work/play/insanity need help finding parts

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

fire_craft

work/play/insanity need help finding parts

Post by fire_craft »

i have a 2001 crew cab 4x4 s10, i belive it is the LS model. this is my primary truck for every thing i do. i am looking into making a full bed replacement to assist in hauling supplies, kayaks, camping gear, and the such. at current the truck is completly stock except for the 31 silent armour im running on the factory rims. i do use this truck to pull around a 16 ft flat bed trailer and a two horse trailer also. it does see off road very offten while im working around the house. with that said, i also use it for road trips, and to make the 350 mile one way trip to work at least twice a month. im just now getting into doing the mods, so i really have no idea where to start . im looking for suggestions where to find a suspension lift kit that will allow me to run 33s for extra ground clearance (i have already high centered several times). i also need to find a way to increase the weight rating, horse power, and torque. i would like to accomplish all this and still maintain good drivablility. got a feeling that it aint gonna be cheap, but doing things right rarely are. as for the bumpers, rub rails, skid plates, and the such im planning on making them my self. havent come across many that i like the look of and that will stand up to the abuse this little truck sees. i know most are wondering why i dont just get a bigger truck. honsetly the small size of this one is invaluble, i can get into and out of areas on the farm that the 2500 chevy could never think of. besides, its just plain fun when you see the look on peoples faces when you hook to a fallen tree in a ditch and pull it out, or load down with hay, or any of the other insane things it does. i really do love this little truck . thank yall for all of yalls help.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: work/play/insanity need help finding parts

Post by HenryJ »

Seek the MML (Marvelous Mystery Lift) That is the only way to 33" tires, IMO.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Welcome to the forum fire_craft. To run 33's you will need a Superlift 6" suspension lift (very expensive) or the MML which is a 2" body lift, 1"-2" t-bar crank, new rear spring pack or lift shackles, wheel spacers, and maybe some fender trimming/massaging. A new spring pack will increase the bed weight capacity and also improve towing heavy trailers. For more hp and tq you will need a good air intake system like Spectre, K&N, AEM, a high flow muffler like Flowmaster, Gibson, Magnaflow, a handheld tuner like Hypertech, Jet, or a custom tune from PCM 4 Less, Wait 4 Me, etc. Converting to electric fans can also free up some hp. Headers, higher lift rocker arms with matched springs, and a larger throttle body are some other ideas. Removing the airflow restrictor on the throttle blade is a great "free" mod that makes the throttle more responsive. To make even more power you could add a supercharger or swap in a V8. Some other good mods are upgrading the lousy factory shocks to Bilsteins, and upgrading the factory rubber sway bar bushings and end links with Energy Suspension polyurethane bushings.

We have all done pretty much everything you can do to these trucks so read through the topics for more info or ask if you can't find something.

Steve
fire_craft

Post by fire_craft »

thanks for the info. now i have an idea where to start. ill deffinitly be back very soon.