New Rough Country 2.5 lift

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

riceburnr2005
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

New Rough Country 2.5 lift

Post by riceburnr2005 »

Hey guys I was looking around and noticed that rough country redesigned their lift for the crews. now they include diff drop brackets with the kit to help with the cv angles. perhaps this kit might be looking in to now..what do you think?
U.S. Marines
2003 CC LS, indigo blue, Spectre Cold Air, OBX throttle body spacer, descreened MAF, hunter bull bar, BAJA off road lights, 15x7 Crager soft 8 wheels, 31x10.50x15 Goodyear Wrangler Authority tires, cranked TB's, Daystar 2 inch shackles, 2" PA body lift, 1.5 inch spacers in the rear, Access TonnoSport Tonneau cover, reese hitch, carbon fiber front chevy badge, Lund bug deflector, roof rack from a blazer, Kenwood CD player, JVC 6 1/2 speakers.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: New Rough Country 2.5 lift

Post by HenryJ »

Gotta link? The only one I see is the same old a-arms and keys lift. No bueno.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
sonomadude4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by sonomadude4x4 »

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Yup, keys and shackles.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
blaz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by blaz »

That kit does have a diff drop bracket. It looks like it drops the diff about an inch. It also has shocks and new control arms. Not the old kit at all. I am waiting to hear some reviews.
sonomadude4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by sonomadude4x4 »

yeah me too would be really intreasted in hearing how it does allthough i may not cause im considering selling the crew and dont know if ima be able to not put this on it before i were to sell it lol
riceburnr2005
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by riceburnr2005 »

theres a guy over on s10 extremist who says he has one installed, he wrote a short description on the kit, sounds like there's still a couple kinks in the kit hopefully rough country will work these out..im considering purchasing one when i get back to the states.

http://www.s10extremist.org/forums/view ... 26&t=22002
U.S. Marines
2003 CC LS, indigo blue, Spectre Cold Air, OBX throttle body spacer, descreened MAF, hunter bull bar, BAJA off road lights, 15x7 Crager soft 8 wheels, 31x10.50x15 Goodyear Wrangler Authority tires, cranked TB's, Daystar 2 inch shackles, 2" PA body lift, 1.5 inch spacers in the rear, Access TonnoSport Tonneau cover, reese hitch, carbon fiber front chevy badge, Lund bug deflector, roof rack from a blazer, Kenwood CD player, JVC 6 1/2 speakers.
LoneWolf04
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by LoneWolf04 »

I'm wondering if he was having problems with the CV shafts hitting because he didn't install the keys suppied with the kit. The keys are what gives the lift the lift. You will obviously get some lift cranking your stock ones up as far as they can, but they will only go so far. He might not experience the hitting if installing the keys and lifting the front end up more.
paintballrocker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by paintballrocker »

Yup, keys and shackles
if i read it right the new kit has the diff drop to compensate for the bad angles of the keys when theyre cranked. so whats wrong with a key/shackle set up like this?
[size=75]2002 CC, westin push bar with 2 lights, bed cover, custom made cat-back exhaust.......soon a steering stabilizer mod, lift, sounds system[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

It does change the pinion angle. That will help keep the driveshaft together. How much it drops the differential is still unclear. An inch would be a help to the CV angle. Maybe the boots will stay in place? I'm not sure that I am a fan of cutting the housing and relying upon a plate bolted to the axle tube face.
I don't see the lower a-arms lowered. That does not leave much room to lower the differential without interference. That said, any difference is an improvement.
Still a few more problems though. Lower ball joint beyond its operating range. Lower a-arm angled down too far. Any up travel creates negative camber. The a-arm down this far reduces leverage and increases the spring rate. That makes for a rough ride.
Will it work for a mall crawler? I think so. Better than before. Is it better than a body lift? No way. Not for this application.

Getting closer. Build some tube lower a-arms. Make a it a long travel kit and we will have something.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
sonomadude4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by sonomadude4x4 »

yeah it would be nice if they get it figured out cause then would have a much cheeper lift option if u run a 2 inch body lift and this 2.5 inch lift u could get allmost 5 inches which would be alot cheeper than buying the BDS or the superlift kits