Rear Suspension

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

MinnesotaMudder
Crew
Crew

Rear Suspension

Post by MinnesotaMudder »

I took my back bumper off yesterday to get it painted and noticed that the rear driverside was lower then the rear passanger side. I measured all around the truck and the rear driver side is about an inch lower then the rest. could this be the suspension problem or something else? Oh and I have a 04 cc ZR5 with the 6'' SL.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Rear Suspension

Post by HenryJ »

Full tank of fuel and a driver add quite a bit of weight to that side. It could be sagging a little with time. Check the front too. See if the torsion bars are evenly adjusted. Their adjustment can load the rear unevenly too.
Probably a good idea to check the tire pressure and make sure your bed mounts are in good condition.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
MinnesotaMudder
Crew
Crew

I check the tire pressure it is the same all around. I will check the torsion bars and the bed mounts tomorrow. Thanks for the help.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The torsion bars can be a little different, but they should not be drastically uneven. Keep in mind that if you adjust them, you must re-align the front end.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
MinnesotaMudder
Crew
Crew

really I need to re-align the front end if I touch them. I just got that done a couple of weeks ago afer I got my new tires put on. A front end alignment is $80. Oh well I have to do what ever it takes to keep me happy.
Silentmerx
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Silentmerx »

I did notice yesterday when I was doing my lift and body lift that the driver side is like 1/8" - 1/4" lower in the rear compared to the passenger side. But I do have a full tank of gas, and the front were both the same.
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

I think they all have the chevy lean...
2002 GMC Sonoma crew cab 4x4. Tb mod, Air box mod, pre cat delete,B&M shift improver, Trans cooler, Big three ,AD-244 alt,Red top Optima, e-fan, HD Radaitor,265/70-16' on 16x8 TA wheels,, t-bar tweek, 1.5 inch shackles and 2 inch body lift,Skids fender trim, 1.5 inch wheel spacers in front and 2.5 in back, Quad mod and Frog lights.
Transfercase vacuum switch change DO IT!!!
MinnesotaMudder
Crew
Crew

Well I checked the bed mounts they are in good shape. The torison bars are also good. It seems that I am not the only one with this problem so I am not as concerned. I just wish I could even it out. It bothers me now that I noticed it.
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

I fixed mine when I made my shackles.... I tried to move the springs from right to left and it was the same.
So when I made my shackles I made the drivers side a little bit taller...It's been like that for about two years now.
2002 GMC Sonoma crew cab 4x4. Tb mod, Air box mod, pre cat delete,B&M shift improver, Trans cooler, Big three ,AD-244 alt,Red top Optima, e-fan, HD Radaitor,265/70-16' on 16x8 TA wheels,, t-bar tweek, 1.5 inch shackles and 2 inch body lift,Skids fender trim, 1.5 inch wheel spacers in front and 2.5 in back, Quad mod and Frog lights.
Transfercase vacuum switch change DO IT!!!
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

New rear springs or swapping from side to side might help. Adding leaves like the BSW kit would help too. Best bet is to live with it. You are the only one who will really notice :)

- ThunderII KE7CSK
MinnesotaMudder
Crew
Crew

yeah your right I am the only one that noticed it. I think when I put the bumper back on thursday it will make it look better.
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

I while back I too had lean noticeable at the rear. A check of the frame height to the ground in the front revealed one side sagging a bit. Leveled the front via torsion bar adjustment which also corrected the afore mentioned lean. At least it's not visible now as it was before. :thumb: 8)
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.