Look what i did this weekend!

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

paintballrocker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Look what i did this weekend!

Post by paintballrocker »

Heres a few teaser pics for yall. Id start my build thread now but i just got out of the shop and am tired! Took me all three days to get the front axle hung. This will be a weekend project. Im Hoping to be done by the end of the month.

http://i407.photobucket.com/albums/pp15 ... /008-1.jpg

http://i407.photobucket.com/albums/pp15 ... 56/003.jpg

http://i407.photobucket.com/albums/pp15 ... 56/010.jpg

http://i407.photobucket.com/albums/pp15 ... 56/015.jpg

After work tomorrow ill try to add more info to this build thread!
[size=75]2002 CC, westin push bar with 2 lights, bed cover, custom made cat-back exhaust.......soon a steering stabilizer mod, lift, sounds system[/size]
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: Look what i did this weekend!

Post by _STUCKY »

It looks good.
Is it a kit?
Home built?
What axle?
What axle for the back?
spring over rear?
What transfer case? Stock case or what?
Do these trucks get the astro van steering box and an xj pitman arm like the old body style? Or something else?
What size tire?
What front leaves?

Details...

Edit: I'd like to see pictures/info for/about:
the spring hanger on the back of the front springs, both sides
Spring perches/ steering/ front crossmember
Any crossmember changes needed for the driveshaft and exhaust
Whatever you have planned for the back
Your driveshafts when you get them done (homemade or having a shop do it?)
Any changes for the brakes

I can't think of anything else....

On pirate, a lot of those guys are notching the frame at the front and hanging the new crossmember in it to keep the ride height down. Like this: ( its an old body style, same effect. The spring eyes are higher)

14x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 14x4 »

NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rock:
_STUCKY wrote:Do these trucks get the astro van steering box and an xj pitman arm like the old body style? Or something else?
Yup. I've seen people use various pitman arms depending on their setup. I'm using the pitman arm that came on the Astro steering box.
03 ZR5. 4-Linked Dana 44
paintballrocker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

_STUCKY wrote:It looks good.
Is it a kit?
Home built?
What axle?
What axle for the back?
spring over rear?
What transfer case? Stock case or what?
Do these trucks get the astro van steering box and an xj pitman arm like the old body style? Or something else?
What size tire?
What front leaves?

Details...

Edit: I'd like to see pictures/info for/about:
the spring hanger on the back of the front springs, both sides
Spring perches/ steering/ front crossmember
Any crossmember changes needed for the driveshaft and exhaust
Whatever you have planned for the back
Your driveshafts when you get them done (homemade or having a shop do it?)
Any changes for the brakes

I can't think of anything else....

On pirate, a lot of those guys are notching the frame at the front and hanging the new crossmember in it to keep the ride height down. Like this: ( its an old body style, same effect. The spring eyes are higher)

That truck is Arbs over on s10forum. But no I didnt notch the frame. Ill try to get you pictures of everything you requested this week man! My axke is an Dana 30 from an XJ cause its a non vac disco axle and it has the bigger ujoints, so its about the strongest dana 30 you can get. But once i get back state side ill be putting in dana 44's. The swap kit i bought is from Offroad Direct, http://www.offroaddirect.com/chevy-94-04-S10_c_16.html. They have a coil sprung kit and leaf spring kit. Im using the leaf spring kit. For the leaf springs im using rough country 3" jeep wagoneer front springs. The ORD kit uses any 47" front spring. For steering im using the rugged ridge steering kit. Its stock jeep TRE's but has 1.25" DOM tubing. For the steering box right now its stock box and a XJ pitman arm, which is about 4-5" drop from factory. The steering angle doesnt look bad so im going to hold off on the astro box until i need to get better angles. The front brakes are facotry jeep calipers and extended jeep xj lines. The front drive shaft will either be an XJ shaft or explorer shaft depending on what length i need. The tcase is getting the front output shaft swapped for a shaft from a jeep np231. It gets rid of the splined shaft and you get a ujoint yoke for the front. Heres the link for the swap, http://outsideventure.com/Projects/tcase_mod The factory tranny xmember will be replaced by the ORD one to clear the drive shaft. The rear is the stock 10bolt for now becuase i dont have access to any good axle choices. The the rear is just a simple spring over from ORD. I already have a add a leaf in the rear so the flip kit is all i need. the rear brakes are just extended lines for an XJ. The new wheels are 15x8 4" Backspacing and my tires are BFG KM2's 33x12.5. If i didnt cover what yall wanted just let me know and ill give ya the info. Ive been researching axle swaps for 2 years before i started mine.
[size=75]2002 CC, westin push bar with 2 lights, bed cover, custom made cat-back exhaust.......soon a steering stabilizer mod, lift, sounds system[/size]
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

