Time for new tires..

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

PATRICKH
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Time for new tires..

Post by PATRICKH »

Any suggestions? Staying with stock size.
[size=75]"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things"[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Time for new tires..

Post by HenryJ »

What driving conditions and habits, terrain, budget. Noise or quiet, aggressive or tame? Mileage.
Stock as in the 235/70-15 or the optional offroad 235/75-15?

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

My preference BFG AT KO's 235x75x15 size. Wear well not too noisy, good overall traction, and good looks on the truck. JMO I'm on my second set currently.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
PATRICKH
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by PATRICKH »

Yeah, guess that info would have been helpful. 235/75. Mostly interstate highway miles (350+ per week) so good highway manners, wet traction, and unfortunately, a pretty strict budget of $550. I do like the BFG's, but the ones I like are out of my $$ range.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

In your price range and for mostly highway stuff, I'd give the Yokohama Geolandar H/T tire a shot. Tirerack shows them for $105 each.
I don't have experience with this tire, but the time spent on the M/T and the AT were good for me. I trust the Yoko's.
Next up might be the Dunlop Radial Rover A/T. We have had members run the Rover M/T and like them. That was quite a while ago now though. Those come in at $112 each.

If you had another $100 for the set then the BFG TAKO becomes a possibility. They will last longer than either of the above I suspect. Probably ride better too. I suspect that the BFG has a snow rating too and will meet traction device requirements.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
blaz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by blaz »

You could also check out the walmart authorities if budget is a major factor. I don't know how they will last, but they do have siping for wet traction. I have never heard anything bad about the BFG AT's though, so it may be worth saving a little extra money.
PATRICKH
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by PATRICKH »

Cool, good tips. Looking at the BFG's at our local sears. Do like the geolandars too. Probably going with them. Thanks for the posts.
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Just did a quick check online at one of the suppliers I use. (onlinetires.com) Set of 4 on sale right now total with shipping to your zip code $613.39. I know that's a little over what you said but if you can spring for it worth it IMO.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
LoneWolf04
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by LoneWolf04 »

Take advantage of any deals on financing and rebates at your local tire places too. Discount tire always has something going on, especially if you get one of their care car one credit cards. If your purchase is $500-999 you get 6 months interest free. That's what I did for my set of wrangler dura-tracs. Also, do some google searching to find any rebates that might apply to the brand you are looking for and where you will purchase. When I bought the goodyears I had a coupon that was through ValPak that was for discount tire and also signed up for TreadLightly.com and got money back from goodyear on their tires for becoming a member.
MinnesotaMudder
Crew
Crew

Post by MinnesotaMudder »

Check out Treadepot.com there is always good deals.