20's on 01cc factory hight?

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

streetman

20's on 01cc factory hight?

Post by streetman »

Hey i am looking a getting some new wheels for my cc and i want to go big i was hoping to fit 20's on anyone can help me out on tire sizes or would 18's look better? oh and what about the back spacing...what does that mean? This is my first crew cab. I'm used to working on a little ford ranger. need all the help i can get. Thanks
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Re: 20's on 01cc factory hight?

Post by F9K9 »

Welcome to the forum! I'm hoping someone else can help you with your questions because most of us have been trying to fit a larger tire on a 15" wheel all these years.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I only recall one or two members running 18" and larger wheels. I am fairly sure they both had at least 5" lift.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
LUVMY02CREW
Crew
Crew

Post by LUVMY02CREW »

Got a question along the line of the op...

Would it matter if the wheel is 15, 16, 18 or 20 inches if you have the same tire circumference/height & width and same backspacing on your wheel?

Or to put it another way...As long as the overall dimensions of the tire/wheel combo are the same, would it matter what the size is of the actual wheel?

:?:
[size=75]ALWAYS pray for and expect the best, but be prepared for the worst! Life seems to operate a little smoother for me this way[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

It would not matter at all if the overall package size is the same. Finding tires to make the same package might be a problem though. Wheels can be an issue too. I don't think it is likely you will find a 20"x7" wheel 5x4.75 with 6" rearspacing, along with a set of 235/45-20 tires built for a light truck.

I could be wrong though? :shrug:

If you are strictly looking for a steet rig, it may be possible. Tighter clearances can be run and used carefully the weaker passenger car wheels might be an option.

On a stock crewcab plan on a tire with a section width no more than 9". Height 28" or less and a wheel with as close to 6" rear spacing as possible. Keep the wheel width down to 7" if possible.
If you stay within an inch of the stock tires/wheels, it is likely the package could work for you.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
LUVMY02CREW
Crew
Crew

Post by LUVMY02CREW »

HenryJ wrote:It would not matter at all if the overall package size is the same. Finding tires to make the same package might be a problem though. Wheels can be an issue too.
HenryJ - your response gives me hope...I've still got about 12 more years till my youngest son should be outta college and on his own. Maybe between now and then I can start saving up money and have enough time to search for a combo that would work. :lol:
[size=75]ALWAYS pray for and expect the best, but be prepared for the worst! Life seems to operate a little smoother for me this way[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

It will not be cheap, but it is out there. I do see 20x7-120mm wheels with 5.8" rearspacing. That is getting very close. Not a fit but encouraging. 235/45-20 tires are available.
With some looking and about $3k , you should be able to find some. It is likely that they will be P rated and not designed for the loading that a truck is capable of for both side and weight. On a streeter with nothing in the back, they should be fine.

- ThunderII KE7CSK