That sounds like a nice parts list. But I thought you needed the astro van steering box to get the pitman arm to swing the correct direction. And an 8.8 is a good choice to match the Dana 30.
paintballrocker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

you dont have to use the astro box. but most people do to get a flatter steering angle, but it has nothing to do with getting the arm to swing the right way. And i know the 8.8 is the normal rear to go along with the d30 but im not in the states, im stationed overseas so my axle choice were very limited. the only axles here are dana 30 & 35's from the few jeeps
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

From Offroaddirect:

The S10 lug pattern and ABS system may be retained by using the S10 unit bearing to XJ adapter ring and re-drilling the jeep rotors. (Not included in the kit but available from Off-Road Direct).

Are you going to do this?

Also the picture was from here:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1007615

I really like that build because it shows that something like this can be accomplished without 1 ton axles, an expensive shop, and an over the top budget. That guy used half ton axles and leaves to start with, but then cut it all off...
paintballrocker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

no im not going to use the stock s10 hubs and abs. im going to delete the abs module under the hood and just go to a standard system and rerun all my brake lines.

And yea that build is Arbs as i said. he has the same build thread on s10 forum.
14x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 14x4 »

paintballrocker wrote:no im not going to use the stock s10 hubs and abs. im going to delete the abs module under the hood and just go to a standard system and rerun all my brake lines.

And yea that build is Arbs as i said. he has the same build thread on s10 forum.
I was terrified about not having ABS right after the swap. I was sure that when the snow fell, I'd go straight into a tree or into the vehicle in front of me. I was worried for nothing.

You won't miss it.
03 ZR5. 4-Linked Dana 44
paintballrocker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

14x4 wrote:
paintballrocker wrote:no im not going to use the stock s10 hubs and abs. im going to delete the abs module under the hood and just go to a standard system and rerun all my brake lines.

I was terrified about not having ABS right after the swap. I was sure that when the snow fell, I'd go straight into a tree or into the vehicle in front of me. I was worried for nothing.

You won't miss it.
Thats great to know. i was a little concerned, but not much. What master cylinder/proportioning valve did you use? im still researching which on to go with
paintballrocker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Welp i got some more porgress done on saturday! I got the steering hooked up, drop pitman arm in, rear axle flipped, rear diff cover installed, and new tires and wheel installed.

http://i407.photobucket.com/albums/pp15 ... 956/tr.jpg

I might need to go to an astro box, but ill decide that once i drive it. i also might just use some Goforit knucle sleeves and flip the steering to the top of the knuckles which woud help the angle of the steering.

http://i407.photobucket.com/albums/pp15 ... truckk.jpg

Also i think goin with over the knuckle steering itd would help with my diff clearence.

http://i407.photobucket.com/albums/pp15 ... ruckk2.jpg

Rear flipped with the ORD kit. You have to cus the rear brake mounts to be able to fit the flip kit

Anyways heres how it sits now. I love how it looks!!

http://i407.photobucket.com/albums/pp15 ... /truk1.jpg

http://i407.photobucket.com/albums/pp15 ... 56/025.jpg

http://i407.photobucket.com/albums/pp15 ... 56/022.jpg
paintballrocker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Next weekend i have to do the brakes, tranny xmember, tcase shaft swap, and an alignment. then it should be driveable!
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Looking good! Are you going to wheel it any? Only asking because it looks like you're going to have to use a sawzall on the front fenders.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
14x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 14x4 »

Looks bad ass.
F9K9 wrote:looks like you're going to have to use a sawzall on the front fenders.
That's no biggie. :mrgreen:
03 ZR5. 4-Linked Dana 44
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

Sawzalls can be thereputic.

