shocks

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

JORSWIFT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

shocks

Post by JORSWIFT »

Does any one know what the OEM shock part # is for our rear shocks? 2002 GMC ZR5? I have a chance to buy some Bilsteins but they are OEM part # 12474913? Thanks.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: shocks

Post by HenryJ »

We did not receive OEM Bilsteins. ZR5 was an appearance package and did not get Bilstein shocks like the ZR2 package.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
JORSWIFT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by JORSWIFT »

Will they fit or no? I know we can get HD Bilsteins. Was hoping they would fit or be comparable. Thanks.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

ZR2 shocks, if that is what they are, are longer than our shocks. Hobie put a set on the back of his truck after adding 2" lift shackles. I sort of worried he might bottom them out. They did give him lots of drop though. I am fairly sure the front shocks will be too long no matter what you do.
I have heard the OEM Bilstein are a little softer than the HD Bilstein. I don't know if that is good, bad or an issue.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
JORSWIFT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by JORSWIFT »

OK. I plan on adding a 2" lifting shackle for the rear as well. I just thought they might be the same product as the HD Bilsteins. I want a more aggressive stance and dont want the truck to squat much with a light load. My wife and kids were sitting on the tailgate at ball game and the truck was squating a bit. Thanks.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

They are definitely not the same as the aftermarket HD Bilstien shock. Bilstein makes shock to a manufacturer specification too.
A friend here has a rig with lift kit supplied Bilstein shocks. Turns out that they are not replaceable and not under the Bilstein warranty. One of his failed and he was unable to get a replacement. They were built specially for the kit and sold to the kit manufacturer. When the kits are gone, so are the shocks.
I suspect the OEM Bilsteins are similar in that GM set the specifications. The shock boot is different for sure. I like the convoluted , "sealed" boots on the HD shocks. The OEM shocks have a plastic shield.
I have OEM Bilstiens on my Avalanche and have been tempted to get a set of HD Bilsteins. My hope is that they would firm it up a little bit. I really can't complain about it as it is though.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
JORSWIFT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by JORSWIFT »

Ok, thanks for the info. I will stay away from the OEM and just splurge for the HD Bilstein. Now will it affect the ride or anything if I just get the rear first and hold off for awhile for the front?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

If you still have stock shocks, get them all replaced...now. You will be amazed in the difference. Mine went from making my wife sea sick to riding like it was on rails in the corners. The difference is HUGE. These shocks have very good street manners and are unmatched offroad. The patented design is very good. No springs to get weak. Monotube for good cooling. Check out their website to learn more.
My stock shocks were replaced twice under warranty. They pay less than $1 each for those shocks and can replace them many times over during the warranty period. They are cheap in all ways.
I think I still have the last set that was replaced under warranty. They made it home in time for the BIlsteins to replace them. Two strike rule applied :)

If all you are going to do is lift the back a couple inches to get back the factory rake, the HD replacement shocks will offer all the travel that you need. That is what I used on mine with the Boise SpringWorks spring kit on the rear.

It is a chunk of change to buy all four shocks at once, but I would do it. If you plan to keep the truck over four or five years, save your money and buy the Bilstein shocks. They are truly a lifetime shock and will hold up longer than the truck will. If you are only going to have the truck a couple years, you might consider some cheaper shocks and not feel bad when they die in a couple years. I have not heard anything good from those who went with Rancho shocks, so I would avoid those.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
JORSWIFT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by JORSWIFT »

Awesome. Thanks for the advice!
Cajun
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Cajun »

If you are doing the shocks, then do the Energy Suspension Poly sway bar bushings. New shocks and sway bar bushings together...you will not believe the difference :thumb:

I've always been envious of you guys that spent the money for the Bilsteins. I have children that always seem to need something lots less fun than truck parts, like a trips to the dentist. So I was on a tight budget and a short leash, went with the Pro Comp 9000s. They go for about $40 ea. HUGE difference in the trucks manners. I have had flawless service from them for seven years. my :2:

http://www.procompusa.com/productlist.a ... _qualifier
[size=75]03 ZR5 Crew Cab[/size]
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

I went with cheap shocks the first time. Money wasted. 2 of 4 died. Lifetime warranty sure, but how many times do I want to change them out? Went with the Bilsteins instead.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

I still am OK with my Rancho RSX shocks, I might like the ride better on Bilsteins but without a local ride to test them out I have no way to compare. 6 years and about 60K on them and counting.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

We're not THAT far from each other. Trade for a day when its reasonable to drive again?
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Might be cool to get together I have friends in Keene area I have not seem in quite a while and the Crotched mountain ski area is where my crew got it's only taste of trail riding with NEZR2 club a few years back
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
JORSWIFT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by JORSWIFT »

What is the part # for the Rancho shocks? Thanks.
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

The RSX's have been discontinued so the part number is no longer on their site you might find it on Amazon or somewhere like that. Looks like the bilsteins are the way to go now.
JORSWIFT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by JORSWIFT »

Bummer.. Im finding out most parts & accessories are discontinued or indefinite back order!
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

7 years after last manufacture date for the last s10 crew cabs will be next month. Not surprised to find Aftermarket parts starting to dry up for all the s-10's except for the ZR-2's. It's one of the reasons I bought a set of energy suspension poly bushing kits for my leaf springs years ago and put them on the shelf till I needed to redo the spring pack someday. Still have them waiting in the wings.
JORSWIFT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by JORSWIFT »

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

JORSWIFT wrote:These are available at Sears...
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1260 ... s&sLevel=3.
:lol: I guess I shouldn't laugh...I drive a car that was once sold by Sears :lol:
Sorry, that was the first thing that flashed :crazy:

Remember what we said about Rancho shocks. Go in eyes wide open and don't be unhappy in a year or so.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

I tried Rancho RSX (now discontinued) and Bilstein HD shocks when I had my CC and the Bilstein's were better. The Rancho 5000's are a step below the RSX's and are very stiff shocks, so expect a harsh ride if you go that route. The Bilstein's really are the way to go, but if you don't have the $ get something in the mid range by either Rancho or Pro Comp.

Steve
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Replaced my stockers a few years ago with Bilstiens and never looked back or regretted it either. Good ride great handling and they are standing up to the pounding I've given them. My .02 worth.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I had less than 1,000 miles on mine when, I junked the stockers. Bought them once and I am still happy almost 6 yrs later.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
JORSWIFT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by JORSWIFT »

Now, when I sit in my truck it has some sag and will lean towards the drivers side. I am not that big of a guy 200lbs, will new shocks (the bilsteins) help with this problem? Also, seems as if I am looking up once in the cab, the bed seems lower than the cab, will the new shocks help that as well? Thanks.
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

New shocks won't correct leaning or sagging which is caused by worn out torsion bars and/or leaf springs. You can adjust the torsion bars up or down on each side to raise the front of the truck, lower it, or to even out side to side measurements. If the rear is too low, you can install longer shackles, add a leaf to each spring pack, or replace the spring packs with custom made springs that usually contain stiffer or more springs per pack.

Steve
sonomadude4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by sonomadude4x4 »

any have a link for the HD Bilsteins for our crews i need both front and back i cant seem to find them any help would be great my truck just has the MML so just need stock legenth shocks
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

- ThunderII KE7CSK
sonomadude4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by sonomadude4x4 »

pefect thanks :thumb: