I want to lift my s10- help

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

RebelKid1822
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

I want to lift my s10- help

Post by RebelKid1822 »

I have a 2003 zr5, and i want to lift it. i think i want to just to do a body lift, but i dont really kno alot about lifting to i would like some help please!
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: I want to lift my s10- help

Post by HenryJ »

Start by reading the mod page from our website. 2" body lift. Then download the instructions that are linked from there. Read those.
If you need more a quick search for body lift here will yield lots of reading material and experiences.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
RebelKid1822
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by RebelKid1822 »

thank you that helped, but in having trouble find a website that has the kit less then 200. is that about how uch itll be?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

$200 sounds about right. It costs more than some since it includes bumper and oil filter relocation brackets.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
RebelKid1822
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by RebelKid1822 »

is the remote oil fiilter bracket just lowered?
RebelKid1822
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by RebelKid1822 »

i looking at the summit kit, is there any fab that i will have to do? or will it all be bolt on?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

There can be some quirks.

You're location is not listed in your profile so I don't know from where you hail. If you have a local autoparts store that will come close to online pricing, I suggest you do that.

You really need to open the box and confirm that all the parts are there. Many have found parts missing. The manufacturer is good about replacing those parts, but it is a delay.
Next thing is the money is better spent supporting the businesses in your community.

It is likely that you will need to drill the oil filter relocation brackets if the holes are squished and the bolts don't fit.
The filler tube extension, may or may not be needed. Relocation of the front axle actuator is another thing that some have tweaked a bit.

There are lots of good install threads around here. Lots of good experience in them.

"A pry bar is not a transmission tool". "Wasp spray may be needed for a body lift". "Follow the procedures...lifting the passenger side too far will tear the wiring out of the PCM".

There have been trips to the dealership to correct mistakes made.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
RebelKid1822
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by RebelKid1822 »

i will keep all that in mind. thank you alot. ill be sure to keep everyone posted on how its goes once i start.
riceburnr2005
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by riceburnr2005 »

I got the PA 2" BL. i got it for 260 but seems to be the kit that most of us run on our crew cabs. keep in mind that you're prolly wanna get gap guards as well for the fenderwells. Performance accessories also sells these. Look around on these forums you'll find what you need.
U.S. Marines
2003 CC LS, indigo blue, Spectre Cold Air, OBX throttle body spacer, descreened MAF, hunter bull bar, BAJA off road lights, 15x7 Crager soft 8 wheels, 31x10.50x15 Goodyear Wrangler Authority tires, cranked TB's, Daystar 2 inch shackles, 2" PA body lift, 1.5 inch spacers in the rear, Access TonnoSport Tonneau cover, reese hitch, carbon fiber front chevy badge, Lund bug deflector, roof rack from a blazer, Kenwood CD player, JVC 6 1/2 speakers.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Welcome to the forum :wave:

There's literally hours of reading material here if, you perform a search for "body lifts". You are definitely in the "rust belt" of northern OH. I lived up there so, I know your situation. Your CC has a few years on it now and I would like to help you out with a suggestion.

Whether you do the lift yourself or pay for it to be done (a waste of money IMO), I would suggest you read the instructions several times and then soak all of your fasteners (nuts and bolts) daily for, at least. a week before you begin the job. Longer is better in this case. Use PB Blaster of Sea Foam Deep Creep. It doesn't matter if, it's raining or you drive it daily (DD). Soak it daily and don't even consider WD40 to perform the job. I don't don't know if, it is internet myth of whatever. WD stands for water displacement and is worthless as a penetrating solution.

Good luck,
Reed
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
RebelKid1822
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by RebelKid1822 »

thank you for the tips. ive had the bed off a few times b4, and i hav had almost all of the cab mounts off before, that part should go easy i hope lol. i look forward to geting this under way.
RebelKid1822
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by RebelKid1822 »

just a thought i had cuz im curious, what would happen if i took the rear leaf springs and put them on top of the rear axle, would i be able to get enough turns on the front torsion bars to level the truck out? or would i mess up the front cv shafts?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

An axle flip on the back will gain 4.5"-6" depending upon the pad used. This is how the suspension lifts lift the rear. To match that on the front dropping the suspension mounting points is required.

Adjusting the front suspension to the maximum Z height will gain no more than .5"-1.5" depending upon the vehicles current adjustment.
Do a little research on the 2" suspension lift kits and you will see that they are just not a very good idea. Key lifts on these trucks cause more problems than they are worth. The suspension parts just do not have the range needed to handle any more than the maximum Z height adjustment. Trim height adjustments , including Z height are included on our website.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
RebelKid1822
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by RebelKid1822 »

ok thanks, so if i want to do a suspension lift, i need to just do a full one.
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

RebelKid1822 wrote:ok thanks, so if i want to do a suspension lift, i need to just do a full one.
Yes! Super Lift makes the best one for the CC. I did the BL, t-bar crank, and shackles when I had my CC and liked the results. The big suspension lifts are nice, but they do create other problems. Most of the people who were here and went that route sold their trucks and moved on. There is a ton of info on this site if you just take the time to read through it. If I got another CC, I would do the same lift again! It is very inexpensive and let's you run 31's with no problems.

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Check out the "Marvelous Mystery Lift" , "MML". I would do that again in a heartbeat. We still have several MML people here too.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:...................... We still have several MML people here too.
:rah:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
MinnesotaMudder
Crew
Crew

Post by MinnesotaMudder »

This is what a 04 ZR5 looks like with a 6'' super lift with 31'' tires
Attachments
IMG00027-20100406-1012[1].jpg
RebelKid1822
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by RebelKid1822 »

im planning on putting a pa 2 inch body lift on mine, will that affect a suspension lift? and were there alot of alterations you had to do?
MinnesotaMudder
Crew
Crew

Post by MinnesotaMudder »

I did not put the lift in myself i had it put in professionaly by a 4x4 shop, it took them a week to get it done. I did ask them if i could put in a BL and they said it would be ok.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

If you are going to install a 6" lift, why do you need a body lift? Bigger tires? Are you going to regear for those tires? What gears do you currently have?

31" tires are as tall as you want with 3.42 gears.
33" works with 3.73 gears and is as big as you want to go with these trucks.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
RebelKid1822
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by RebelKid1822 »

what size tires could i put on with a two in bl, and stock axles?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

MML= 33"
BL+TB=30" (+BFH for light use=31" depending upon the size and shape of the 31" tire.)

- ThunderII KE7CSK
RebelKid1822
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by RebelKid1822 »

im sry, idk wat those abrivations mean, explain plz?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

HenryJ wrote:Stock wheel rear spacing 29" tall tire is about all after just TB crank and shackles, without further modifications.

After a 2" body lift 30" or small 31" tires will work.

After MML 31"-33" tires will work.
MML- Marvelous Mystery Lift
BL- Body Lift
TB- Torsion Bar
BFH- Big F'n Hammer

- ThunderII KE7CSK
RebelKid1822
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by RebelKid1822 »

thank you. for now im just going to do the 2 in bl, then find sum 30s. will i be able to use the stock rims? i have the aluminum 5 star ones
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The stock wheel rearspacing works the best. With 30" tires you have room to go a little less rear spacing on the front.

Plan to add spacers on the rear to widen the rear to look right after the lift. There is a good thread or fifty on wheel spacers.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
sonomadude4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by sonomadude4x4 »

yes u will be able to use your stock rims i managed to get by with running 31x10.50"s on 15x8 rims with 5.5 inch back spacing i have the MML but with no finder cuts also check out the readers ride thread i beleave its under the N.O.S section
RebelKid1822
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by RebelKid1822 »

awsum thanks guys.