Did the front tires go forward? If so, what's the wheelbase now?
paintballrocker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Thanks all! oh of course its gonna get wheeled haha. im not sure if Im going to leave the axle in the fwd position or move it back. the leaf springs have an offset centering pin and the leaf perches have 3 different mount holes. so ill have to play with the postion.
_STUCKY wrote:Sawzalls can be thereputic.

Did the front tires go forward? If so, what's the wheelbase now?
Yea its moved foward. you can see in the last pic. im not sure how long the wheel base is.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

paintballrocker wrote:Thanks all! oh of course its gonna get wheeled haha................
I had hoped to hear that answer but, you don't realize how many heeps that I have seen rolling 37s that have never even see gravel. Their owners would freak at the mere thought of running on something like the parents of the gravel. That 8.8 suggestion was a good idea on the rear for later. With the right shafts on both the HP D30 and the 8.8 you can hammer on them pretty hard with 33s or even 35s if, you use some common sense.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

I fully agree with that!

I abuse my yj every time I touch it. It's a 95, so the dana 30 has the bigger ujoints, and it's a CAD, which doesn't work. The inner c is bent on the drivers side from a previous owner. With non grease able ujoints (they are solid. Grease able is hollow), and new gear oil, I've had absolutely 0 problems with it. Granted, it is a 2.5 and is usually on 31s. Honestly, I'm waiting for it to break, kinda wanting it to break, because I have an explorer 8.8 and another yj Dana 30 with TJ shafts. When I break either the front or rear it's getting 4.88s and a rear locker. If/when I break shafts, it will get chromoly.
paintballrocker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

heres a teaser till i sleep and get some more info/pics posted!

http://i407.photobucket.com/albums/pp15 ... 56/037.jpg
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Sweet, new shoes!
That looks alot like Paul's truck when he first went SFA

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

What's new with this?
paintballrocker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

everything is welded, shocks are on, all new fluids. Got one stuck caliper on the front d30 so im waiting to hit the junkyard tomorrow, and then i should be able to drive it
LoneWolf04
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by LoneWolf04 »

Sweet ride! :rock: I hope to eventually do it to my crew with coils up front. Ive got a 95 s10 ext. cab that I've SASed and still drive, but shes old and falling apart from michigan rust. Shes the michigan beater truck until I move.
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

So what's new with this? Any pictures?
paintballrocker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

hey guys, sorry for the lack of updates. Trucks driveable. and i just scored a set of skidz flares brand new never installed. Ill try to get pics up tomorrow for everyone to drool over
paintballrocker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

hey yall, its been awhile. slowly chipping at this thing, did the abs delete, scored a set of skidz flares, reworked my steering problem, changed out the bad unit bearing. now all i have to do is figure a way to reconnect my ebrake cable. but here is a current pic of her next to my buddies xj for height comparison.

btw the xj has 3.5" lift and 31's

http://i407.photobucket.com/albums/pp15 ... 56/001.jpg

heres a clearence pic of the front diff, the tire on the ground is 10" wide, i measured and have roughly around 11" of ground clearence at teh fron diff

http://i407.photobucket.com/albums/pp15 ... /003-1.jpg
mars2878
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by mars2878 »

Looking good.
We want more pics, please.
01 Sonoma sls crew cab - 00 Camaro rims, lear cap w/additional led int light, reese hitch, 99 envoy dash outlets, 98 bravada switch plates & hvac knobs.
03 grand am se 3.4 auto sedan - 02 gt ram air induction parts, aftmkt taillights.
paintballrocker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Hey yall, its been forever since i updated this. I had to fight the struct UK inspection laws the past 3 months. They dont like custom vehicles over here too much.

So since the last update i switched the pitman arm from an XJ to an YJ, theres about a 2" drop difference between the two. The XJ was hitting the diff. Bought a set of Crown Performance 6" XJ lines to replace the cheap ebay lines i first bought. Fixed the stuck caliper with a reman one. Deleted the ABS using a different 3/4ton chevy master. And bought a rubicon express steeering stabilzer, which I havent installed yet. But it drives fine wihtout it, no bumpsteer or anything. Also I did the skidz cuts, and started getting the skidz flares on, but there on hold right now for a free weekend. Also picked up a 20" LED light bar and stuck it on the front bumper.

