Anyone used Rough country's setup??

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

clontz_wi64

Anyone used Rough country's setup??

Post by clontz_wi64 »

http://roughcountry.com/chevy_4wd_s10.html

come across this, i ordered a set of 31x10.50s goodyear authority's

and want a lift sooooo would this be a pretty good set up for my truck?? i really don't want to do a junky body lift and screw with my bumper gaps, hitch gap and my bull bar mounts
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Anyone used Rough country's setup??

Post by HenryJ »

That is just a torsion bar crank. The new keys crank farther than would be otherwise possible. The upper a-arms are longer so that it can be aligned. They also correct the upper ball joint angle.
They do not address the problem created in the lower ball joint binding, or the harsh angle of the CV joints. The boots will fail along with the lower ball joints.
Due to the angle of the lower a-arms the ride is going to be harsh. The farther they are from 90 degrees the less leverage applied to the torsion spring. That equals a harder ride.

My suggestion is not to do it.

I am sorry that you are negative about a 2" body lift. It has many more benefits in this application. There are no "bumper gaps" the brackets are included to raise the bumpers. Wait until you have to service the sparkplugs without a body lift. Not fun. Same for the distributor cap. The extra clearance improves the airflow through the engine compartment and access to the transmission. The list of benefits far outweighs anything else. I see no negatives.
Bars and hitches are easily raised and have been.

If you want a lift, adjust the torsion bars to the max Z height and add shackles or springs to the rear. if that is not enough a body lift is the only next step. Beyond that the 6" Superlift, or an SAS conversion.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
riceburnr2005
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by riceburnr2005 »

+1 on what henry said. I used to be negative about body lifts too, but the more and more i read about them on this site i changed my mind. i will be picking up a 2" BL from peformance accessories here pretty soon. do a search for the rough country lift on here, theres plenty of information on why not to get that lift... I believe rough country themselves even told customers who try to buy that lift to not to get it because of the allignment problems and cv angles that come along with it..
U.S. Marines
2003 CC LS, indigo blue, Spectre Cold Air, OBX throttle body spacer, descreened MAF, hunter bull bar, BAJA off road lights, 15x7 Crager soft 8 wheels, 31x10.50x15 Goodyear Wrangler Authority tires, cranked TB's, Daystar 2 inch shackles, 2" PA body lift, 1.5 inch spacers in the rear, Access TonnoSport Tonneau cover, reese hitch, carbon fiber front chevy badge, Lund bug deflector, roof rack from a blazer, Kenwood CD player, JVC 6 1/2 speakers.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

There is a good buy on a body lift in our classifieds.

The bad rap body lifts got came from the really tall blocks and those made of aluminum. The poly blocks and smaller blocks solve most of those problems.
you will have fender gap on the rear. $10 and a trip to Homedepot will solve that. If you have some thin belting around you can do it for less. Sidebars help the look of the exposed frame on the sides.

Keys have their place. If you run a plow or a big bumper and winch on the front, sometimes there is just not enough adjustment to attain the correct Z height. That is where different keys can help.

One thing that can help up front is the fullsize front bump stops. Well worth $20 Those will help keep the nose up too. I like those lots.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
clontz_wi64

Post by clontz_wi64 »

alright sounds like a plan, getting GY authorities tommarrow..... has anyone used them on here they look pretty good hope they suit me well.

where is best price place to buy me a 2" body lift for my zr5?? and also someone give me a place to buy my shackle wanting a 2" lift for rear because i do have a new trailer i bought from tractor supply i use on weekend hauling my 4 wheeler

my shop will be doing my alignment next week too, so I will be posting pics throughout
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

If you want to pull a trailer, don't do the shackles! Pulling a trailer they tend to pull the rear axle side to side enough that the drive shaft will actually rub the fuel tank shield.
Look for springs. The Boise SpringWorks kit is fantastic, but spendy. Look for a local spring shop and take them the directions from my website. Any shop should be able to build the kit.
Barring that you could do an add a leaf or some of the other leaf assists. Not as desireable, but might work in a pinch.

There is one body lift for sale in the classifieds at a very good price. other than that shop around for the best price and be prepared to find missing parts. Don't tear things down before a good inventory. Most kits end up with too many or not enough parts. That alone might make ordering it locally an advantage. Read up on the installs that have been done. Download the manual and read it thoroughly. Both manuals will be helpful.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
riceburnr2005
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by riceburnr2005 »

i actually had a problem with my fuel tank shield coming loose and sitting on the drive shaft...its the most embarrassing noise ever going down the road..fixed that last week with a clothes hanger..haha
U.S. Marines
2003 CC LS, indigo blue, Spectre Cold Air, OBX throttle body spacer, descreened MAF, hunter bull bar, BAJA off road lights, 15x7 Crager soft 8 wheels, 31x10.50x15 Goodyear Wrangler Authority tires, cranked TB's, Daystar 2 inch shackles, 2" PA body lift, 1.5 inch spacers in the rear, Access TonnoSport Tonneau cover, reese hitch, carbon fiber front chevy badge, Lund bug deflector, roof rack from a blazer, Kenwood CD player, JVC 6 1/2 speakers.