Vibration in front end.

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

PATRICKH
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Vibration in front end.

Post by PATRICKH »

Over the last 6 months, I have replaced the upper and lower ball joints, tie rod ends, pitman arm, drag link, both front wheel bearings, brake rotors, calipers, u joints in the drive shaft, bought new tires and have had them balanced and rotated twice. Had a full alignment done. Even replaced the shocks.

I still have a vibration in the front end that I cant get rid of. I first thought that maybe the cv joints were suspect, but all the usual signs are not there. (no clicking in sharp turns, either left or right) and the boots look good, no signs of grease leaking.

The vibration now feels like the front passenger side tire is bouncing. Could the torsion bar be loose or maybe the bushings be going out? I have 189,000 miles on the truck and I'm sure they are original.
[size=75]"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things"[/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Re: Vibration in front end.

Post by killian96ss »

The t-bar can't loosen up and cause vibrations like your describing. If the control arm bushings are really worn out it could cause all sorts of vibrations or knocking noise, but from my experience those bushings usually last a long time. If they are really bad, it should be obvious. When you rotate the tires front to rear, is the vibration still the same? Is the vibration constant or does it only happen when turning? Are you feeling this vibration in the steering wheel?

Steve
Silentmerx
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Silentmerx »

I was going to suggest what Killian about rotating the tires from front to back or even an unbalanced wheel.
PATRICKH
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by PATRICKH »

Yeah, the tires have been rotated 2x and it was there before I bought new tires. I notice it mainly at about 40 mph and again from 60 to 70 mph.

It does not appear to be transmission related, as it does it when Im driving and I put it into neutral, it stays the same.

No vibration in steering wheel.
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Are you sure it's suspension related and not something like a bad motor mount or transmission mount? You can hear the vibration, but can you feel it in any way? The PCV pipe/hose can rattle against the firewall making a weird humming/buzzing noise. Just trying to think of other things since your've already replaced everything except bushings.

Steve
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

I have experienced a vibration like you describe on a vehicle other than my CC. Ended up being an inner CV joint. In my case also there was no visible damage. When I removed the CV shaft and did hand manual inspection the inner joint had failed and allowed the shaft to run out of true and vibrate like crazy. Of note was when it would vibrate many times you could let off the gas and it must have centered itself and would not vibrate for a while or at least till acceleration or bumps in the road would set it off again. my :2: worth
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
PATRICKH
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by PATRICKH »

@killian96ss- Yeah, it doesnt feel like something vibrating against another. Its suspension related I'm almost positive.

@roadrunner-That sounds almost exactly like what I'm getting. It will go away for a bit, but it comes back after any slight bump in the road. Should have checked that first.

Thanks for the input guys. I went for a while there with no repairs, but seems Im back to work
!
PATRICKH
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by PATRICKH »

So, how hard are the CV shafts to replace? I have replaced the front wheel bearings, so I know how to get it that far. I'm assuming thats probably the hardest part.
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

PATRICKH wrote:So, how hard are the CV shafts to replace? I have replaced the front wheel bearings, so I know how to get it that far. I'm assuming thats probably the hardest part.
You will also have to pop the lower ball joint stud out of the steering knuckle so you can slide the CV shaft out of the hub and you will also need to pry the CV axle out of the front diff since it's held in by a snap ring. While you have the CV shaft out, check the grease seal where the axle goes into the steering knuckle. If the seal is worn out or damaged you should replace it.

Steve