This summer I plan on going spring over and removing a leaf or two form the front pack. There too stiff right now and I want to soften it up a lil and be able to flex more. So with that plan i picked up a JB4x4 cross over steering bracket.

To do list still:
Go spring over
Finish Skidz flares install
Buy steel for bumper and sliders
Install the CB I have sitting around
Mod the Ypipe and cut down the XJ front drive shaft

ABS deleted with master swap
http://i407.photobucket.com/albums/pp15 ... /008-2.jpg

Lil flex on a stump
http://i407.photobucket.com/albums/pp15 ... 198776.jpg

Most I got her to flex so far
http://i407.photobucket.com/albums/pp15 ... b44e51.jpg

And finally got it Stuck haha
http://i407.photobucket.com/albums/pp15 ... 72eaea.jpg
mars2878
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by mars2878 »

Nice flex
01 Sonoma sls crew cab - 00 Camaro rims, lear cap w/additional led int light, reese hitch, 99 envoy dash outlets, 98 bravada switch plates & hvac knobs.
03 grand am se 3.4 auto sedan - 02 gt ram air induction parts, aftmkt taillights.
jpturner928
Crew
Crew

Post by jpturner928 »

paintballrocker wrote:Hey yall, its been forever since i updated this. I had to fight the struct UK inspection laws the past 3 months. They dont like custom vehicles over here too much.

So since the last update i switched the pitman arm from an XJ to an YJ, theres about a 2" drop difference between the two. The XJ was hitting the diff. Bought a set of Crown Performance 6" XJ lines to replace the cheap ebay lines i first bought. Fixed the stuck caliper with a reman one. Deleted the ABS using a different 3/4ton chevy master. And bought a rubicon express steeering stabilzer, which I havent installed yet. But it drives fine wihtout it, no bumpsteer or anything. Also I did the skidz cuts, and started getting the skidz flares on, but there on hold right now for a free weekend. Also picked up a 20" LED light bar and stuck it on the front bumper.

This summer I plan on going spring over and removing a leaf or two form the front pack. There too stiff right now and I want to soften it up a lil and be able to flex more. So with that plan i picked up a JB4x4 cross over steering bracket.

To do list still:
Go spring over
Finish Skidz flares install
Buy steel for bumper and sliders
Install the CB I have sitting around
Mod the Ypipe and cut down the XJ front drive shaft

ABS deleted with master swap
http://i407.photobucket.com/albums/pp15 ... /008-2.jpg

Lil flex on a stump
http://i407.photobucket.com/albums/pp15 ... 198776.jpg

Most I got her to flex so far
http://i407.photobucket.com/albums/pp15 ... b44e51.jpg

And finally got it Stuck haha
http://i407.photobucket.com/albums/pp15 ... 72eaea.jpg
Man I bet MOT time for ya is fun?
[size=75]BE YOU
Do what you do[/size]
paintballrocker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Yes dang MOT inspection was a pain in the butt!

But no real updates, other than Ive been riving it daily and abusing it every weekend.

I leave england to come back to a base in the states in a few months, when I do the truck is getting a dana 60, 14 bolt full float and 37's. oh plus a v8!!
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I still wanna see some pics with those "flares".
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

Do you have a ford 60 or are you going passenger side drop?

Edit: and are you planning hummer wheels to keep it skinny?
paintballrocker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Reed- I can show a picture of them sitting in my shed haha I only had them on for about 2 weeks till i took them off because i bounced them off a few trees and did not want to break them! But they are going back on before I ship my truck back to the states.

Stucky- I currently do not have a front axle yet. I have a 14 bolt full float sitting at my house back home, just got to find a front axle while Im home on leave. Itll either be a kingppin ford or a kingpin chevy and then Ill run a np241 with vss.

as for wheels Im looking to use hummer H2 wheels or a similar backspaced wheel. With those wheels and 37's and the skid flares, the tires will barely stick out