2" lift with 33's

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

jsmcnabb6s

2" lift with 33's

Post by jsmcnabb6s »

I have read many of the topics in this forum, and found a lot of useful information. Before i get started i would like to say that based on what i am about to say and ask i will probibly get responsis that its not practical or even doable. My truck is mostly used to go to work and back home, occasionaly i go offroad or go play but its mostly just a every day driver that i use maybe 3 times a week (i have a work vehicle so i dont put many miles on my truck)

I am putting 2in extension torsion keys, and 2in lift shackles on my truck, my buddy gave me some 33" tires still in good condition, i went to the local tire shop (who is a friend of mine) we put the tire on my spare then started playing around. Surprisingly they fit, well sitting on the ground with no suspension travel, but they went on. Right now its stock we put the used 33's on there and its apparent that the 2" lift or more is needed, there is barely any room for suspension travel in the rear, When we put it on the front naturally that tire stopped on the frame when turning and the front air dam needs to be trimmed. i don't use my truck for much off road i just want the stance, appearance and some functionality when needed.

My question is, when i get my 2" installed what size wheel spacers will i need? my friend at the tire shop said 1" should do it to get the clearance needed.(i plan on putting front and rear spacers with the rear 1" wider to help even it out a little")

Also will putting the spacers on put a strain on my axles or any other components of my truck causing more ware and tare?
sonomadude4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: 2" lift with 33's

Post by sonomadude4x4 »

i wouldnt go with the torsion keys . do a search on here for them from what ive read is that they tear the front end up after a short time not a good idea in my opinion . look up the MML its a 2 inch body lift and finder cuts and u can run front and rear spacers for the wide stance.. u can run 33's with that set up
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The stock keys will already max out the Z height. I'd pass on the keys.
33" will not be an option with less than the MML. Best you can hope for is 31" if you don't make the cuts. Even then you will need the BL.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:The stock keys will already max out the Z height. I'd pass on the keys.
33" will not be an option with less than the MML. Best you can hope for is 31" if you don't make the cuts. Even then you will need the BL.
Sad but, true.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

I run 1.5" spacers up front with 30x9.5s I wouldn't go less than that with stock wheels. Seems to fit right. Get larger ones for the rear, I have 2" to line mine up. What width tires are the 33"? I have 30's with no trimming and 2" lift. I have noticed no extra wear on components other than since cranking the torsion bars I have gone through ball joints like mad. You added keys, that would make your setup wear faster than even mine. Balljoints yearly if you're lucky. You're going to rub on potholes and turning. You'll regret it but sounds like you're mind is made up. Listen to the ones that have tried it before you, 2" body lift and 31"s max.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
jsmcnabb6s

Post by jsmcnabb6s »

Well from what I've read i am going to start piecing together a MML, if i start with one component i will eventually have to progress, or so i hope so i don't procrastinate, i am ordering a 2" body lift tonight, probably going to run it for a while on my stock wheels, wait for my taxes to come in, then crank the TB and get a 2" shackle, and buy wheels, anyone have any suggestions on back spacing, from what Ive seen I'm thinking of getting two rims for the front, and two rims for the rear with about an inch difference in the back spacing, I haven't had a chance to look through the forum for a good backspacing or if this would work sufficiently, Ill do some reading on the topic, anyhow i appreciate the responses to this post, and if anyone has any backspacing tips tricks or knowledge just leave me a line, thanks
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Keep the rearspacing the same on all the wheels so that you can rotate them. That is pretty important for rigs with IFS that tend to cup the front. Add spacers on the rear to even up the look of the track.
It suggest finding wheels with 4.5" to 4.75" rear spacing. Less than that will be problematic.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
jsmcnabb6s

Post by jsmcnabb6s »

I found a set of wheels on Summit, they are Cragar 15" tall, 8"wide, with 4" back spacing, do you think i will run into any issues with them? i know they will stand out from the wheel well a little bit but wont be to bad, and your right, after i posted my reply i got to looking and thinking, getting all four the same size makes better sense with spacers on the back, i had a laps in my head i guess, thinking about it to much
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Keep looking. 4" rearspacing and an 8" wheel is going to be a rubbing problem. That wheel sticks out 2.5" farther than stock. Add a wider tire section width and you will have issues. 4.5" is the least I would try.
If you want to run 31x10.5-15 tires with the Skidz fender cuts, they might clear with those tires.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
sonomadude4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by sonomadude4x4 »

for rims i have the eagle alloys series 146 there 15x8 with 5.5 inch back spacing real nice looking rim if u can find a set i just checked around on line and couldnt find them anymore ive had mine for a little over a year now but thats the closest to stock rim spacing i could find eaven these stick out of the fenders a fair amount . . . but they should fit without a problem if u can find them