Best rugged tire look?

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

nebby58
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Best rugged tire look?

Post by nebby58 »

I am looking for the biggest tire I can fit without rubbing. I have a 2 inch BL and torsion bars cranked. I want something that will sit my truck up higher than it is. I know some you have bought a large variety of tires, so I was wondering if I could get your opinions on which ones are the best bang for your buck.
"It says the install time is only a half an hour"-me
"Better add three more on top of that"-family
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Re: Best rugged tire look?

Post by F9K9 »

nebby58 wrote:.................I know some you have bought a large variety of tires, so I was wondering if I could get your opinions on which ones are the best bang for your buck.
31s is the best that you can do with your set up. You will probably need to get friendly with a dremel tool/BFH/research to make it work. All the info is here if, you will take the time to research a little more.

I am still running BFG A/Ts on my CC and the ATs work the best for me in all situations except for mud. Maybe they aren't all that "macho" in the aggressive looking department but, ours managed Moab on moderate trails. I stuck with them when I got my first heep and they shocked all the mud tire adorned wranglers.

[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
sonomadude4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by sonomadude4x4 »

31x10.50 is big as your gona be able to go with out cuts . . i run the 31x10.50 bfg mud terrain km2's best tire ive ever owned ive had these tires in every thing from snow, mud , sand, rocks every thing and they've never let me down. and the tred life is good for it being a mud tire ill probly get 50,000 miles out of them and they just look mean :rock:
nebby58
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by nebby58 »

I was looking at the reader rides thread and really liked the tires on F9K9's truck. I was wondering if those would fit my vehical. Do you mind me asking how much you paid for them?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Reed's tires are BFG TAKO 33x10.5-15
They will not fit a truck without the MML.

Each tire and size will change the look a little. A tire with a squared shoulder requires more clearance. 30x9,5-15 is about as big as you can fit with no rubbing after a 2" bodylift and a few turns on the torsion bars. Being careful and with a little fender trimming 31x10.5-15 can work if the rearspacing is kept stock.
Decide what terrain you plan to play in and then choose the tire. Wheels and your available clearance all play a part in what will fit too.
I am biased toward the BFG TAKO. They have been a good performer in all that I have done.
Readers rides is a great thread to see what you like. The mods lists are included making it easy to follow the same build.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
nebby58
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by nebby58 »

If I were to add shackles and spacers could I increase the tire size? I would also decrease my wheel size.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

nebby58 wrote:If I were to add shackles and spacers could I increase the tire size? I would also decrease my wheel size.
Adding shackles is not going to help. The real problem area is the front.

Do this simple test to see just how much room that you have. Drive one front wheel up on a six inch or higher curb. Turn the tire to the point where it is the closest to the back of the front fender and take a measurement, then do the same for the other side as they can differ.

Any increase in tire diameter will reduce that clearance. Any reduction in wheel rear spacing will reduce that clearance.
If your stock 28" tires on the stock wheels leave you 1.5" of clearance, then going to a 30" tire will leave you a 1/2" of clearance. That is TIGHT! Usually we like no less than 1" of tire clearance.
If you decide to mess with less wheel rear spacing, read the article on "scrub radius". Lots to think about beyond the fender clearance. Don't get me wrong, the widfer stance has advantages and is needed when the tires get BIG. Power steering pump upgrades, steering dampner, steering stops and other things are needed to make it work.

Under heavy articulation I was rubbing the stock with the optional offroad tires. They are only 29" tall , with 7" of tread and a 9" section width. With 31x10.5-15 tires after a TB crank, BSW rear springs and a 2" bodylift I rubbed very hard and had to be very careful. Measure the stock wheel wells. They are only 31" wide. That does not leave much room for tires.
After cutting fenders for the Skidz flares and adding the fullsize bump stops I finally got it all fixed right.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
nebby58
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by nebby58 »

I can't afford to cut it close with rubbing and clearance, so I think I am going to go the direction that 14x4 went with his truck. According to the modifications page, he has exactly what I have except I would have to add spacers in the back. The tires are 30. Is that a safe size?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

With a 2" body lift and the stock wheels a 30" tire is very reasonable. Might even leave some room for less rearspacing. I wish we still had some pictures of Mark's truck (AZS10Crew) around.
Our old gallery has quite a few photos: Crewcab2ya gallery

- ThunderII KE7CSK
nebby58
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by nebby58 »

I pmed 14x4. I hope he doesn't mind. I assume he is an active member due to his recent posts.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

You do know 14x4 is a MML truck with 33x9.50-15 tires and Skidz cut-out flares, right?

