31/10.50/15's, spacers and body lift help!

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

My03zr5
Regular
Regular

31/10.50/15's, spacers and body lift help!

Post by My03zr5 »

So I'm new to the truck scene I use to be more into imports, so question is, I have a crew cab and did the tb crank and also the shackles, I want to be able to fit 31/10.50/15's I just ordered the pa body lift so I am wondering in order to keep the stock zr5 wheels what spacers will i need or in case thats not a preferable way to go, i was thinking about some crager wheels 15x8 what back space should I look into? I did some research here and it seems like no matter what I'll still rub, thanks for the help any advice or input will be very helpful,
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: 31/10.50/15's, spacers and body lift help!

Post by Horsehammerr »

SEARCH !!!! every question you could have is available in search.
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Sticking with the stock rear spacing up front you may get by with just a little BFH massage to the lower rear fender lip.
Spacers for the rear will help the appearance after the body lift.

If you want to buy wheels, I'd suggest no less than 4.75" rear spacing.

Check out the MML (Marvelous Mystery Lift). That has several good suggestions and is a great direction to head.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
My03zr5
Regular
Regular

Post by My03zr5 »

Thanks HJ I have read the MML and is when I decided to take on that set up but I didnt want 33's and being that I'm having a hard time to find 31x9.50x15's I wanted to make sure I won't order the wrong spacers or wheels, thanks a lot for your input, I will stick with stock wheels then, and ill get small spacers for the rear, then use the hammer for the front lol, I'm thinking of 1.50 or 2 for the rear spacers and then bf 31's, hopefully I won't run into many issues, Cjbargins I think is the place where I saw the spacers, thanks again
Freedom isn't Free.
CIVILIAN FRIENDS: Bail you out of jail and tell you what you did was wrong. MILITARY FRIENDS: Will be sitting next to you saying, Damn...we f**ked up...but hey, that was fun!"
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I'd suggest maybe waiting until after the body lift and tires to order spacers?
I was running 1.25" on the front and 2" on the rear. That worked pretty well, but it has been a very long time ago now.

I did run no spacers on the front and 1.25" on the rear while I had the 31" tires. IIRC, when I moved the 1.25 spacers to the front , that took care of the frame rub. I would say you are safe to order 1.25" spacers. Run them on the rear until you decide what is best. You can always move them to the front and order some 2" or 3" later.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
My03zr5
Regular
Regular

Post by My03zr5 »

Thanks HJ, I'll do that then, I appreciate your help sir, I hope everything works out well, thanks again!
Freedom isn't Free.
CIVILIAN FRIENDS: Bail you out of jail and tell you what you did was wrong. MILITARY FRIENDS: Will be sitting next to you saying, Damn...we f**ked up...but hey, that was fun!"
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Be sure to post pics and your experiences. Watch out for wasps! Soak those body mount bolts for a good week.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
My03zr5
Regular
Regular

Post by My03zr5 »

Yes sir lol already have the wasp spray pry wrench and started yesterday to soak the bolts I'll be sure to post any new insect attacks, new tools needed or crazy weather lol, thanks a lot
Freedom isn't Free.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

We had a ton of install threads, but it has been a long while since one was done. It almost seems fresh again :)
You are going to LOVE the change.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
My03zr5
Regular
Regular

Post by My03zr5 »

I can't wait for it to get here I just want it to stand more like a regular truck, so I'm sure I'll be really happy once it's all done, I really do like my truck and its a total diff experience than driving a lowered coupe, so far I'm really glad I got a zr5 and not something else
Freedom isn't Free.
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

I ran 31x10.5" Goodyear MT/R's on stock rims, 1" spacers on the rear, no spacers on the front, a 2" BL, 1.5" T-Bar crank, and 1-1/2" lift rear shackles with very good results. The front and rear track were exaxtly the same with 1" spacers on the rear, and I only had a little bit of frame rub when the front tires were turned all the way in either direction. There was no rub with the rear tires even when fully flexed. I got rid of most of the front tire frame rub by welding a little material to the factory wheel stops on the lower control arms. The only other thing I did to clear the 31's was cut off the sharp corner on the lowest part of the front wheel opening toward the rear. I did this without cutting into the inner fenderwell or beating anything up with a BFH. I could take that truck anywhere off road without any problems! I think the perfect backspace for 15x8 rims on these trucks would be anywhere from 5" to 5.5". I had Black Rock make some 15x8 rims with 5" of backspace for my 05 ZR2 Blazer. They are all black and only cost me $110 each. These would have fit real nice on a CC!

