mickey thompson baja claws

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

sonomadude4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

mickey thompson baja claws

Post by sonomadude4x4 »

got a buddie that wants to buy my bfg km2's from me and ive really been wanting the baja claws there just nasty lookn lol but has anyone ever run these? my crew will see some offroading but will be mostly driven on the highway any help will be great . tire size will be 31x10.50
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: mickey thompson baja claws

Post by HenryJ »

Claws don't last long on the pavement. On an IFS they tend to cup on the fronts. They are directional, so rotations to even the wear is limited.
They are very aggressive looking and sound like an aircraft coming down the road.
No experience with the KM2. but I suspect they will have better street manners.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
sonomadude4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by sonomadude4x4 »

when u say the cup what do u mean?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Where every other outside lug wears more than the next. It could also be feathering.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I second Brule on the Claws. KM2s are ok but the ATs are better.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
sonomadude4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by sonomadude4x4 »

yeah i had the AT's for a while but the mud terrain fits the terrain i drive on better usually nasty here during huntn season i gota have to grip lol but not to worried about the noise i like a good hum but my km2's i have now are worn kinda bad on one side on 3 of the tires due to needing an alighnment really bad . . so there not rideing the best and i just like the claws so we'll see what i end up doing every where ive read people seem to get about 30,000 miles outa the claws so we'll see
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

If you will be happy with 25k they might work for you , but...If you are thinking about the claws seriously consider the Yokohama Geolandar M/T Plus

Their shoulder design is a little rounder and the cases run a little smaller. That will give you some much needed clearance over the claws. They too are directional and will offer about the same mileage or possibly a little better? I loved them! They were too short lived for me though.
They really do hook up in anything! I think that you will find them to be $300 per set cheaper too.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
sonomadude4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by sonomadude4x4 »

yeah i looked at those i really like them and the price lol but the tred depth is 18/32 and the claw is 20/32 and i really like the side wall on the claw, the off road shop offerd me a killer deal on the claws also 100$ cheeper than every where else ive checked still looking though allso looking at the pro comp x terrain and the dick cepek mud country but the claws are calling my name :roflmao:
sonomadude4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by sonomadude4x4 »

#1 pick claw

#2 pro comp xterrain

#3 dick cepek mud country

#4 dick cepek crusher
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

All the tires that you have selected run pretty true to size or larger. Watch your clearances.
Choose the one that makes you happy.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
sonomadude4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by sonomadude4x4 »

ima make a decision here soon as long as my buddie buys my bfg's from me. . think ill have plenty of room for any of them ive never been able to get my bfg's to rub even when ive tryed to lol but ill post pics of the truck with one of those 4 tires when i finaly decide what ima do
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Keep in mind tread depth alone will not determine longevity when it comes to wear-out factors. Compound of the tire makes a tremendous difference. That extra depth can slough off faster than you think due to heat and abrasion factors more directly affected by compound composition.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

sonomadude4x4 wrote:..........got a buddie that wants to buy my bfg km2's from me......................my crew will see some offroading but will be mostly driven on the highway any help will be great . tire size will be 31x10.50
Looking back over this thread over this thread, I have come up with a couple of concerns. The BFG KM2s are an awesome tire for many hard core wheelers. Your tires are in good enough shape that a friend wants them from you, correct?

You're wanting something that looks more aggressive than the KM2 on the left.

You've not wheeled the CC enough to make a knowledgeable decision on the lack of performance in the KM2s yet, have you? Please, set me straight if, I am misunderstanding you, so far.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
sonomadude4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by sonomadude4x4 »

i mean there half decent and the km2 will get u through anything ive had them in every terrain mud.sand,rocks,snow . . everything i just seem to have a obsession with the claw lol
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

sonomadude4x4 wrote:.......i just seem to have a obsession with the claw lol
:thumb:
sonomadude4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by sonomadude4x4 »

there going on on either wednesday or thursday next week ill post pics soon as there on
sonomadude4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by sonomadude4x4 »

claws are going on the crew wednesday will post pics :thumb:
sonomadude4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by sonomadude4x4 »

tires went on this morrning they look great and sound wicked comeing down the road they dont really hum they howl it a really differnt sond than any other mud tire ive had will get some pictures of them once it stops raining
sonomadude4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by sonomadude4x4 »

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Now lets get it dirty!

