Just want it to look like a truck.

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

kenfyoozed
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by kenfyoozed »

Well finally the wife comes to me and says, you need new tires, so now would be a good time to get your lift. :shock: I said yes ma'am.

I only want my truck to look like a truck. I would like to be able to run 31x10.5. Only because the sheer amount of tire makes for this size.

So my searching has produced, that i will need at least a 2"BL. I may or may not need a TB crank, and I may or may not need to do the skids cuts.

I will be using stock wheels, and the truck is a DD, only off road she sees is riding across my field, or hunting roads/trails.

Here she is.
2003 S-10 CC

Tires now are 235/75r15

front

rear

Can anyone help with these may or may nots? I know each rig has its own issues, but i would love to put some of these questions to rest.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Just want it to look like a truck.

Post by HenryJ »

I think that you can make it work with the plan that you have in place. Think about an inexpensive set of step bars to better hide the frame.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
sparky

Post by sparky »

you should b ok with what your thinkn. iv workd alot with rocky mountain suspension products. there phone is 18005214908. there really good and verry helpfull
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Your plan should be "good to go"! I have been researching tires, recently, for another rig and have come across a couple that we thought were long extinct. They have a more aggressive tread design and I can't think of the manufacturers immediately. 30/9.50s come to mind but, I know that I ran across more.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

All I can say is read my specs. This whole setup works great for DD and sometime Off Road. Its not a rock climber or an off road racer but, I'm very comfortable in rock, sand, snow, mud, highway corners and hills. Check it out. Note I have no body lift. 8)
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
kenfyoozed
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by kenfyoozed »

My biggest fear or hurdle is I don't want to cut my rig. Just because of screwing it up. But I thought if I needed to cut , what do you think of hiding the cut with a may flap that is fitted, and has a lip that runs up the side of the truck. I figure if it needs to be cut the front is the only place. The rear should be fine. Oh, and need spacers for the rear as well.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Sounds like you are describing the Skidz cuts?

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
kenfyoozed
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by kenfyoozed »

HenryJ wrote:Sounds like you are describing the Skidz cuts?
Yes sir, that wa the skid cuts i was referring to.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

You won't need the skidz cuts to clear small 31x10.5-15 tires in mild use on stock wheels. The bump stops and a little massage at the back of the fender will be enough after the 2" body lift.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
kenfyoozed
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by kenfyoozed »

Thanks HJ. That makes me feel better.
sonomadude4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by sonomadude4x4 »

my 2002 crew is set up like your talikn about doing . . ive got a 2 inch body lift tb crank 31x10.50 bfg mud terrain km2's and eagle alloy 15x8 with 5.5 inch bsack spacing and did not have to cut my fenders its my daily driver and will go just about anywhere u want it to go heres a picture of it

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75 ... itled1.jpg
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Sounds like good plan!!
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
z28
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by z28 »

are there any issues with with wiring the wiring harness or break lines being too short with the 2 inch body lift? The reason i ask, i have seen jeep guys use 2x3 tubing for body lift blocks and was wondering if 3 inches of lift on a cc would cause more problems than its worth. I would also like to fit 31" tires but from what i have read on here I really dont want to mess with my t-bars and 3 inches of lift with stock rims seems like it would definitly fit 31's
2003 S10 Crew Cab ZR5
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The brake lines are long enough. The wiring to the PCM and the battery cables are borderline. The biggest problem is the column binding and lack of relocation parts for the bumpers and oil filter. Add to that the already problematic intake and a I think it could be a recipe for troubles.
2" is pretty much trouble free. I know of one who did a 3" a very long time ago. I am not sure it is worth the effort.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
z28
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by z28 »

do you have to modify the steering column with the 2 inch?
2003 S10 Crew Cab ZR5
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

z28 wrote:do you have to modify the steering column with the 2 inch?
No

- ThunderII KE7CSK