Steve
My03zr5
Regular
Regular

Post by My03zr5 »

Thanks Steve, well it seems that the best route to take would be to install the tires and then settle on what spacers I want or need, I'll look into the frame rub too, I'm a good welder so if it comes down to that in order to prevent frame rubbing, I got all the gear in my garage ready :) Thanks for your help, i feel a lot more comfortable about it now, since just yesterday before HJ helped me I was getting ready to order some 2in spacers for the back and 1.50 for the front, thinking it would help with 31's, thanks for you input, no I just CAN'T wait to get the body lift on!
Freedom isn't Free.
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

One good thing about this site is that there is a ton of info here and plenty of people willing to help. You will really like how your truck looks after the BL and bigger tires. It is a little wimpy in stock form.

Steve
riceburnr2005
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by riceburnr2005 »

+1
U.S. Marines
2003 CC LS, indigo blue, Spectre Cold Air, OBX throttle body spacer, descreened MAF, hunter bull bar, BAJA off road lights, 15x7 Crager soft 8 wheels, 31x10.50x15 Goodyear Wrangler Authority tires, cranked TB's, Daystar 2 inch shackles, 2" PA body lift, 1.5 inch spacers in the rear, Access TonnoSport Tonneau cover, reese hitch, carbon fiber front chevy badge, Lund bug deflector, roof rack from a blazer, Kenwood CD player, JVC 6 1/2 speakers.
My03zr5
Regular
Regular

Post by My03zr5 »

Oh yes This forum has some great info, but I also like the fact that people here are actually willing to give their input on a new thread with some old questions lol, I really like the forum a lot better than other automotive forums, maybe cause it seems like this is a closer CC enthusiast Community, I really appreciate all you guys input and help, I'm glad I joined this forum, I will keep posting with any news on how my truck is going and hopefully some pics, thanks a lot
Freedom isn't Free.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

When the three of us started this forum , one of the ground rules we sought to avoid was becoming the SEARCH police. It is a tough one to stick with. So much has already been done and done again.
Searching is great an most times you can find what you need. This latest version of the forum does not do quite as well as I would like. I have also not been as diligent as I once was about adding key words to the threads to make searching easier. Much of the work I did in linking threads got lost when we made the domain name switch when Bennie went MIA.

It really is amazing that we are still here almost eight years after the end of the s-series crew cab production.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

I know I'm way off topic here, but I haven't had a CC for almost 5 years now, and this is still my favorite forum!

Steve
My03zr5
Regular
Regular

Post by My03zr5 »

Yes and thanks for helping I understand searching helps a lot but sometimes you appreciate a lot more when people like you guys take some time to actually reply to us newbies in the cc world, that is one reason I like this forum a lot more, the other forums I been to are like you said "search search and search" even if later on I do decide to sell my truck I'm gonna stay around and try to pass down any knowledge I can get to the new guys, it seems like people here are a lot more friendlier and willing to help a Lot more, thanks again for helping
Freedom isn't Free.
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

Well??? do you have the BL on yet????
2002 GMC Sonoma crew cab 4x4. Tb mod, Air box mod, pre cat delete,B&M shift improver, Trans cooler, Big three ,AD-244 alt,Red top Optima, e-fan, HD Radaitor,265/70-16' on 16x8 TA wheels,, t-bar tweek, 1.5 inch shackles and 2 inch body lift,Skids fender trim, 1.5 inch wheel spacers in front and 2.5 in back, Quad mod and Frog lights.
Transfercase vacuum switch change DO IT!!!