Blazer MML-ish stuff to ask.

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

dougg01
Crew
Crew

Blazer MML-ish stuff to ask.

Post by dougg01 »

So - project blazer is about to move to the next phase - ready for trails in the spring.

Many questions. Looking for some experiences, some answers, and perhaps alternatives.

Shocks. I think I've settled on some procomp 3000s long enough to handle the rear lift of 2" shackles and add-a-leaf (~3.5").

Same vendor for steering stabilizer. Mine didn't come with one.

spacers. Looks like I've settled on N90s for wheels on this stage of the truck. Fronts rub minor on the frame and if I switch to a 32 (planned) they really will. What size spacer in front and what size in the back...? Looks like 1.5 is common on the tail. I don't want pregnant roller-skate look. Probably go with the e-bay units.

rear axle. I'd love to get my hands on a ZR2 diff, but you have to find one for a decent price and get it shipped. One day. Meantime - putting my 7.5 torsen disc rear from the jimmy under the blazer. I'll grab the spare girdle from the shop then too.

Brake lines. Probably get an earl's kit for a lift. I don't like ballooning stock lines.

The truck has a vibe. I thought it was 4wd-related, but all the front stuff has been replaced. It's not always there and now I can confirm it is not 4wd's problem. The truck had a bent rim (RR) when I got it. Axle or housing maybe tweaked...? Rear DS...? The disc rear is true so when that is done I'll know more.

PA 2" BL should be ordered today. Summit is going to get some $$$ from me...

Unsure about the fender trim. I plan to run 32s and the tire I'm looking at measures 31.8". What ya think...? Will it rub with the front sway disco'd...?
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Re: Blazer MML-ish stuff to ask.

Post by F9K9 »

Off the top of my head. The front is still going to need a full MML tri, job and the full size bump stops. I am thinking that Brule ran 1.25" spacers up front with my OEM ZR5 wheels. That's the same BS as the N90s. I do not recall his rear spacers sixe but, that is neither here nor there. If, memory serves me right, your Blazer is a 4DR and the rear MML cuts won't work there. You're in uncharted waters and I would cut off what I could and maybe clearance VIA BFH. Find a bump stop to prevent the tires from getting into the metal. This will limit up travel which, most people tend to not put enough emphasis on but, it may just work. Just remember that the lower that you can keep it, the better that you are when in off-camber situations. The current thought is to cut metal before increasing height.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
dougg01
Crew
Crew

Post by dougg01 »

I already figured out how i want to do the MML in the rear. Front first so I can make pretty.

Maybe 1.25" in front and 2" in the rear.... I need to find some picturs before biting off on this.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Snuggle up with these at night. You already know that they can be your friends.

[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
dougg01
Crew
Crew

Post by dougg01 »

On this stage of the build the trimming will be done fore and aft. The doorjamb will limit what I can do, but there is still material there to be snipped and I have no problem with it.

My grand plan if we continue with this vehicle and I stay with the off-roading thing is to SAS down the road and then move the rear axle back and the wheel opening will move too. there really isn't much on these trucks (4dr blazer/jimmy) preventing that from being an easy move.