- ThunderII KE7CSK
nebby58
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by nebby58 »

Whoops! I meant aparkinson. I must have been looking at the wrong name. Thats a blonde moment.
nebby58
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by nebby58 »

aparkinson only has one post, so I think I won't waste my time by messeging him. The pic is the second to last one in the readers rides thread.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

That is closer to Mark's set-up. Shoot for wheels with 4.5" to 4.75" rearspacing at the very least. You can find them.

Do the test and let us know how much clearance that you have. And the gear ratio that you are running.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
nebby58
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by nebby58 »

Got them picked out on discount tire. Now I just need to save $1,000...
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

You might find Summitracing.com a little cheaper?
Four black Aero racing wheels with 4.5" rearspacing and four BFG TAKO comes to just over $907. That leaves you room to find a set of stock GM s-series black hub caps. Those will reuse your stock lug nuts and covers.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
nebby58
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by nebby58 »

By the way, I don't know if anyone is interested, but I found a website that pays people to give answers to car questions. Its called fixya.com. I just thought you guys would like to know because you guys do this for fun, might as well get paid!
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

nebby58 wrote:... I just thought you guys would like to know because you guys do this for fun, might as well get paid!
You NEED to learn a little more about us then.
This site has been free to all and freely hosted for over a decade. It is all about a free internet, not about making money.
You may not have noticed that we do not beg contributions, post banner advertising or anything else.
It is all about paying it forward and helping out others. We each get "paid" back in many ways on this site. I hope it can stay that way for a very long time. there are some things that are worth more than money can ever buy. The people here are those things to me.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
nebby58
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by nebby58 »

Yes, I have noticed that there is no advertising on this website. Thanks for the help!
sonomadude4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by sonomadude4x4 »

ive got a 2 inch body lift and tb crank i run 31x10.50's bfg muds on 15x8 rims with 5.5 inch bs i do not have the skidz cuts i dont have any rubbing issues ive got plenty of room in my fenders and plenty of room when the tires are turned . . thats just me though when i bought my truck it had 31x10.50 bfg at ko's on it with no lift didnt have any issues with rubbing but every trucks different i guess i just got lucky lol
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Black Rock makes custom sized wheels for less than $120 per wheel. The BR wheels on my Z are 15x8 with 5.5" of backspace which is the same as a stock 15x7 with 6" of backspace. I purchased mine through Americas Tire. These wheels would fit perfect on a crew cab! As far as tires, Goodyear MT/R's are the best tires I've ever used, and all I will use in the future.

Steve
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

killian96ss wrote:....... Goodyear MT/R's are the best tires I've ever used, and all I will use in the future.

Steve
With initial testing, I am impressed with the MT/R's with Kevlar.

a pic.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
nebby58
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by nebby58 »

I was thinking of spacing the tires as large as I can to give my vehical that wide stance look. Would this affect my handling and what size tire I can fit?
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

F9K9 wrote:
killian96ss wrote:....... Goodyear MT/R's are the best tires I've ever used, and all I will use in the future.

Steve
With initial testing, I am impressed with the MT/R's with Kevlar.

a pic.
My new MT/R's performed great on a new trail I tried a few weeks ago! The trail was about 20 miles long, and was rated a 4, although it seemed much worse with all the deep washouts and sharp serpentine rocks jutting out everywhere. The tires did great aired down to 15 psi, and I was surprised they weren't all cut up at the end of the day. These tires are really tough!

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

- ThunderII KE7CSK