31x10.5x15

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

NewToThis

31x10.5x15

Post by NewToThis »

Hey everybody. As my name indicates, I'm new to this. On Sunday, I will be purchasing an '02 Sonoma ZR-5 with 22K original miles. I love the way these trucks look and it was easy to convince my wife this is a great/versatile family vehicle! Anyways, I want 31x10.50.15's on it. Probably some BFGoodrich all-terrains, so not too knobby. What is the best way to achieve this? Would a 2" BL do the trick? I really don't want to cut anything on this truck! Also, I love the black cragar soft 8 rims. Factory rims size is 15x7, so I would think I could do a 15x7 soft 8, but what would be the appropriate backspacing? I'm sure this has all been addressed on here before, but any help is greatly appreciated! I will post a pic of the truck ASAP!
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: 31x10.5x15

Post by HenryJ »

Welcome :wave:

You will need a 2" body lift and the torsion bars adjusted to the maximum Z height. Plan on adding a spring lift or shackles to the rear.

I would suggest you look for 30x9.50-15 tires. Measure the fender opening. It is only 31" on the rear.

To get 31" tires you will have to select a "small" 31" tire and as rounded a sidewall lug as possible. Some trimming or massaging with a BFH will be required for the pinchweld at the rear of the front fender. Even then offroad you are going to rub.

You will need to stick with the stock wheel size and rear spacing. 7" wheel and 6" rearspacing. The tires will rub the frame, so building up the stops is needed.
Plan on installing the fullsize bump stops up front to keep from rubbing the top of the front fender.

You can add wheels with less rear spacing or wheel adapters to eliminate the frame rub. That will increase the scrub radius and fender interference becomes an issue.

Every change has a consequence. Decide what makes sense for you. There are tons of posts and many combinations. Happy searching!

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK