wheels Vs. Alloy wheels

Post by HenryJ »

What are you doing with them? Each has its place. Aluminum is lighter and stronger. It can be broken. Steel can be bent back in place.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
MinnesotaMudder
Crew
Crew

Post by MinnesotaMudder »

it is going to be a mix of highway and offroad no rock climbing just mud at the most.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I like aluminum wheels. Less rotating mass. Easier to get rolling. If you rock crawl steel has the advantage.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:.................If you rock crawl steel has the advantage.
Sounds like debate territory there but, don't want to start one. A most of the pros run aluminum beadlocks and that is where I will go eventually but, steel ones are cheaper.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

All depends on your purpose and your prevailing WEATHER conditions. I have great difficulty with the stock five spoke aluminum where I run. They tend to build up inside worse with mud and frozen crud in the winter running for me. Before I put 1" spacers on the rear I had lots of trouble with destruction of brake slide pin boots which in turn led to rusted and seized calipers and brake troubles. Since adding the spacers which also make the front and rear track in the same path the wheels are spaced out far enough to have build-up clear the boots saving many headaches. My .02 worth.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.