- ThunderII KE7CSK
sonomadude4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by sonomadude4x4 »

haha im sure ill try them out soon enough dont usually get it dirty unless i have to but i may have to find a reason to just so i can try them out
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Looks good. Try to report up if, you think the noise is getting louder as they wear.
sonomadude4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by sonomadude4x4 »

oh im sure they will they howl like a pack of dogs now going down the highway sounds wicked lol
sonomadude4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by sonomadude4x4 »

update on the claws just got 1200 miles on them just now whore the tits off the tires the little bumps are still there . . rotations will be about every 2000 miles from what ive read they say the more u rotate them the better
sonomadude4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by sonomadude4x4 »

just rotated tires had been 1700 miles no wear yett just heard the more u rotate them the better also will have them in the sand one day this week and plan to air them down to 20psi or so cause the sand here is soft this year i have heard
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

sonomadude4x4 wrote:........and plan to air them down to 20psi or so...........
What is the side wall rating on those. Unless, they are E rated, I'd air them down until you can see a bulge in the sidewalls. Thanks for the update.
sonomadude4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by sonomadude4x4 »

there load range C i aired down to 25psi cause i usually dont let any air out when i go on the beach but i was on organ inlet in Nags Head North Carolina the sand was really soft there this year people were getn stuck left and right but aired them down to 25 and never had a problem
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

You really shouldn't have any problems running 15 or a tad less. I bet half of the S/T series trucks are running 25 psi on the roads, out of ignorance or neglect. Your choice worked for you and that is all that really matters. :thumb:
sonomadude4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by sonomadude4x4 »

i would have gone lower but i didnt know if i was going to be able to get air close by theres a place across the street but its allways packed i really didnt wana have to run them at 15psi on the pavement
sonomadude4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by sonomadude4x4 »

had the claws in the mud finially lol there great . . my buddie got his F 150 stuck . . i mean he was stuck he was bottomed out on a hole so i went back and got the crew . . had to go through a few holes to get back there to him . never locked it into 4wd untill i had to pull him out.. i pulled him out in reverse even though there a directional tire they still got good grip but pulled him right out with out a problem
sonomadude4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by sonomadude4x4 »

update got about 7,000 miles on the claws now been rotateing them every 1500 to 2000 miles probly at about 85-90% tread now i can see geting about 30,000 miles out of them as far as the noise goes there starting to get a little louder which is expected with a tire like this nothing better than a good ol mud tire on coming down the road.. people allways tell me how good they look on the truck
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Thanks for the update! :thumb:
paintballrocker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by paintballrocker »

what backspacing are you running on your wheels?
[size=75]2002 CC, westin push bar with 2 lights, bed cover, custom made cat-back exhaust.......soon a steering stabilizer mod, lift, sounds system[/size]
sonomadude4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by sonomadude4x4 »

eagle alloys 15x8 with 5.5 inch bs
sonomadude4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by sonomadude4x4 »

update . . LOUD LOUD LOUD close to 20,000 miles on them now about half tred
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

It will be interesting to see how the last half goes. Most I have seen go pretty fast in the end. 25k miles is pretty good life for an aggressive tire like those.

At or beyond the half way mark now...will you buy another set as the replacements?

- ThunderII KE7CSK
sonomadude4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by sonomadude4x4 »

Probly wont buy another set in some ways they are worth it like for the looks and not many people have them so they really stand out I thing they are better suited for a off roader with the occasional drive down the high way not on a daily driver like my crew tires really kick a** though just not on a daily driver now at half tred the vibration is really bad bellow 10mph u do feel a little running 60 not bad though ill more likely go back with the bfg all terrain or the toyo mud terrain not knowing how long ima have the crew I may just go back with something not so expensive
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

We never did get many long term reports on the Dunlop Mud Rovers. Those might be a less expensive option too.

Keep us updated on the tires! Thanks!

- ThunderII KE7CSK
sonomadude4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by sonomadude4x4 »

new update on claws turns out there better than i thought still tread were is fast but turns out ive had a front hub going bad over like the last 4 months and didnt ever notice because i though the tires were just getting louder turns out it was the hub making most of the noise. no vibration at highways speeds anymore... just a little at 20mph and below still are loud as all get out but not to bad and ride nice and smooth on the highway