Fender Flares

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

2002 Crew

Fender Flares

Post by 2002 Crew »

For those of you looking for some fender flares I just saw some at Summit racing. They have three brands... Bushwhacker, Pacer, and Street scene. Made of either Rubber, Thermoplastic, or Urethane.
2002 Crew

Re: Fender Flares

Post by 2002 Crew »

They're not cheap though!
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Any made for the Isuzu Hombre? If not, they don't fit ours.

The Buswacker extend-a-fender flares can be reworked to fit, but they do reduce the rear wheel opening.

Bushwacker fender flares install

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Diverdmt

Post by Diverdmt »

Has anyone used a ZR2 flare on reare from a blazer yet?
What was part number for your rear flares?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Diverdmt wrote:Has anyone used a ZR2 flare on reare from a blazer yet?
I have not seen it. There are problems with trying.
#1 our bed is different. We have the Isuzu Hombre fender bulge.
#2 the ZR2 wheel well openings are larger to accommodate the lip where those flares install.

It has been generally agreed that the rear fenders from a ZR2 are not an option on the crew cabs :)

That said, it has been done using ZR2 truck flares... Stretch the frame , install a standard ZR2 bed and use the flares on it :) Look around for pictures of a nice red crew cab from a few years back. :rock:

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Built2Bend
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Built2Bend »

Something interesting I've seen is someone(I'll try to find a link for ya) shortened a 6ft s10 bed to fit a crew so they no longer had the Isuzu bulge we do. So maybe it would be possible to cut down a zr2 bed to 4.5ft and install it. The only problem I can think of besides all the work. Is the front off the wheel well fill be rubbing the back of the cab almost and possibly wheel not centered in wheel we'll as a result. But if you don't wana cut the frame up and are more comfortable doing body work it could work.
Built2Bend
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Built2Bend »

There's a picture of it in this thread.
http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f30/the-s ... 065?page=3

And I believe this is the thread.
http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f30/proje ... 861?page=1

This one is bagged but it looks as tho it doesn't have the Isuzu bulge. And correct me if I'm wrong but I thot crew cab.net had a write up of a install of after market zr2 flares on a crew. They required a lot of work tho if I remember right
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The flares we used are the Skidz Flares. They are a cut out flare and require cutting the fenders. They do look similar to the ZR2 flares, but are vastly different.
To the best of my knowledge no one has fitted ZR2 flares to the stock crewcab body work. Even the front fenders would require modification as the ZR2 fenders are larger at the wheel well openings to allow for the mounting lip inside. I am not saying it can not be done. I am sure it could, but it would take lots of skilled work to complete.
You can download the GM Upfitters manuals and compare the frame and bodies. It would take lots of work to add ZR2 flares. Maybe much more than most would consider. I still think the best option is the stretch and add a standard size bed. That eliminates the hassle with the fuel tank and mounts.
If you must have flares , the last set of Skidz falres are for sale in the classifieds. That is the easiest option. Just the Skidz cuts looks very good if you can go flareless.
I am still waiting for someone to try the F150 flares. They looked great on a Jeep I saw a picture of. I still think those have potential :)
I don't know if Mike Copeland still sells his pocket flares. Those might be another avenue. It would need the standard S-series bed sides though.

One more thing to consider would be the baja designs fiberglass fenders. BIG bulge fenders. Cut and fit :)

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Built2Bend
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Built2Bend »

There's a milion ways to do it. I've seen a photo chop of a crew where he planed to move the wheel well back 6inches and I guess if you did that it would be easier. I believe part of the problem is with the flares hanging over in to the gap between the cab and bed. So it would fix that. But it still won't fit are Isuzu bulges. And then you'd have to move your axle.

Also I've seen 2 people use bushwhacker flares on the rear. They sed they had to trim the top edge for the bulge and cut(melt may work also) the front inbetween bed and cab to fit. It looked like quite a bit a work. And I'm not sure if lasted long term eather.

But like Henryj sed I also think a 6 foot bed is better becoulse I have trouble hauling much of anything in my 4.5 bed. So if I can't find a set of skids cut outs I plan on Buying a zr2 to canabalize :rock:

So there's some more ideas for people to try I also want to we the f150 flares tryed to
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Built2Bend wrote:... I've seen 2 people use bushwhacker flares on the rear. They sed they had to trim the top edge for the bulge and cut(melt may work also) the front inbetween bed and cab to fit. It looked like quite a bit a work. And I'm not sure if lasted long term eather. ..
Bushwacker extend-a-fender flares work pretty well, however they are slightly smaller than our wheel wells on the back. You can kind of see how they don't quite fit at the top inside.

Thunder II flares

Minor trimming was needed on the front of the rear flare. Pretty easy to trim for the bulge too.

Worst part is that the already small (31") wheel openings get smaller after adding flares.

- ThunderII KE7CSK