Has anyone tried the Rough Country lift?

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

nebby58
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Has anyone tried the Rough Country lift?

Post by nebby58 »

Debating whether to get the 2" Rough Country Suspension Lift, but I want to be able to crank the T-bar to get 1 or 2 inches extra. BL is not the best option because of an aftermarket air intake in the way. Not too thrilled about having to remove the bumpers.
"It says the install time is only a half an hour"-me
"Better add three more on top of that"-family
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Has anyone tried the Rough Country lift?

Post by HenryJ »

The Rough country and all the other 2" "suspension lifts" are nothing more than clocked keys to crank the torsion bars farther than is possible with the stock keys. Some kits include replacement upper a-arms to correct for alignment and improve the angle of the upper ball joint. These do not help the lower ball joint or CV joints.
The stock keys will already turn the bars beyond the range of the ball joints and CV joints. Adjusting to the maximum Z height as listed in our stock information pages is the best you can do.

2" suspension kits are a bad idea. There are many threads on the subject.

Anyone used Rough country's setup??
2" suspention lift
Lift Q...another broken record
2 inch lift questions?????
a slightly meatier look
The list goes on and on...

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
nebby58
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by nebby58 »

So Rough Country wants $430 for something that I can do without their kit?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

No. You will never get 2" of lift from the stock torsion bar keys and a-arms.

A quick search and some reading will answer all your questions.
HenryJ wrote:
turkeestalker wrote:... Just cranking them tighter doesn't sound like a very good idea to me. What I wanted to know was if the use of the keys would at least allow a freedom of range, so as to not prohibit adjustment needed with doing a front end alignment. I understand that it will induce the same stresses, on the bars and other components, as simply cranking them.
NOT trying to tick anyone off here.
I am not sure you are listening. You must be really intent on going this direction.
The keys just allow you to turn the bars more than you can with the stock keys. They do not relieve the stress on any thing or increase the range of travel. Just the opposite.
It all may be a mute point anyway, I found a 2" kit from Rough Country that I am curious if anyone has any experience with, or opinions about. A link to that kit is this:

http://www.roughcountry.com/chevy_4wd_s10.html

I spoke with a tech on the phone about it. He claimed that the CVs would not be bound enough to create a problem if I followed the instructions,lest they would have included and adaptor to address that issue. He also claimed that the ball joint relocation brackets negated the problems with additional stresses and wear etc..
Salesman BS. This kit is no different than any other 2" suspension lift. Those arms are to correct the camber. When you crank the bars this far the upper a-arms are not long enough to set camber.
Honest opinions anyone?
Trying to. Do a search for 2" suspension lifts here. There is plenty of information.

I have tried to help. You have been warned as best I can. Go ahead and do as you wish. Forewarned.
With nearly a decade of information here, there are very few things we have not discussed in depth. This post was over three years ago.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
nebby58
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by nebby58 »

Could you combine the both to get a 4" lift? Sorry if I sound stupid, I'm just thinking off the top of my head. I'm trying to get the tallest lift that I can without dropping 2 grand on a 6" lift.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Forget the RC lift. It will be an exercise in futility, that others have tried, and reported back failures. Save your money and either go the MML route or save up more money and throw some real solid axles under the CC.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
nebby58
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by nebby58 »

I'm going the MML route. I just ordered a 2" body lift that will hopefully come before this weekend. I'll read the post HJ put on the MML and it should be good to go. On a scale on 1 to 10, how hard is this thing going to be to put on? I can see my truck being pulled away in pieces to a local shop to have them finish the job. That scares me a little.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

There are quite a few good body lift install threads. Follow the directions. Read them and then read them again. Then have a friend read them to you during the install. There is a reason you lift one side before the other. Lift no higher than needed to insert the bushings. Avoid wasps. :lol:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Start soaking all the fasteners. with PB Blaster or Seafoam Deep Creep, daily while you await the kit to arrive. Your location and the age of these trucks will make rust a constant enemy.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
nebby58
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by nebby58 »

A shop just gave me an estimate for $600 to install it. For that, I am going to try it myself.